Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
grumeister

Blacksmithing

grumeister

Does anyone here do this? Its something i want to start and i have a taster session booked in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
24 minutes ago, grumeister said:

Does anyone here do this? Its something i want to start and i have a taster session booked in a few weeks.

Im interested in doing this also, I hear it can be quite an expensive hobby

Member Achievements

grumeister

I can imagine to get all the gear it can be. I have an old bbq that im debating about trying to convert into a coal forge.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

I think creating a small forge would be reasonably easy, I would go the gas burner way first if I'm honest, from the programs I have watched coal forges seem much more inconsistent. 

Member Achievements

Beaker

Look up brake drum forges. Dad did a bit when he got in to making wrought ironwork, and we built one. They're not brilliant, but they are good enough to stsrt out with.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
Just now, Beaker said:

Look up brake drum forges. Dad did a bit when he got in to making wrought ironwork, and we built one. They're not brilliant, but they are good enough to stsrt out with.

I reckon you could create a gas forge with something like this and some fire back and insulation. https://www.amazon.co.uk/PoundSaver®-Boiling-Portable-Restaurant-Catering/dp/B0763SFJ9B?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_13

Member Achievements

Beaker
I reckon you could create a gas forge with something like this and some fire back and insulation. https://www.amazon.co.uk/PoundSaver-Boiling-Portable-Restaurant-Catering/dp/B0763SFJ9B?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_13
It is to do with intensifying the heat IIRC. When you restrict the space the gas burns in, you can get it hotter. This is from memory, Intried using it and it just isn't a skill I can master.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
2 minutes ago, Beaker said:
5 minutes ago, Funkywingnut said:
I reckon you could create a gas forge with something like this and some fire back and insulation. https://www.amazon.co.uk/PoundSaveremoji2400.png-Boiling-Portable-Restaurant-Catering/dp/B0763SFJ9B?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_13

It is to do with intensifying the heat IIRC. When you restrict the space the gas burns in, you can get it hotter. This is from memory, Intried using it and it just isn't a skill I can master.

Put this in a container such as an old gas bottle with the ends cut off, insulate it I think that would work ???

Member Achievements

Beaker
Put this in a container such as an old gas bottle with the ends cut off, insulate it I think that would work ???
No idea. There were some good tutorials on the 'net 15 years back. I assume there will be sone even better ones now.

I just followed the instructions, and used the old drum off an FX4 that we had spare on the shelf.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
Just now, Beaker said:

No idea. There were some good tutorials on the 'net 15 years back. I assume there will be sone even better ones now.

I just followed the instructions, and used the old drum off an FX4 that we had spare on the shelf.

Maybe worth a try when the weather fares up, definitely not a shed type activity 

Member Achievements

grumeister

This is the bbq i have that i was thinking about. Possibly a bit deep.

My plan was to clean it up, reinforce with clay and use the hole at the bottkm for the air flow. Mahbe build it up a few inches so it has a flay bottom20190315_174904.jpeg20190315_174857.jpeg

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

I think that would do, you could pad it our with fire brick if need be. I still think gas is the way forward, just because you can control the heat

Member Achievements

grumeister

I dont think id trust myself with gas!

I have a taster session in a few weeks so hoping to ask the black smith im with some questions. Especially about toold to assist with the finish. I dont think ill have the spare case for a power hammer, grinder etc

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
1 minute ago, grumeister said:

I dont think id trust myself with gas!

I have a taster session in a few weeks so hoping to ask the black smith im with some questions. Especially about toold to assist with the finish. I dont think ill have the spare case for a power hammer, grinder etc

I reckon you could get a small bench grinder for pretty cheap, hand filling would be horrendous 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/categories/?search=bench grinder

Hammering would have to be all by hand

Member Achievements

grumeister

Thats not to bad to be fair, cheaper than i thought.

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  
There are 12 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David