Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Truck driver 1

MSN NEWS.Mark Duggan's Family Sue Police Over Death That Sparked 2011 Riots

Inbtsiyp

Well with any luck they will lose this as well and crawl back underneath the rock they came from.

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

There's a surprising amount of support on various media for the family calling conspiracy etc. I doubt this issue will settle any time soon as it will continue to be used as an excuse for people to behave badly. The riots are still etched in memory as colleagues nearby were trapped in a police station whilst being pelted with petrol bombs and about 3 of us responded to jobs!

I don't understand the mentality as there hasn't been a conspiracy. Just cops doing their job and unfortunately someone died because they decided to take an illegal firearm out with them!

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Bad guys who carry guns sometimes get shot. Deal with it. Could have had a far worse outcome, an innocent or police officer could have been killed. As it happened bad guy dead, illegal weapon off the streets. Bad news lots of criminals and thugs found an excuse to riot and loot. Hopefully, many of them were prosecuted and went to jail.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

David

I can't help having a concern that the courts will find it easier and more expedient to uphold the claim.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
Just now, David said:

I can't help having a concern that the courts will find it easier and more expedient to uphold the claim.

Balance of probability may make it easier but the former IPCC didn't, in spite of its extensive efforts, find wrongdoing given they normally hang officers out to dry, so it makes me a little more confident.

Member Achievements

Ether

What is the basis of their case, the police shot their armed criminal relative? 

Member Achievements

skydiver
16 hours ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

There's a surprising amount of support on various media for the family calling conspiracy etc. I doubt this issue will settle any time soon as it will continue to be used as an excuse for people to behave badly. The riots are still etched in memory as colleagues nearby were trapped in a police station whilst being pelted with petrol bombs and about 3 of us responded to jobs!

I don't understand the mentality as there hasn't been a conspiracy. Just cops doing their job and unfortunately someone died because they decided to take an illegal firearm out with them!

They probably think that it is a conspiracy because they can't accept that Duggan was a criminal and therefore there was no reason for the police to shoot him.   It also fits their narrative that the police are biased and that we collectively are racist.

16 hours ago, David said:

If they win maybe the police should counter sue to claim for the cost of the operation which I can guarantee ran into millions of £ and will outweigh any compensation they receive.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

The death of any relative is traumatic, but when it is a criminal thug known for carrying firearms then really is that such a shock. It's like the heroin addict who dies of an overdose, the urban explorer who dies after falling off a high building, the Twocer who parks the car round a lamppost. Sometimes chance runs against you. The officer believed Duggan was armed and posed a risk to them and others. A very large and expensive investigation by an organisation which hangs out officers to dry whenever it could found it was justified. The end.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

It would be interesting to know who is funding the case, and which legal eagle has taken it on and, what are the motives behind it. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
50 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

It would be interesting to know who is funding the case, and which legal eagle has taken it on and, what are the motives behind it. 

Possibly the former Met Chief Superintendent, the same one who wants to bring ISIS terrorist supporter Ms Begum back to the UK. Any chance he gets to have a pop at his former colleagues he does.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

It has been reported that, unbelievably the case has not even reached a Court hearing.  It appears that, again unbelievably, the Met have made a compensation offer which has been accepted by the family. That, rather spineless decision by the Met would seem to open the door for all types of spurious compensation claims. As in many cases Police Forces settle out of Court to avoid costly legal fees, often over £1,000,000. 

Such a settlement betrays both the Inquest findings and all of the officers involved in the case.  Carry a weapon, get shot and your family can claim compensation. As Victor Meldrew would say,  "I don't believe it".

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/mark-duggan-family-of-man-shot-and-killed-by-police-settle-high-court-claim-against-met-a4258361.html

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Truck driver 1

Don't know why they got compensation ,the man was a thug and known to police , they say he had a gun and I find it to be true so what the police did was right to shoot him, and it is wrong to pay out for his death. 👎

Member Achievements

Beaker
50 minutes ago, Truck driver 1 said:

Don't know why they got compensation ,the man was a thug and known to police , they say he had a gun and I find it to be true so what the police did was right to shoot him, and it is wrong to pay out for his death. 👎

While I do agree it is wrong to pay out, it is probably cheaper to pay out than the cost of defending the case in court.  I think they call them Nuisance Payments. 

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
1 hour ago, Beaker said:

While I do agree it is wrong to pay out, it is probably cheaper to pay out than the cost of defending the case in court.  I think they call them Nuisance Payments. 

They are the easy way out and are to be deplored. It sends a message to every wrongdoer to profit from their own misdeeds and actions. They should fight the cases and apply for costs.

Member Achievements