Jump to content
Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Truck driver 1

MSN NEWS.Met Police PC found guilty of raping woman in Antigua

Recommended Posts

Truck driver 1

A serving Metropolitan Police officer is facing a lengthy prison term in the Caribbean after he was convicted of raping a woman.

Constable Lee Martin-Cramp used his job to win the victim's trust before carrying out the "most deplorable" attack while on holiday in Antigua in May 2015.   https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/met-police-pc-found-guilty-of-raping-woman-in-antigua/ar-AABPGT8?ocid=spartanntp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements


ParochialYokal

Whilst we should respect the Court’s decision, what is missing in this case is any reporting on the defence that the PC put across. One imagines this is because no journalists travelled to Antigua to report the case, so we only have the Prosecution’s account of what happened.

 

At face value, he ‘drug raped’ an American- an individual whom was a virgin and also very religious. However, I am not sure that there was any forensic evidence to support the ‘drugging’? It is a genuine question, rather than a statement of fact- was there any forensic evidence of drugs?

 

In the absence of any such evidence, it would have been her word against his. There would have been a hypothetical motive on behalf of this female to get this ‘chalked up’ as rape if she got horny in the heat of the moment, which lead to her having sex outside of marriage and losing what she referred to in text messages as her ‘V Card’.

 

Let’s also further consider that this is the first ever extradition to Angtigua and there may have been a political pressure to convict an extradited Police Officer from the country that acted as their former pseudo-colonial masters, as they are a former British Protectorate.

 

There is a side issue as to whether the process was fair and equitable in terms of the human rights aspect of him being forced to serve a sentence in a prison called ‘1735’- aptly named after the year it opened. The conditions are dire and I don’t understand on what basis they decided to extradite him.

 

These are questions that I would like more information about in order to better understand whether this is a just outcome. However, that should be framed within the context of me asserting that I am not saying that I disbelieve the victim. It’s just that my critical mind wants a bit more background because what we have here is a young MET PC whose life is in tatters and whom will now be spending 10 - 20 years in a rat infested hell-whole of a foreign prison.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

London police officer who spiked drink and raped Tinder date is jailed for 15 years in Antigua

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-officer-rape-lee-martin-cramp-jail-court-antigua-woman-sentence-a9002551.html

i am not bringing into question the guilt of the ex-Officer. I just want to see and hear the forensic evidence that he spiked the victim.

It just seems to have been reported as a fact that he did, as opposed to reporting on what evidence was put before the Court. 

This was the UK’s first extradition to Antigua, so it is entirely appropriate to ask questions about the judicial process.

At least the Antiguans have not imprisoned him in their ‘hell-hole’ of a jail and have housed him in a custodial setting that adheres to modern standards of decency. That doesn’t detract from the fact that he now faces a 15 year stretch and, if he did what the Court ruled he did, then I hope that he festers as the prime years of his life go to waste. 

I just wish there was a bit more detail in the reporting. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Billy Blue Tac
Posted (edited)

I don't read much UK press so don't know if this is a duplication but the local Antigua Observer reports this.

https://antiguaobserver.com/disgraced-british-policeman-jailed-for-rape/

 "...the victim left the room to change. She returned and when she resumed drinking her wine she noticed it had a strange taste – something she immediately mentioned to the cop, who replied that he had gone into her fridge where he found vodka and added some to the wine. He further explained that mixing the wine this way was something widely done in the UK.

The woman recalled that she had a few more sips of wine and began feeling dizzy, so she stopped drinking it. The cop then forced himself on her and she resisted, but was overpowered. She later woke up bruised and in pain..."

Edited by Billy Blue Tac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Billy Blue Tac
Posted (edited)
On 12/07/2019 at 18:59, ParochialYokal said:

I just want to see and hear the forensic evidence that he spiked the victim.

It just seems to have been reported as a fact that he did, as opposed to reporting on what evidence was put before the Court.

...

I just wish there was a bit more detail in the reporting.

My source tells me that the bulk of the evidence was her testimony and his significant statements on social media.

Apparently she did not retain the wine bottle and glasses for forensic examination, and no medical evidence was recovered at the time as she didn't report the offence immediately; only doing so after he made some admissions on social media.

Antigua didn't get a SARC until 2 years after she was raped, but hopefully now victims who make early disclosures can get support and corroboration rather than relying on she-said-he-said-she-said.

 

Edited by Billy Blue Tac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ParochialYokal
15 hours ago, Billy Blue Tac said:

My source tells me that the bulk of the evidence was her testimony and his significant statements on social media.

Apparently she did not retain the wine bottle and glasses for forensic examination, and no medical evidence was recovered at the time as she didn't report the offence immediately; only doing so after he made some admissions on social media.

Antigua didn't get a SARC until 2 years after she was raped, but hopefully now victims who make early disclosures can get support and corroboration rather than relying on she-said-he-said-she-said.

 

Well, let’s just hope that he is guilty and that this isn’t a miscarriage of justice. 

Drugging someone is clearly an aggravating factor and the sentencing should reflect that but I am not convinced that this element was proven beyond all reasonable doubt. Unless, of course, he made admissions regarding that element on social media, which is possible but unlikely. 

