Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
SierraEcho

Ear piece and PTT

SierraEcho

Who here uses an earpiece/ptt accessory on their radio ? For some strange reason response coppers in the met rip people for using them; i personally find them easier to work with, especially when in loud events.

anyone else use? 

SimonT

I have always used one, hate it without. 

Never seen the need to broadcast everyone's business directly into the face of the people I'm dealing with. 

Are you free to speak? Yep, always. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Traffic Rat

Nope, refuse to as a genuinely believe my hearing loss in 1 ear is partially due to use of one in my early years of service.

Member Achievements

SimonT

I always use mine in the same ear, just in case. Somewhat fatalistic 

• Haha 1

Member Achievements

Barbalar

I spent a couple of years back on response after being promote and I remember my PC’s always used to take the ****. In a good natured way obviously. It seems to be a Met thing though about not wearing an earpiece. Mind you, I’d have to agree with Traffic Rats comment - I’ve found that wearing helmet comms has lead to my hearing not being a good as it used to be. How much of that is due to me getting older though is worth the debate!

Member Achievements

Beaker

We have earpieces, but no additional PTT buttons. Just use the radio button.

To be honest I dislike working with people who have radio blaring out. Once you have the car set on a neighbouring area (pretty standard where I work), and your own ear going. Then you're getting the audio through both ears mixed with the car set you can struggle to understand what is going on.

Then you have the obviously restricted info coming over the network while you are speaking to people.

Member Achievements

XA84

From my special days I just had an ear piece and then used the radio. 

I know people who had PTT pieces as well and swore by them but I just found it as easy to use the radio, plus if your dealing with somebody who doesn't want to let you get a word in edge ways going to your radio signals you need to listen or say something so it usually makes people shut up 😂😉

Member Achievements

Mac7

Never used either. Personal preference I guess.

I’m not sure why people would have an additional PTT. Most of the people I’ve seen using them have them mounted in close proximity to the terminal itself.

Member Achievements

Cuddles

I used to always use an earpiece when I was on response but now generally only use one when on a public order deployment, though it is always connected to my radio and wrapped round the Klickfast mount ready for use if required. When we're in the car we're normally monitoring three, sometimes four talkgroups at the same time so we generally use speaker mode in case one of us misses something that the other hears. It can get pretty confusing though!

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf

I got one, it failed within a few weeks.  I asked for a new one and was told no.

I then bought my own one, but I couldn't hear through it very well at all even in quiet ambience.  I thought it was faulty, then found out the H&S police had enforced a maximum earpiece volume level on the handsets which was woefully low and useless for public order deployments with lots going on around you.  So I gave up on it.

Member Achievements

BlueBob
6 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

the H&S police had enforced a maximum earpiece volume level on the handsets which was woefully low and useless for public order deployments with lots going on around you.  

Interesting, ear loss is usually a mid to long-term deterioration, so the H&S police may actually have a point if we reflect back on some earlier comments.

usually 80dB is the threshold for taking preventative measures, with in-ear devices, it’s quite a bit lower before there is a hearing risk.   

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf
3 hours ago, BlueBob said:

Interesting, ear loss is usually a mid to long-term deterioration, so the H&S police may actually have a point if we reflect back on some earlier comments.

usually 80dB is the threshold for taking preventative measures, with in-ear devices, it’s quite a bit lower before there is a hearing risk.   

That may well be true, but my point was that the maximum setting was so low it was useless (and therefore potentially, dangerous) for use in violent situations or otherwise noisy environments.

Member Achievements

BlueBob
3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

That may well be true, but my point was that the maximum setting was so low it was useless (and therefore potentially, dangerous) for use in violent situations or otherwise noisy environments.

Appreciated.  Two quick thoughts -try someone else’s radio and see Ifthey have all been “set” or ask the relevant dept about it.     They seem to enjoyed and effective for lots of others - The second is your hearing may already start to be affected!

Member Achievements

grumeister

Tried an ear piece, hated it. Found i couldnt speak to people properly has i could only hear them in one ear. I found the ear plug uncomfortable and it kept falling out.

Member Achievements

Buck

I used to have one but it gave me tinnitus, been without for 3/4 years now and back to normal, but would never use one again.

Member Achievements

There are 1 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David