Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

TomH10

BTP PCSO or Home Office PCSO?

TomH10

Afternoon all? 

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on what's the better job, British Transport PCSO or a Home Office PCSO

MindTheGap

Depends on what you want out of the job, some HO PCSOs do very little by way of actually policing but a lot of time engaging with the community, saying hello etc

BTP PCSOs tend to do that plus more hands on policing, and get involved in a fair bit more.

Contact your local HO and BTP nick to see what a PCSO does in their day job and make your own mind up

• Like 1

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

What area? How PCSOs are utilised varies considerably from force to force.

Nonetheless, I think that the answer on 9 out of 10 occasions will be BTP.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Radman

I was a PCSO with BTP before joining them as a regular PC, this was 10 years ago now mind.

The PCSO role in BTP is very much what I would consider 'apprenticeship to PC' in style, you will be given more powers, equipment and PPE to get stuck into problems when compared to the Home Office forces, there will be an expectation from you to interview & report persons for low level offences, there will be times where you're forced to either detain people using force or remove them from railway property utilising your byelaw powers again using reasonable force (dragging them out of the station effectively.) You will be expected to conduct enquiries such as statement taking from both victims and witnesses, CCTV viewing/downloading and then all the community engagement side of things such as attending schools, fetes and being a uniformed presence out and about on the station. At smaller posts you may be trusted to manage an investigation and workload (low level offences such as Byelaw or public order.)

It is a good role that has been frankly let down by the way in which the vast majority of county forces utilise their own PCSO's which has led to 'toothless tiger' mentality amongst the general public, anyone who has worked with a proactive BTP PCSO will know they are anything but and are very capable at getting stuck into things. I work with two exceptional PCSO's at my station who are fantastic at their jobs and get stuck into anything sent their way.

• Like 1

Member Achievements