Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Fedster

Stop and search cut violent deaths in London by a quarter'

Fedster

Extra 40,000 checks helped to trigger fall in stabbing numbers.

Making a difference: A knife arch search on London's streets

Making a difference: A knife arch search on London's streets

Date - 3rd May 2019
By - Nick Hudson - Police Oracle
3 Comments3 Comments}

Tens of thousands more stop and searches and extra officers on the streets are driving down the “ghastly” toll of violent deaths, it has emerged.

Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick also credited double-digit reductions year-on-year for homicides and young people stabbed on targeted policing methods and covert operations.

Ms Dick was speaking at Scotland Yard as new figures revealed killings in the capital were down by a quarter and injuries from stabbings among the under 25s was down by 15 per cent.

The officer said efforts to combat violent crime had been stepped up over the past year and the force was now seeing "real progress" with an additional 40,000 annual stop and searches proving “very effective” – resulting in the confiscation of knives and guns every day.

She said: "My key metric has always been injury to under 25s, especially on the street, and we have 15 per cent less, 311 less young people stabbed."

Stop and search was all but abandoned after the riots in 2011.

Under Theresa May as Home Secretary, the tactic was discouraged on the basis that it was resulting in a loss of public confidence in the police and unfair targeting of young black men.

Searches fell from more than 1.2 million incidents nationally in the year to March 2011 to fewer than 280,000 in the year to March 2018.

By contrast Home Secretary Sajid Javid has championed the policing method and the reduction in the murder rate is the first sign that increasing stop and search has been effective.

Stop and searches in London have risen 30 per cent in the last year to 172,000, which equates to 471 a day.

The seizure of some £101 million of criminal cash was up 50 per cent on the previous year, she said.

"We know that has a big impact on criminality. We know that if we target the money that takes us back to the drugs and guns."

She added: "I am confident that we will continue to step up our efforts and continue to make real inroads into these pernicious crimes."

Commissioner Dick said the reasons for the drop in violent crime were complex, but the drugs markets were a "big problem".

She said: "There is a large demand, there is big money to be made and there is a lot of fights going on between drug gangs. Those young people have either been the victim or the offender or both.

"But there is a whole range of other issues that have played into this. I believe we are suppressing the violence. That has absolutely, definitely resulted in the reduction."

Over the past 12 months, there were 122 homicides recorded by the Met, with 32 fewer victims than the period before, excluding the nine killed in terrorist attacks in 2017.

Six out of 10 killings in London – 69 – in 2018-19 were stabbings. Ten victims were shot.

The majority of victims were male – a total of 83 compared with 37 women.

The largest number – 50 – were of Afro-Caribbean ethnicity, followed by white Europeans with 44.

There were 14 Asian deaths, seven Mediterranean-looking Europeans and two Arabian or Egyptian, the figures showed.

The data also showed a reduction in other types of violent crime in the capital.

Knife-related injuries among under-25s reduced by 15 per cent, from 2,079 to 1,768 young people.

Knife crime with injury across all ages was down by 10 per cent and gun crime by 6.8 per cent.

Moped-enabled crime dropped by more than half – 52.3 per cent to 11,390 – and acid attacks were also down by 30 per cent.

But knife crimes, including possession of a blade, saw a slight increase of just over 0.5 per cent to 14,843.

Commissioner Dick was speaking just hours after a 15-year-old boy was stabbed to death – the eighth to die this year – and a 16-year-old boy injured in Hackney, east London.

Five young people are knifed in the capital every day.

Referring to the most recent death, she said: "The figures, put into the context of what happened overnight, can seem rather bald and cold and unemotional.

"Each death is absolutely ghastly. Each young man stabbed is a horrible thing for them, their family, friends and community and for the person who did the stabbing, often it wrecks their lives as well."

View On Police Oracle

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Lesson on how to twist and misrepresent figures. Extrapolated over a 3 to 4 week period. There is no doubt that extra "Stop and Search" will have an effect but let us see what the figures are for a year on year comparison. I still see no move to increasing the Police manpower to 2009 levels.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, Zulu 22 said:

Lesson on how to twist and misrepresent figures. Extrapolated over a 3 to 4 week period. There is no doubt that extra "Stop and Search" will have an effect but let us see what the figures are for a year on year comparison. I still see no move to increasing the Police manpower to 2009 levels.

I concur!

Member Achievements

David

Extra 40,000 checks helped to trigger fall in stabbing numbers.

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. Whoever would have thought it?

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
32 minutes ago, David said:

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. Whoever would have thought it?

Let's hope they are starting to learn their lesson, although if the Trotsky Troika get into government, well we will probably all have to write personal letters of apology to each person searched.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Shock horror at tthe heading.  It ccould have been "Black people 40 times more likely to carry a knife"  There are parts of the country where the Black Community outnumber Caucasian by 40 to 1. 

Member Achievements

skydiver

I wonder what crimes are going up due to resources being diverted to knife crime.  Its like a game of whack a mole  where you literally hit one crime hot spot only to see another one pop up somewhere else.  I've read that traffic officers have been drafted in and I'd assume that neighbourhoods and response also have been abstracted, so what is happening to their day to day crime whilst knife crime is being emphasised.  

Member Achievements