Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Fedster

101 'failings' are turning non-emergency calls into a crisis of confidence, HMICFRS warns

Fedster

Public fed up of waiting for someone to answer'.

Confusing picture: Callers having to wait switch from 101 to 999

Confusing picture: Callers having to wait switch from 101 to 999

Date - 3rd May 2019
By - Nick Hudson - Police Oracle

Non-emergency callers to the police increasingly fed-up of waiting for someone to answer are dialling 999 instead as they “lose confidence” in the 101 system, a report has warned.

Minor offences are being reported on the main emergency number as calls to 101 dipped by almost 675,000 in one year – down three per cent.

Figures published by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services show that in 2018 calls had fallen to just over 22 million while at the same time, calls to 999 increased by almost half a million – up five per cent.

HM Inspector of Constabulary Matt Parr said the figures suggested people were "losing confidence" in the 101 system – with a decrease in the proportion of respondents who think the police are easy to get hold of in an emergency.

He said: "We do our own survey of public perceptions and we think the reason 101 calls have been going down is because the public are getting fed up waiting for someone to answer it and so they call 999 instead, which they have more confidence in."

Findings from the HMICFRS inspection came just 24 hours after outgoing Victims' Commissioner said the “failing” 101 service should be overhauled.

She set out a blueprint for improving the long waits and charging system causing many people to “give up” on the non-emergency number – demanding those repeatedly affected by anti-social behaviour be given the same entitlement to support as other crime victims.

Scathing in her assessment of how the problem was being dealt with by police forces and local councils, she said people are left to "suffer in silence" amid shortcomings in the response by partner agencies and "depressingly little" had changed since her husband Garry was kicked to death by vandals outside their home in 2007.

The new HMICFRS inspection covered 14 force areas, with contrasting performances in maintaining confidence in the 101 system.

In the West Midlands area, Britain’s largest regional force, calls to 101 were rose almost 8,000 year on year.

There was a similar pattern in Greater Manchester with non-emergency calls down almost 100,000 and 999 ones up more than 42,000.

Baroness Newlove said the HMICFRS findings “very much echoes what I have been hearing from victims when I have been travelling around the country” of victims hanging on for 40 minutes or longer before they get a response.

She added: “Others have just given up or, out of frustration, they escalate to 999.

"Victims also tell me they use the line to report issues and then nothing happens.

"I want to see the line properly resourced to offer a swift response, to be free of charge and that victims see follow up action.  Anything less and it is just window dressing."

Former minister Tim Loughton believesthe government should take advantage of Brexit to abolish the charges including the 20 per cent VAT that was collected on 101 calls, arguing that "law-abiding citizens should be encouraged to report crime not penalised financially for it”.

View On Police Oracle

Member Achievements

Techie1

They think people are phoning 999 instead of 101, or they know?

On twitter in looks like a fair few forces are heavily pushing online channels rather than 101 - that might have had some impact on it? 

Could there be other reasons calls to 999 have increased? Maybe something around knife crime? Seems to be more of it! 

Finally properly resourced, yep, sounds like a plan. Give the whole public sector more money to do this. Not just policing, AMBO, NHS, social care, etc. 

Member Achievements

Jimbo26
Posted (edited)

I wish they would have difficulty calling 101 in my area. Chardonnay manages to get through no problem, regularly reporting her neighbour called her a slag, and wanting her 'done'.

Edited by Jimbo26
  • Like 2

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

It is a confusing system for some. There have been lots of calls where people have dialled 101 instead of 999 for crimes in progress which do actually require an immediate response yet it's 10 minutes down the line when they get through, it can be very frustrating when as an officer tasked to go to the immediate it's likely the parties involved have escaped by mere minutes.

You get genuine callers who are worried that calling 999 will get them in trouble somehow if it's not serious enough. Conversely, you do get some of the most rediculous 999 calls also!

Member Achievements

Jimbo26
Posted (edited)

Sadly 101 is clogged with f***wits from the local swamp estates trying to get each other done for some minor petty name calling. These are the same people who bleed the NHS and Social Care dry. 150 yrs ago these people would've just died off (survival of the fittest), however our current system allows them to thrive and use up more and more of the meagre resources.

I'm not suggesting these people are left to die, just there needs to be an acceptance by those in charge that modern values allow these people to thrive and breed at a faster rate than normal people so more money needs to be invested in areas that they use a lot.

Edited by Jimbo26
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Radman
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Jimbo26 said:

Sadly 101 is clogged with f***wits from the local swamp estates trying to get each other done for some minor petty name calling. These are the same people who bleed the NHS and Social Care dry. 150 yrs ago these people would've just died off (survival of the fittest), however our current system allows them to thrive and use up more and more of the meagre resources.

I'm not suggesting these people are left to die, just there needs to be an acceptance by those in charge that modern values allow these people to thrive and breed at a faster rate than normal people so more money needs to be invested in areas that they use a lot.

😂😂😂

I think @Jimbo26 just vented years of response induced, pent up, frustration.

I do think some of the folk we deal with seem to have stopped mentally developing around the age of 14 or 15ish, their entire outlook on life is self centered, self focused with no wider understanding of the bigger picture or the impact they have on other people. 

I've resorted now to just being brutally honest with these folk, telling grown adults they're acting like children and need to get a grip of themselves, in a tactile way of course... 😅

I cannot stand the tactic often seen employed by NHS or social services where they resort to talking to people in a soft, motherly tone of voice when facing totally unreasonable behaviour, it reminds me of the typical non-disciplined focus parents when out in public and their kid is throwing a tantrum infront of everyone. 

