Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Cathedral Bobby

PPSS body armour - polycarbonate, moulded to the upper body shape

Cathedral Bobby

Within Cathedral Constabularies we have started rolling out PPSS body armour, which is primarily designed for stab/blunt instrument resistance rather than ballistic. This followed the murder of the officer at Westminster. Believing the threat to our officers is greater from bladed/blunt weapon attack than a firearm we are changing to PPSS body armour, which has polycarbonate sheets, moulded to the upper body shape. They are much lighter and surprisingly more comfortable than Kevlar armour. Just wondered if any other forces have tested or are using them? Currently all of our officers at Canterbury Cathedral have them. 

Member Achievements

sierragolf95

One of my former colleagues had one while I had the Kevlar vest (private security purchase). Overall his was lighter without doubt, but particularly when it came to searching 200-300 people per night he struggled to bend over in it and it ended up digging into him. No doubt his was more effective against punches and kicks and I'm sure his was cheaper too. I think they are probably the best style of vest overall

Indiana Jones
Within Cathedral Constabularies we have started rolling out PPSS body armour, which is primarily designed for stab/blunt instrument resistance rather than ballistic. This followed the murder of the officer at Westminster. Believing the threat to our officers is greater from bladed/blunt weapon attack than a firearm we are changing to PPSS body armour, which has polycarbonate sheets, moulded to the upper body shape. They are much lighter and surprisingly more comfortable than Kevlar armour. Just wondered if any other forces have tested or are using them? Currently all of our officers at Canterbury Cathedral have them. 
Does it meet any HO ballistic requirements at all?

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
4 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

Does it meet any HO ballistic requirements at all?

No is the answer, it is better protection than Kevlar for knife attacks and blunt weapons, which we consider to be the far greater risk to our officers, but is less effective for firearms. 

10 hours ago, sierragolf95 said:

doubt his was more effective against punches and kicks and I'm sure his was cheaper too. I think they are probably the best style of vest overall

They cost about the same as Kevlar. 

Member Achievements

Straker

Does it meet the HO requirements for stab and slash resistance (or the equivalent European or US NIJ ones) from there website most of the models do? Never seen one but surely molding to the upper body shape with a solid plate is going to be quite like wearing a hard armour ballistic plate. No matter how well shaped it will only perfectly "fit" to a particular body shape which the plate is curved to.

I get that they tout better resistance to blunt force injuries but other manufacturers make vests that meet both the HO ballistic and stab/spike/slash resistance requirements. I can't understand going for a vest that doesn't have at least some ballistic qualities. 

Other manufacturers use a mix of materials, most vests nowadays are a mix of different Aramid fibres rather than just Kevlar with various methods of getting knife resistance. But if they meet both requirements they meet the requirements. 

Azza

I've Worn Both the PPSS as a private user and the issued Kevlar soft armour most forces use. The PPSS is more comfortable and the blunt force protection is much better. Standing and sitting in both is uncomfortable but bearable, the bending over / leaning the PPSS is harder as the armour is rigid. I think it is horses for courses, If the most likely attack is blades and needles I would choose the PPSS as it just so much better for impacts.

• Like 1