Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Fedster

Met officers to be given £350 bonus

Fedster

Force says it had budgeted for higher pay award in 2018 so can make "recognition payment" from its existing budget.

Commissioner Cressida Dick

Commissioner Cressida Dick

Date - 7th February 2019
By - Martin Buhagiar - Police Oracle
2 Comments2 Comments}

Metropolitan police officers up to and including the rank of chief superintendent, with a minimum of one year's service, are to be given a £350 bonus.

The move was announced today by Commissioner Cressida Dick amongst a range of decisions the force says will support officers in their roles and recognise their efforts.

She said the MPS had planned for a higher pay award for police officers in 2018 so can make the "recognition payment" from its existing budget.

In a statement the force said the payment recognised the response to the multiple terrorist attacks in London, the Grenfell Tower fire, other major events and "responding robustly to the rise in violence across London amongst many other pressures".

The impact on officers and the disruption to their family lives over this period has been significant, it added.

Comm Dick said: “It is absolutely right that we have made this payment to our officers. Their bravery, dedication and professionalism has been put to the test over the last two years to an extraordinary degree.

"Officers across the Met have made a huge contribution to London by doing outstandingly demanding, important and frequently unpleasant work. The challenges continue. This has come at a considerable cost to them as individuals and their families. A £350 payment cannot come close to matching the contribution in delivering through these extraordinary times, but nevertheless it is right that recognition is made.

“We planned in our budgets for higher pay for police officers in 2018 than was finally awarded. By planning effectively, we can therefore make this recognition payment to our officers from our existing budget, and I am pleased that we have been able to do so.”

Ken Marsh, Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said: “We are pleased that following discussions, the management board has agreed to make this payment to our members, after the government ignored the recommendations of the independent body that advises them on police pay.

“This is no less than our hard-working members deserve. Our officers put their lives on the line day in, day out to protect the people of London and it is only right that they should be given this bonus.

“We thank the Commissioner and the management moard for their decision.”

The Met's statement said the pressure of the last 18 months has been equally felt by police staff and the pay award for this year reflects the demands they have faced - both those in front-line and operational support roles. The 2018 pay award for police staff will be a 2.5 per cent increase and backdated to August 2018 and made at the end of February 2019.

It added an investment in additional equipment to support effectiveness and officer safety will also be rolled out in 2019:

• By November 2019 the current Taser Uplift Project will provide 6,467 specially trained Taser officers across the Met followed by an extra uplift of 330 Taser trained officers from November 2019 to March 2020.
  • An increase of an extra 400 mobile fingerprint devices.
  • Detailed guidelines to be developed to allow the roll out of spit and bite guards to officers beyond their current use in custody in the coming months. 

Comm Dick added: “My role is to ensure officers have what they need to do their jobs effectively and safely. The announcements I have made to colleagues today are important issues that are intended to support officers and staff in keeping London safe. Officers, in particular are tasked with responding to often dangerous situations and they need the protection to be able to do so safely, in order to protect the public, victims and suspects.”

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “Our police officers work extremely hard and in challenging circumstances to keep Londoners and our city safe. After a period when our under-resourced and overstretched officers have had to cope with the terrorist attacks and other horrific events on top of their day-to-day duties keeping London safe, I am glad we are able to make this additional payment in recognition of their ongoing efforts to protect us.

“It’s vital the Commissioner is able to ensure the police have the equipment they need to do their jobs, although of course it must always be used in a proportionate and transparent way.”

View On Police Oracle

Member Achievements

BlueBob

A nice bit of news for a change - they budgeted for it and it looks like they are to spend it on what they had planned - a bit of a boost to their staff. Nice.

Member Achievements

Mac7

The gesture is far greater than the amount. Well done Met police.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Not often you see a chief look at the budget, see they have some money and give it to the troops. Nice if every CC could do this, or the Government gave every force enough to make a similar gesture.

Member Achievements

Techie1

I wonder what the hardest working police staff think about the bonus - I understand it's for police officers only?