I am sure that he will appeal and, ultimately, the final stage of such an appeal would be heard by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements


SD

The young woman said she maintained WhatsApp contact with her rapist after the incident so she could eventually get him to admit the crime. When he did, in the process telling her to pretend it never happened, she reported it to the police and the information was used as evidence in court.”

looks like he admitted it in a what’s app message. Pretty conclusive to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Zulu 22

The story is reported in more detail in the Daily Mail.  However, true to form, the Mail shows its accuracy in the photographs. Cramp apparently joined the Met in 2014 and it shows photographs of him, in uniform, alongside a Blue and White liveried Morris 1000 Panda Car and an Austin 1100 Panda Car. Now forgive me for being picky but I cannot recall when we stopped using these vehicles but it was years before 2014. I am trying to remember them in use in my service and I cannot remember them being in use. They went out with the Ark.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7246527/Tennessee-nurse-breaks-silence-raped-British-police-officer.

However the report is quite conclusive about his guilt. He was tried and convicted including a WhatsApp confession. I have no sympathy for him and his 15 years gives him time to reflect on his behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements


Indiana Jones

The cars are from the Met's historic fleet and completely unrelated to the article. I suspect he had his photo taken with them at his passing out parade in Hendon - back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Zulu 22
19 minutes ago, Indiana Jones said:

The cars are from the Met's historic fleet and completely unrelated to the article. I suspect he had his photo taken with them at his passing out parade in Hendon - back in the day.

Thanks for that. No wonder I could not recall seeing either of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements


ParochialYokal
On 14/07/2019 at 20:09, SD said:

The young woman said she maintained WhatsApp contact with her rapist after the incident so she could eventually get him to admit the crime. When he did, in the process telling her to pretend it never happened, she reported it to the police and the information was used as evidence in court.”

looks like he admitted it in a what’s app message. Pretty conclusive to me. 

I am only asking questions, as I am intrigued as to why a PC would behave like this.

However, where have the content of the WhatsApp texts been reported? It’s a genuine question, as I cannot see where the content is reported.

Its understandable that there wouldn’t be UK journalists present in an Antiguan Court to hear the case- although I bet a few submitting a request to go and report the matter only to be knocked back in these times of austerity. However, there are gaps in reporting and I am just asking to see or hear reference to the facts of the case, rather than assertions that he ‘drugged her’ or ‘admitted’ his crime.

Quiet frankly, I would hope that someone would be asking those questions if I was convicted in a foreign Court and there were gaps in reporting.

I am just edging towards the position where I can say with conviction that I hope he rots in a foreign hell hole of a jail. I’m almost there but not quiet... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Billy Blue Tac
1 hour ago, ParochialYokal said:

I am only asking questions, as I am intrigued as to why a PC would behave like this.

However, where have the content of the WhatsApp texts been reported? It’s a genuine question, as I cannot see where the content is reported.

Its understandable that there wouldn’t be UK journalists present in an Antiguan Court to hear the case- although I bet a few submitting a request to go and report the matter only to be knocked back in these times of austerity. However, there are gaps in reporting and I am just asking to see or hear reference to the facts of the case, rather than assertions that he ‘drugged her’ or ‘admitted’ his crime.

Quiet frankly, I would hope that someone would be asking those questions if I was convicted in a foreign Court and there were gaps in reporting.

I am just edging towards the position where I can say with conviction that I hope he rots in a foreign hell hole of a jail. I’m almost there but not quiet... 

 

Read my link to the Antigua Observer (probably one of the most reliable papers in the area) posted above and again here for ease of reference which says:

The young woman said she maintained WhatsApp contact with her rapist after the incident so she could eventually get him to admit the crime. When he did, in the process telling her to pretend it never happened, she reported it to the police and the information was used as evidence in court.

On 12/07/2019 at 19:05, Billy Blue Tac said:

Also, the victim has recently waived anonymity to CNN, here:

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/07/13/us/antigua-rape-trial-extradition/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2Fsearch%2F%3Fq%3DAntigua%2B

 

That's probably as much as there is in the public domain as the courts do not publish trial transcripts unless it's quoted in an appeal judgment's obit or similar.

 

Antigua and Barbuda has its problems like everywhere else but is not a tinpot backwater, and like most other Commonwealth countries it has a criminal justice system that closely resembles that of E&W.

As for trying to understand why he did what he did - judging by other news reports posted on this forum it seems that there isn't much an officer wouldn't do to commit all manner of offences.

Edited by Billy Blue Tac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Billy Blue Tac

Oops. My final paragraph should read this:

6 hours ago, Billy Blue Tac said:

As for trying to understand why he did what he did - judging by other news reports posted on this forum it seems that there isn't much some officers wouldn't do to commit all manner of offences.

Sorry folks :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK. In 2019 the decision was taken to merge all four forums into this main form of www.police.community

Get in touch

Twitter

Facebook

    Meet The Team

  • Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David
    David Global Moderators
  • Fedster
    Fedster Global Moderators
  • Devil
    Devil Global Moderators
  • MindTheGap
    MindTheGap Global Moderators
  • blakey
    blakey Global Moderators
  • Techie1
    Techie1 Global Moderators
  • Sir Penguin
    Sir Penguin Global Moderators
  • PCW
    PCW Global Moderators
  • Hoofing
    Hoofing Global Moderators
  • XA84
    XA84 Global Moderators
  • Remmy
    Remmy Global Moderators
  • job_done
    job_done Global Moderators
  • Sapor62
    Sapor62 Global Moderators
×
×
  • Create New...