Return from career break on what hours?!

Bailey99

Hi.

Currently on 2nd year of career break. I have 20 years service.

Due back to work in March 2019. I was working part time on reactive in 2017.

I've recently had spinal surgery and won't be able to return to reactive. 

My plan was always going to be yo return to full time.

Where do I stand in regard to returning to full time hours when I was previously part time but unable to return to my previous role? Could work refuse to increase my hours up to full time upon my return?

Not sure where they're thinking of putting me yet as I'll be referred to OHU due to surgery.

Thanks.

Have you spoke to the Fed yet?  I think they will be able to assist you here, this sort of situation isn't actually all that uncommon.

• Management

My understanding is that if you were previously part time then you would have to apply for a full time role as your specific post may have been part time of the FTE. Having said that as you are coming back from a career break then they don't hold your post open but could post you anywhere within the force area ... I'm sure that being the case there will be a full time role available should you wish to take it.

Best bet is to speak with your local fed rep and HR Officer so that you get the definitive specific to your personal circumstances.

Yes I'm in contact with The FED, OCC Health & HR. 

Hopefully things will run smoothly.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

A late reply to this and I hope you got it sorted.

But, If you have had surgery while on a career break and are now unable to cover all types of duty. Why would they take you back?