Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Member of public 1

THE SUN.Cops let suspects go free to avoid 60-mile drives to police cells

Member of public 1

Police force representatives believe station cutbacks explain why arrests have halved nationally even though crime has been soaring.  https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9006788/police-cutbacks-cells-suspects-walk-free/

Edited by David
Odd formatting removed

Radman
22 hours ago, Truck driver 1 said:

Police force representatives believe station cutbacks explain why arrests have halved nationally even though crime has been soaring.  https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9006788/police-cutbacks-cells-suspects-walk-free/

To be fair I've always tried to report someone rather than resorting to arresting them and conveying them to the cells some 25minutes drive away.

This was the standard BTP practice even when I joined some 10 years ago due to it simply being easier to do for most offences, resourcing considerations (10 years ago you were often the only BTP cop on duty at your post, as soon as you were taken off the front line there would be no cover.) It also practically netted the best results from a suspect (people not under arrest tend to be more willing to talk and provide an account, atleast in my experience) it also gave you a two week breathing period to get your bits and pieces together before submitting a file to the Justice Unit. 

Now-a-days this personal policy of mine remains in place, I just use the interview room alot more what with the changes to audio recorded interviews (a change in law that frankly came out of the blue and was unnecessary.) 

I often thought to myself that when I first started my policing career local HO cops would lock people up for everything and anything, prisoners were just booked in "prompt and effective" and nothing was ever said. I don't know if cops just forgot they could report, it  was never considered. Years ago a friend of mine who was a serving special and spent hours on duty a week in HO asked me what I did in BTP, when I told him about reporting people on summons he gave me a blank stare and said "Oh is that a BTP only thing?" 😂

I just think it was poorly utilised and explained in the past. 

Cathedral Bobby
10 hours ago, Radman said:

To be fair I've always tried to report someone rather than resorting to arresting them and conveying them to the cells some 25minutes drive away.

This was the standard BTP practice even when I joined some 10 years ago due to it simply being easier to do for most offences, resourcing considerations (10 years ago you were often the only BTP cop on duty at your post, as soon as you were taken off the front line there would be no cover.) It also practically netted the best results from a suspect (people not under arrest tend to be more willing to talk and provide an account, atleast in my experience) it also gave you a two week breathing period to get your bits and pieces together before submitting a file to the Justice Unit. 

Now-a-days this personal policy of mine remains in place, I just use the interview room alot more what with the changes to audio recorded interviews (a change in law that frankly came out of the blue and was unnecessary.) 

I often thought to myself that when I first started my policing career local HO cops would lock people up for everything and anything, prisoners were just booked in "prompt and effective" and nothing was ever said. I don't know if cops just forgot they could report, it  was never considered. Years ago a friend of mine who was a serving special and spent hours on duty a week in HO asked me what I did in BTP, when I told him about reporting people on summons he gave me a blank stare and said "Oh is that a BTP only thing?" 😂

I just think it was poorly utilised and explained in the past. 

Great way of saving on stretched resources, less time spent dealing with the case, no difference in outcome when they go to court, no arrest record ego needing to be massaged. Win, win, win, win

skydiver

I would have thought that a simpler explanation would be that there are less cops around so less people to respond to jobs and therefore less arrests, although the reduction in the number of custody suites probably has had an effect.

Zulu 22

A really poor article that even outs Dolgellau near Berwick On Tweed, a distance of over 200 miles away.  This is one of the results brought about as a consequence of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act that was never thought out. There ae many people who should be arrested but they are not because it removes officers from the streets for a ludicrous amount of time. I can just remember, before PACE, when you would lock someone up, the Charge Office Sergeant would accept the custody and they would be housed whilst you resumed patrol, or enquiries and dealt with the admin and charging of the prisoner at a quitter time of the shift. 

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, Zulu 22 said:

A really poor article that even outs Dolgellau near Berwick On Tweed, a distance of over 200 miles away.  This is one of the results brought about as a consequence of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act that was never thought out. There ae many people who should be arrested but they are not because it removes officers from the streets for a ludicrous amount of time. I can just remember, before PACE, when you would lock someone up, the Charge Office Sergeant would accept the custody and they would be housed whilst you resumed patrol, or enquiries and dealt with the admin and charging of the prisoner at a quitter time of the shift. 

Yeap and the Judge's rules by which we were governed were printed on the inside page of the cover of your PNB. Far simpler but I remember people being let out the back door from custody and officers running out of the front door of the nick to meet them as they left to lock them up for another offence, thereby starting the 24 hour clock over again. Bit naughty and the kind of behaviour that had brought about PACE.

Zulu 22
7 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Yeap and the Judge's rules by which we were governed were printed on the inside page of the cover of your PNB. Far simpler but I remember people being let out the back door from custody and officers running out of the front door of the nick to meet them as they left to lock them up for another offence, thereby starting the 24 hour clock over again. Bit naughty and the kind of behaviour that had brought about PACE.

I don't know where you worked but that is completely alien t behaviour to me. 

IrateShrike
4 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

I don't know where you worked but that is completely alien t behaviour to me. 

And even if it were true, it's still a case of doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons.  But we digress...

Edited by Lone Wolf