Early Retirement 25 years but under 50?

Bailey99

Hi.

My question is at what point can I take early retirement?  I will be 47yrs old on 25 years service. 

I understand I can't access my pension until I am 50yrs?  Does this mean I could retire at 47yrs and then have my pension paid when I'm 50yrs or do I have to stay in the Service until I'm 50? 

I've recently had spinal surgery and I'm struggling at work, currently on restricted duties. I'm hoping I can manage the last 4 years until early retirement. I don't want to resign because then I become a deferred member and wouldn't be able to access my pension until I'm 60.

Many Thanks.

Why not take early retirement and then join the BTP?

Pensions, mixed with advise and mixed with medical is a recipe that really says to seek guidance from the Fed or competent person who understands the permutations.  Any advise here may give you a false hope or distress 

Hi,

I will speak to the Fed however I'm hoping to avoid medical retirement. So my question really is can I retire aged 47yrs and then have my pension on my 50th Birthday?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi

If you have 25 years or over in the old 87 scheme then yes, you can access it from 50. If you are in a combination of schemes then you can only access the 2015 one from 55 (with a reduction). 

• 2 months later...

Ok thanks, I only have 17 years in the 1987 scheme and was forced onto the 2015 pension. Doesn't look like it's worth staying for the next 3 years to get to 25yrs service then.