"Oh this isn't nice, daddy will get you some sweets if you calm down... No don't bang the table that's very naughty" 

Only it's more:

"If you calm down you can go out and have one of my cigarettes, stop being abusive, that's not very nice is it?" 

We don't really give people a reason to work anymore, if you aren't brought up with a solid work ethic or motivated you can simply just sit idly by on the state who will provide every want and need in your life. 

Edited by Radman

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, Radman said:

😂😂😂

I think @Jimbo26 just vented years of response induced, pent up, frustration.

I do think some of the folk we deal with seem to have stopped mentally developing around the age of 14 or 15ish, their entire outlook on life is self centered, self focused with no wider understanding of the bigger picture or the impact they have on other people. 

I've resorted now to just being brutally honest with these folk, telling grown adults they're acting like children and need to get a grip of themselves, in a tactile way of course... 😅

I cannot stand the tactic often seen employed by NHS or social services where they resort to talking to people in a soft, motherly tone of voice when facing totally unreasonable behaviour, it reminds me of the typical non-disciplined focus parents when out in public and their kid is throwing a tantrum infront of everyone. 

"Oh this isn't nice, daddy will get you some sweets if you calm down... No don't bang the table that's very naughty" 

Only it's more:

"If you calm down you can go out and have one of my cigarettes, stop being abusive, that's not very nice is it?" 

We don't really give people a reason to work anymore, if you aren't brought up with a solid work ethic or motivated you can simply just sit idly by on the state who will provide every want and need in your life. 

On some estates it like watching a live Jeremy Kyle outside broadcast. Shameless is tame compared to some estates.

Member Achievements

Jimbo26

I joined before mobile phones ad the internet. The only options a fu**wit had was to walk to the local police station or use a phone box.  Most were too lazy to drag their tack-suited backside out of the chair so it was never reported. The 1% that managed to incorporate a trip to the dole office with a trip to the nick were greeted by an old sweat PC who would give them a Gene Hunt response and send them on their way.

Member Achievements

Jimbo26

We have two local dim witted families whose offspring have mated and produced a truly freakish child. The gene pool is so shallow the kid looks like a cast member from 'The Hills Have Eyes', or some weird Frankenstein experiment. What is worrying is they keep on reproducing.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, Jimbo26 said:

I joined before mobile phones ad the internet. The only options a fu**wit had was to walk to the local police station or use a phone box.  Most were too lazy to drag their tack-suited backside out of the chair so it was never reported. The 1% that managed to incorporate a trip to the dole office with a trip to the nick were greeted by an old sweat PC who would give them a Gene Hunt response and send them on their way.

I joined in 1985 and watching Ashes to Ashes brings back some wonderful memories including defending oneself with a bin lid. A simpler time without doubt, but fun. Taking on the bad guys in your tunic and piece of wood in your pocket. You knew there was trouble when officers put their custodian chinstrap in place. The great unwashed bred and created more great unwashed who gave birth to Chavs and Scallies. Makes you question Darwin's Origin of the Species theory. Seems with some that evolution at best has come to a dead end, if not gone into reverse.

Member Achievements

Jimbo26
31 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Makes you question Darwin's Origin of the Species theory. Seems with some that evolution at best has come to a dead end, if not gone into reverse.

His theory is right, the problem is we have interfered with it and  keep the weak alive so they don't die off. The worry is (and this is genuine) because they breed at a great rate than normal people we will see a reversal of what is happening in the animal kingdom where the weak outnumber the strong. Fortunately this won't happen in my lifetime.

Member Achievements

Radman
25 minutes ago, Jimbo26 said:

His theory is right, the problem is we have interfered with it and  keep the weak alive so they don't die off. The worry is (and this is genuine) because they breed at a great rate than normal people we will see a reversal of what is happening in the animal kingdom where the weak outnumber the strong. Fortunately this won't happen in my lifetime.

The threat is real... 

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, Jimbo26 said:

Be careful, these are some of the theories popularised by a certain party in the 1930s and that didn't work out well for 50 million people, mostly innocents.

In reality the difficulties the police face are cultural as opposed to intelligence. Successive governments have allowed a growth in an underclass to develop. Never working, poor education, antisocial behaviour the norm, no aspirations other than wearing being and the newest pair of Nike trainers.

I often think with some of these people were born without brains because we judge by our standards, but within their estates and culture they probably do pretty well, it depends by which standard you measure success.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
5 hours ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Be careful, these are some of the theories popularised by a certain party in the 1930s and that didn't work out well for 50 million people, mostly innocents.

In reality the difficulties the police face are cultural as opposed to intelligence. Successive governments have allowed a growth in an underclass to develop. Never working, poor education, antisocial behaviour the norm, no aspirations other than wearing being and the newest pair of Nike trainers.

I often think with some of these people were born without brains because we judge by our standards, but within their estates and culture they probably do pretty well, it depends by which standard you measure success.

@Cathedral Bobby  Re your post, especially the middle bit, i  tend to agree. I was a special for quite while from the very early seventies and had plenty of time to reflect on such like, especially when helping out the regulars late on fri/sat night.  However over the years i thought [and observed first hand] that the lawbreakers/recidivists were invariably  “products of their environment”. Drug taking of one sort or another and drinking to excess  were a part of every day life.  Often as not they had no one to set them on the right way of thinking from the word go, perhaps couldn't  escape from a bad place either even if they wanted to. I often thought how lucky i had been with my family and upbringing.

Regarding dialling 101, i dont think paying a small sub bothers too many people, its the long wait to get a response, [any response] that makes them mad, me included. Rich.

Member Achievements