Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Cezla

Warrant card

Cezla

Officer is out on foot patrol in full police uniform including helmet. They are not dealing with any incident. They approached by a member of the public who states "Show me your warrant card" 

Are they required to do so?

XA84

@Cezla I have moved your topic to a more apt area for your question. 

It is now based in 'senario city'. 

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to answer your question. 

Member Achievements

Indiana Jones

Are they required to do so?

No.

Member Achievements

Mazza

Helmet

We have a Standard Operating Procedure in our force which covers this. We don’t have to show our warrant cards if we feel it’s gratuitous or potentially dangerous, a shoulder number is enough for whatever purpose you require.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

I believe our policy states we only need to provide our warrant card when exercising a police power whilst we are not in uniform. There may be some exceptions, such as posting it though someones letter box if they are wary about opening the door to strangers and there's no peep hole or window nearby.

In many circumstances mearly stating you are a police officer is enough. Whilst anyone could of course lie about that, they would be committing various offences by falsely stating or intentionally purporting to be a police officer or wearing any part of the uniform.

Could you imagine the sheer chaos if there was a requirement to produce a warrant card on demand? Particularly if there were for instance hundreds of people lined up asking?

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

Additional.

Legally there is no reason a Constable cannot exercise a power which doesn't require them to be in uniform if they do not have their warrant card. For instance, if I were to forget my warrant card whilst out walking or going to the shops and witnessed a crime take place then I would be able to use my police powers to arrest them. (Some would argue that those would be s.24a PACE any person powers - but that would be for any person other than a Constable. There is no stipulation that a warrant card is necessary and I would still be a Constable as I am sworn is as such, until the day I resign etc).

Policy may require us to be able to produce our warrant card in certain circumstances but it doesn't over ride the law and wouldn't be a sound excuse for someone to resist a lawful arrest.

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

As far as I'm aware there is no requirement in our Force to carry one's Warrant Card on or off duty.  I habitually do, on duty my vehicle black box card is in the same holder and needs swiping every time you start up [or want to use the printer/photocopier] and my habit comes from my time in the army where there was a Service Law requirement (at least ether was when I joined) to carry ID at all times.  If Joe Q Public came up to me in uniform and asked to see it I'd ask them why.  If they were just curious as to what it looked like then I'd probably engage and show them.  If they are going off on a Freeman trip then they'd be politely told to bog off.

Edited by MajorDisaster

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

We are required to carry warrant cards at all times. 

Member Achievements