Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Michelle Irons

Met staff

Michelle Irons

Hi everyone. I’ve been successful recently in appointment in the Met Contact Centre. Has anybody got any further info regarding the shift pattern? My group was told it will be 12 hour shifts which is no problem I’m just a bit apprehensive about getting home at night. 

Thanks in advance 

Michelle 

Sapor62

I just recently left MetCC, you're likely to be doing 4 on 4 off, 12 hour shifts - however, be prepared to be forced into OT, kept on for hours after your shift and having every single break cancelled.

MetCC suffer from a chronic shortage of staff and are currently running at about a 40% sickness rate.

You'll be timed on absolutely everything (that includes your toilet breaks) and generally it's a horrible place to work with no support.

On the plus side, you make a fair chunk of money. I was clearing about £2800 a month without OT.

Member Achievements

Michelle Irons

Well thanks for the brutal honesty! 

Sapor62

Yeah I know my post was a bit much but you'll have a million recruiters tell you how great the job is, it's only right someone tells you that actually it's a little bit rubbish...

You might love it and that would be amazing because we need some solid call handlers who enjoy the job... 

Member Achievements

Michelle Irons

I appreciate the honesty! I’m from a police background like 99.9% of people on here and I know what it’s like to be treated like that when your intentions are good. Thank you for your message. 

• Like 1

Sapor62

Just get used to saying 

"Police, what's your emergency?"

"Yes Sir, I know you said you're on the high road but WHICH high road?!?!"

and my all time favourite which you'll hear, not say is:

"HELLO POLICE ITS ABERDEEN HERE CONNECTION 07845741254 ABANDONED CALL, NO REQUEST FOR POLICE, NO SOUNDS OF DISTURBANCE, SP IS O2, E. 541544 N. 215544  SHAPE IS ELIPSE" (Try writing all that down in a few seconds lol)

(I've never figured out what an elipse is...)

Member Achievements

Michelle Irons

All noted! 

Techie1

I thought they spent all day saying that's not a policing matter to various stupid requests.

• Haha 1

Member Achievements

XA84

As an ex call handler myself although not with the Met I can agree with some of @Sapor62's statements

Number one line you'll here is "What it is, is".

As a job I quite enjoyed it although there are difficult times too so be prepared to listen to some rubbish stuff.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Michelle Irons

Thank you. 

• Like 1

DanniAnne
On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:49, Michelle Irons said:

Hi everyone. I’ve been successful recently in appointment in the Met Contact Centre. Has anybody got any further info regarding the shift pattern? My group was told it will be 12 hour shifts which is no problem I’m just a bit apprehensive about getting home at night. 

Thanks in advance 

Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

I have also applied for this role, and received a provisional offer via email towards the end of December 2018. Have you successfully completed all vetting checks? 

I had the impression it would be 8-10 hours shifts, and had been told it would be 5 days on and 5 days off. 

bensonby
On 24/01/2019 at 20:47, Sapor62 said:

On the plus side, you make a fair chunk of money. I was clearing about £2800 a month without OT.

Surely with OT?! I take home less than that as a skipper (without OT). 

Member Achievements

Michelle Irons
On 04/02/2019 at 11:26, DanniAnne said:

Hi Michelle,

I have also applied for this role, and received a provisional offer via email towards the end of December 2018. Have you successfully completed all vetting checks? 

I had the impression it would be 8-10 hours shifts, and had been told it would be 5 days on and 5 days off. 

Michelle Irons

Hi there. I’ve had a provisional offer within the last 2 weeks and I believe my vetting is taking place right now. They informed us of the shift pattern during the assessment stage.