Force mission to 'persuade the rest to make us the best'

Fedster

Head to South Yorkshire where an £8,000 transfer fee awaits and house prices are a third less than national average.

The Good Life: The beautiful Yorkshire countryside is one of the many attractions

The Good Life: The beautiful Yorkshire countryside is one of the many attractions

Date - 22nd March 2019
By - Nick Hudson - Police Oracle

A force still recovering from a legacy of two of the biggest stains in policing history has gone on a charm offensive in a “quest to be best”.

South Yorkshire Police is out to woo fresh blood with a direct appeal to the rest of the UK for “compassionate, resilient and professional” officers.

Its avowed mission is to attract uniform and plain clothes constables to transfer to its ranks in 2019 and make a “real difference to people’s lives”.

And the force, constantly reminded of its failings over the 1989 Hillsborough disaster and the estimated £90 million cost of the Operation Stovewood inquiry into the Rotherham child sexual exploitation scandal, is pulling no punches with its “God’s country” approach to joining Team SYP.

The recruitment campaign goes straight to the pocket of officers considering a switch with a tempting offer of relocation expenses up to £8,000 and the promise of house prices a third lower than the national average.

The accompanying publicity material throws in blandishments including a treasure-trove of shopping opportunities, award-winning museums, parks and green spaces, the largest theatre complex outside London – and a sporting inducement of “home to champion football teams”.

For many serving officers, this could provide a great new challenge in a great new location, the force enthuses.

Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham offer the challenges of urban policing and the attractions of city life, while the Peak District on the doorstep presents rural duties, alongside recreational activities while off duty.

A force statement added: “This is your opportunity to join talented, committed colleagues at our forward-thinking police force, and to use your skills and knowledge to help us achieve our ambitions.”

Chief Constable Stephen Watson gets straight to the point, telling Police Oracle: “If you are a serving officer who has the energy and enthusiasm to help with South Yorkshire Police’s mission to be the best force in the country, we are eager to hear from you.”

“We are seeking compassionate people who are resilient and can readily adapt to quickly changing circumstances.

“In return, we offer a stimulating environment and broad opportunities for career progression.”

The force already has a ‘convert’ candidate who has made a successful switch from a long career in a neighbouring constabulary.

Chief Superintendent Stuart Barton transferred to the force last year after 27 years spent at Greater Manchester Police.

He said of his switch: “Many years ago, it was rare to move from one force to another, but it’s totally changed and the world of policing has totally changed with it.

“From Day One, I could see a real passion at South Yorkshire Police to get the force up the rankings to where it needs to be.

“The police foundation is built on people, we do not make robots, we don’t all stand on production lines; you have to be a people-focused person.

“And the people in south Yorkshire are great people. From the officers to police staff, everyone is really passionate about this place, it has a really great feel.

“For any bobby who goes along to a job, it’s all about doing what they can for the victim. Policing is really quite a simple thing if you get it right. And here, I think people get it right.

“I think there is a strong drive to help out South Yorkshire, and this service, absolutely does care 100 per cent. The chief cares, the deputy cares, and it permeates all the way down the line.”

Coming into the new roles, he said it was never about individuals – but “all about the team”.

View On Police Oracle

Mate works for South York’s are reckons he is in every single set of rest days they are that short of people. 

Just now, Inbtsiyp said:

Anyone know where South York’s ARV’S run out of?

Yeap, run out of officers to man the ARVs.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Inbtsiyp said:

Anyone know where South York’s ARV’S run out of?

To the best of my recollection it is based in Sheffield.

Yeap, run out of officers to man the ARVs.

Cheers mate, I was a little worried seeing as it is Yorkshire that they would still be working out of barns. Thankfully it would appear they have modernised ever so slightly so I may still consider transferring [emoji1303][emoji16]

[mention=48696]Zulu22[/mention]

Thank you.

• Like 1

They're very short of officers and limited on staff. 

I personally wouldn't want to work for them.