Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Minnie1545926337

Ptsd

Minnie1545926337

I was diagnosed with ptsd last year. The trauma is not work related. I am currently off work and heading towards no pay.Both medication and counselling has not worked for me. I am pinning my hope on some therapy that is due to start soon.

my question is what happens if this doesn’t work? I would have then exhausted every treatment option. My gp has indicated I’m not fit for policing anymore and I’m scared I will be off work on no pay and forgotten about because I’m costing nothing. Can work keep me on no pay forever? I had never anticipated to be on long term sick.

thanks in advance 

Mazza

Sorry to hear that pal.

If the GP has said you are no longer fit for policing, do they mean indefinitely?

What have your Occ Health said?

I hate to say this but if you can’t go back to policing and there’s not a suitable alternative for you, I assume that you have to go down the route of medical retirement.

Member Achievements

Minnie1545926337

Hi Mazza, thanks for replying.

The Gp does think it’s indefinitely. 

My report for full pay half way went to the chief who suggested the H1 process. I refused the process at this time because I wanted to go back to work. The gp also suggested the h1 process. 

in addition, I have a physical complication. I have to been see the consultant today who has said it’s a permanent condition, that my days of running after people are over, he also said no sitting or standing for any long period of time. 

OH have said I’m too complex to deal with because of physical and the ptsd so have said they will deal with me when I get return. 

Decisions and decisions. 

Mazza

I suppose it depends on what you are able to do, what you want to do, and what the police can offer you.

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

Ultimately, you have a medical condition that precludes your carrying out the role you are employed for.  That must eventually mean you leaving that employment.  If your doctor says you cannot return to work then assuming the employer cannot make reasonable adjustments as required by law then you will have to accept that you will need to find another job.  

Member Achievements

Minnie1545926337

Thanks major disaster. I have had no option but to start the ill health process. It’s so sad and I never thought I would be in this position but I have to be realistic.