Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
XA84

MDP Firearms Training

XA84

Hi all, 

Apologies if this question has been asked before I only ask as I have thoughts of applying to MDP if my current application with my own force goes south.

Upon starting your training with MDP can anyone confirm the process when it comes to the firearms training aspects. I realise that this is a public forum so information will be very limited but I'm hoping to clarify the situation in terms of not meeting the needs of the course. I'm fully aware that should you undertake a firearms course with a home office course and you fail then you are returned to district and told to reapply at a later stage however I'm wondering how this would work with the MDP as the main part of the role is being a firearms handler? If you don't meet the grade are you dismissed from the force?

Any assistance would be appreciated! 

XA84

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

Train till you do meet the standard 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Blue_Homer

If you fail firearms then you get back classed to do it with the next intake. Depending on why you're failing you will either get back classed again or you could possibly get a chance to re-role within the MOD wider, possibly MGS from what I have seen.

You are technically a civil servant so there's some 'safety net' to a degree as more opportunities to apply for IF it happens.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

gallifrey

This answer is absolutely wrong if you don’t come up to standard and can’t pass the firearms course you will be dismissed. The fact that you’re a civil servant doesn’t even come into it as you are on probation when you join and can be dismissed for failing to meet the standards. 

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK. In 2019 the decision was taken to merge all four forums into this main form of www.police.community

Get in touch

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators