Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Fedster

Officers attacked after attending bogus 999 call

Fedster

Four officers faced savage knife attack.

Officers attacked after attending bogus 999 call

Date - 8th April 2019
By - Martin Buhagiar - Police Oracle
2 Comments2 Comments}

Four police officers were savagely attacked in the line of duty by a knifeman who lured them with a bogus 999 call, a court has heard.

Alex Traykov, 20, allegedly used the alias Solomon to report of a fight in Islington, north London, on the evening of October 6 last year.

When the officers arrived at the address in Liverpool Road, Traykov opened the door wearing a black hoodie with a large kitchen knife behind his back, the Old Bailey heard.

Prosecutor Duncan Atkinson QC said: "Nothing could have prepared them for what awaited them or the fact that rather than seeking to break up violence against others they were about to be subjected to extreme violence themselves.

"Without hesitation or warning, and certainly without the slightest provocation from the officers, he raised his right hand and proceeded to attack the officers."

Traykov first attacked PC Istarlin Said-Ali, 31, bringing the blade down in her head, cutting her hand as she warded off a second blow, jurors heard.

He then allegedly ran at the other officers, lunging at PC Rafal Zedziora, 34, inflicting a 4cm cut to his face and slashed the back of his neck.

He wounded 40-year-old PC Ben Thomson's arm and continued to rain down blows, Mr Atkinson said.

Trayvok, from Redhill, Surrey, was Tasered twice and was finally subdued by PC Launa Watkins, 39, the court was told.

Mr Atkinson said: "It is clear that the defendant was acting throughout in a determined way, making a series of deliberate large movements of the knife towards the officers.

"He continued after them as they sought to retreat. He continued to stab at them after they had fallen to the ground.

"He only desisted from carrying out his attack because of the intervention of the Taser-wielding officer, which finally tamed his torrent of extreme violence."

Mr Atkinson told jurors the officers had responded to the 999 call that night to "diffuse any trouble and prevent harm to the public".

"Those four officers were seeking to perform their public duty to prevent crime and disorder and to keep the community safe," he said.

The Metropolitan Police officers, who had a total of 24-and-a-half years experience between them, were left deeply affected by the "deeply shocking, sudden and fast moving incident", the prosecutor said.

The defendant has denied four charges of attempted murder, and three alternative charges of wounding with intent and one of attempted wounding with intent.

View On Police Oracle

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Similar in some resects to Dale Cregan in Hattersley when he lured  Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes to their deaths in 2012. Of course in that case Cregan was armed with a firearm and grenades and the two officers stood no chance at all.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

Sounds like 1 Glock would have solved the issue quite reasonably. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Hopefully he will get life and serve a substantial sentence.

• Like 4

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
28 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

I:'m surprised the CPS didn't 'plea it down' to Affray....

• Haha 1

Member Achievements

David
2 hours ago, Funkywingnut said:

Sounds like 1 Glock would have solved the issue quite reasonably. 

Perhaps it would but you can't imagine the self-righteous screaming from the rooftops over it, to say nothing of the following ten years of anxiety until the officers are finally cleared?

1 hour ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Hah hah hah.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
5 minutes ago, David said:

Perhaps it would but you can't imagine the self-righteous screaming from the rooftops over it, to say nothing of the following ten years of anxiety until the officers are finally cleared?

Hah hah hah.

Oh I don’t doubt it would be horrific for the officers, despite the fact it would be a reasonable response. 

A worrying type of incident, where officers are directly lured to be attacked.  Reminiscent of the old ways in NI. 

Member Achievements

David

@Funkywingnut Even now I can almost hear the do-gooding self-righteous gathering their skirts to whinge about the male being threatened with a Taser and how he should have been treated more sympathetically.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, David said:

Hah hah hah.

Now @DavidDon't you go bursting my bubble so quickly, I am still wearing my rose tinted spectacles🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, David said:

@Funkywingnut Even now I can almost hear the do-gooding self-righteous gathering their skirts to whinge about the male being threatened with a Taser and how he should have been treated more sympathetically.

He was probably ‘in crisis’ and therefore the Police should have asked him nicely to stop attacking them.  After all it’s their job to be assaulted. 

Im advocating the reduction in justification for use of taser down to ‘Any threatening behaviour, physical or verbal and non compliance to police orders’ in addition to the issuing of taser for all police officers to be carried on and off duty. 

Oh and the new multi shot taser at that, so we can all laugh at a taser dance off outside Cash Converters on a Saturday between Mercedes and Krystal in their PJ’s and velvet pants. 

#onemanonevote

Edited by Funkywingnut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, Funkywingnut said:

Oh and the new multi shot taser at that, so we can all laugh at a taser dance off outside Cash Converters on a Saturday between Mercedes and Krystal in their PJ’s and velvet pants. 

Now in Canterbury there is a youth called Disco Boy who puts on his music and dances stripping down to his boxers. Now from what you're suggesting he might be a candidate for Tazering. If he was to be Tazered it might open him up to creating some new jerky moves.

But back to topic, he is lucky he wasn't shot, which would have been justifiable in the circumstance. Instead he is at court and needs to be incarcerated for a very long time, he is clearly a major danger to the public and has no problem in attempting to kill police officers. 

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Now in Canterbury there is a youth called Disco Boy who puts on his music and dances stripping down to his boxers. Now from what you're suggesting he might be a candidate for Tazering. If he was to be Tazered it might open him up to creating some new jerky moves.

But back to topic, he is lucky he wasn't shot, which would have been justifiable in the circumstance. Instead he is at court and needs to be incarcerated for a very long time, he is clearly a major danger to the public and has no problem in attempting to kill police officers. 

I watched an Australian Court program today (yes I’m on leave) and a suspect had assaulted a police officer by punching them in the face.  The Judge declared that, this offence attracts 5 years in jail.  I hope that actually happens. 

I still cannot fathom the attitude that police officers have, where they find it incomprehensible that more force should be used in order to protect officers in violent situations every day.  The law of averages are that eventually your luck will run out as a cop. 

Let’s be honest, your OST is as much use as ballet lessons in policing. 

The campaign continues, #moretazer

🔫

Edited by Funkywingnut

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

The campaign continues, #moretazer

🔫

I agree, I think every front line officer including students and specials should be equipped with Taser. Interestingly, we have had a number of fairly senior firearms officers suggest that Cathedral officers should be equipped with them. I am yet to be convinced, and clergy will take much convincing, but certainly every HO cop, ports, MTP etc should be. I would probably go further and say all response officers should carry a sidearm. So this chap is lucky because in my world he might have been shot by each officer, so that's four times at least.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
4 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

I agree, I think every front line officer including students and specials should be equipped with Taser. Interestingly, we have had a number of fairly senior firearms officers suggest that Cathedral officers should be equipped with them. I am yet to be convinced, and clergy will take much convincing, but certainly every HO cop, ports, MTP etc should be. I would probably go further and say all response officers should carry a sidearm. So this chap is lucky because in my world he might have been shot by each officer, so that's four times at least.

Do the firearms exemptions apply to your force? Or would that be a major issue? 

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Do the firearms exemptions apply to your force? Or would that be a major issue? 

In order to issue/carry PAVA each constabulary, as with the Ports/Parks police, have to apply for an S5 exemption licence in order to purchase/store/issue. As part of this we have to receive a visit from the local police firearms unit to confirm arrangements. Now as I understand it, that would be the same for Taser, although I don't know any of the private constabularies other than the three national ones who have issued Taser.

Member Achievements

There are 22 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David