• Haha 1

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
46 minutes ago, Techie1 said:

I wonder what the hardest working police staff think about the bonus - I understand it's for police officers only?

46 minutes ago, Techie1 said:

@Techie1, you are not wrong there, all the time i was a special i marvelled at the efficiency of our control room operators when we had very many jobs on the go. They weighed things up in the blink of an eye seemingly, deciding who went where, sending bobbies hither and thither on friday saturday night. They  should definately get some boot allowance as well. 

The people in the corridors of power did away with my thirty pounds a year boot allowance and gave me a pair of boots  instead, (as i may have mentioned before) i was not a happy camper, i didnt need any more boots. I used to spend mine on beer and bullets,😀 I didn’t say anything but just looked happy, as you do. Probably would be worth about a 100 or 150 pounds now i expect. Rich.

• Confused 1

Member Achievements

bensonby
12 hours ago, Techie1 said:

They got a 2.5% pay award backdated to last August. Officers got 1%. 

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

It is not only the Met who have gone through very testing and difficult times. Many Provincial Forces have also suffered but their backup and assistance can be many minutes, even 30, away.

As has already been said there is a huge difference in pay increases.

Member Achievements

BlueBob
1 hour ago, Zulu 22 said:

It is not only the Met who have gone through very testing and difficult times. Many Provincial Forces have also suffered but their backup and assistance can be many minutes, even 30, away.

As has already been said there is a huge difference in pay increases.

It looks like you're suggesting or saying other forces should get a similar bonus.   It's fairly clear the bonus has come about from very specific circs.  Perhaps other forces may or could have done similar and, perhaps more may announce similar bonuses!!!   

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
14 minutes ago, BlueBob said:

It looks like you're suggesting or saying other forces should get a similar bonus.   It's fairly clear the bonus has come about from very specific circs.  Perhaps other forces may or could have done similar and, perhaps more may announce similar bonuses!!!   

By the sounds of it, it is only money which was earmarked for police pay anyway, only the Government was its usual stingy self. Would be interesting to know if the Met have passed on the whole of the difference they had budgeted for. I do hope other forces do the same.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

BlueBob
54 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

By the sounds of it, it is only money which was earmarked for police pay anyway, only the Government was its usual stingy self. Would be interesting to know if the Met have passed on the whole of the difference they had budgeted for. I do hope other forces do the same.

yeah, it was earmarked for officers pay rises, which may well be why they can't legally and financially pass any to other staff.  As for sharing it all out, good judgement would still say to hold some back for the next round of funding supplement.  So it makes you wonder how other forces would have coped had the salary or pensions increases actually happened.  Oh well.  

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

It would be too simple to return to the Negotiating Board and pay formula's to give a salary rise which would be overdue. Because of the lack of officers the Police will soon be as despised as the Politicians, and there is nothing lower than them.😡

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
19 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Police will soon be as despised as the Politicians, and there is nothing lower than them.😡

That's a bit harsh on the police. That's like saying the police serve no identifiable use, spend their time enriching their pockets, screw the taxpayers, and **** (please insert whatever adjective comes to mind but nothing rude) the country. Tut tut 

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
27 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

That's a bit harsh on the police. That's like saying the police serve no identifiable use, spend their time enriching their pockets, screw the taxpayers, and **** (please insert whatever adjective comes to mind but nothing rude) the country. Tut tut 

Sorry for quoting self but don't want a warning. The four letter adjective could be: Hurt, Mess, Blow, Dish, Tosh, et al. 😚. Mods please take note that I am a reformed character since returning to PC.

Member Achievements

Techie1
They got a 2.5% pay award backdated to last August. Officers got 1%. 
Didn't the rest of the country's police officers get 2% ? Why did met get 1%?

https://resources.metfriendly.org.uk/police-pay-award-2018-19-announced

And I thought staff got 2% too, due Sept 2018, but finally agreed last month?

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  
There are 7 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David