Plain-Clothes?

SierraEcho

Potentially going to be working in plain clothes relatively soon. I have been issued the covert cover to go under my clothes, but how do you guys carry your PPE? 

Ask LDSS for a covert carrier for your PPE so that your kit hangs under your arms or wear your belt kit. 

I found the covert harness really hard on my shoulders. I would personally wear kit belt instead.

Covert harnesses are normally pretty good. I had a lend of a size small and even that was too big for me though.

• Thanks 1

Potentially going to be working in plain clothes relatively soon. I have been issued the covert cover to go under my clothes, but how do you guys carry your PPE? 

The real question is, how are you going to carry your tourniquets, trauma kit, plasticuffs, leg restraints and the kitchen sink?

On a serious note, your hands will go where you're used to storing your kit, which is often going to be your belt area. If you're going to be in a car, nobody is going to see your belt until you're already out anyway.

Also, unless you're doing surveillance, which as a probationer you won't be, wear a vest. Don't be one of those clowns who thinks somebody won't stab them just because it's own clothes day.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Growley said:

The real question is, how are you going to carry your tourniquets, trauma kit, plasticuffs, leg restraints and the kitchen sink?

On a serious note, your hands will go where you're used to storing your kit, which is often going to be your belt area. If you're going to be in a car, nobody is going to see your belt until you're already out anyway.

Also, unless you're doing surveillance, which as a probationer you won't be, wear a vest. Don't be one of those clowns who thinks somebody won't stab them just because it's own clothes day.

Will always wear my vest. The armour will go in covert cover under my hoody. My medical kit can be carried lose in the inside pockets of my jacket so isn’t an issue. Same for Restraints. I’lll try the covert carrier/harness, which has been ordered for me. Will see how that goes, as I’ve been recommended to wear it. If not I’ll stick to belt I guess like you suggest.

• 2 months later...

Afternoon All,

I have quite a few plain-clothes shifts coming up targeting pickpockets mainly. I was just looking for any suggestions as to how to carry my basic PPE because surely a covert rig would stand out. 

TIA 

I've put them in an easy access bag in the past, e.g. one of those string tied bags you get from trainers shops that our customers often use...

Afternoon All,
I have quite a few plain-clothes shifts coming up targeting pickpockets mainly. I was just looking for any suggestions as to how to carry my basic PPE because surely a covert rig would stand out. 

TIA 

There is a big difference between a covert police officer and a plain clothes police officer. A plain clothes op is not a covert op.

You need to balance the requirements/objectives of the op against the need to be readily identifiable as a cop. Using a rig to carry your PPE under a lightweight top is fine. It needs to be readily accessible and you need to be readily identifiable. You may be targeting a particular type of crime but whilst out patrolling anything could and probably will happen, therefore you will need to respond/deal with accordingly.

The rigs may not feel or appear covert to you because you are looking for it. The vast majority of the public will not notice.

You’ll stand out anyway with your superdry t-shirt or north face jacket. [emoji23]
  • Like 1

This is slightly different but ties in to feeling like you stand out, I used to carry a sidearm off dufy in an inside the waistband holster. 

I was CONVINCED everyone was looking at me and knew that I was carrying. This wasn’t the case at all.

Now back to the matter at hand:

I’d say a light windbreaker/kagool type top with a “covert” rig underneath would do the trick.

KWay do decent light jackets.

• 2 years later...

Hi! I've recently started doing some plain clothes work out on response however we aren't issued covert body armour due it being an occasional thing. Any suggestions on what is the best clothing to wear to keep it as covert as possible? Stab vests aren't exactly slimming and look very obvious, especially for people of small and slim builds like myself. Thanks! 

21 minutes ago, plainclothescop said:

Hi! I've recently started doing some plain clothes work out on response however we aren't issued covert body armour due it being an occasional thing. Any suggestions on what is the best clothing to wear to keep it as covert as possible? Stab vests aren't exactly slimming and look very obvious, especially for people of small and slim builds like myself. Thanks! 

I'd suggest wearing your vest over a darker coloured base layer. I presume you've been issued or loaned a covert harness? Then a fleece or jacket with a generous cut on top. You'd be surprised, that can hide a vest and PPE reasonably well. I had to do similar on occasional plain clothes patrols, myself. Most people are wrapped up in layers this time of year, so you shouldn't stand out.