Jump to content
Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Domd74

Driving on a private road.

Recommended Posts

Domd74

Hi, 

So my son, who’s 19, has been practicing reversing and sometimes reaction time etc in an automatic car on a private road. The private road is about 125m long. However, he is unlicenced and uninsured. Is it okay for him to drive if on a private road? It is ungated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Strathy-SC

As long as you own the land and it’s not accessible by the general public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sectioned Detection
On 03/06/2018 at 19:29, Domd74 said:

Hi, 

So my son, who’s 19, has been practicing reversing and sometimes reaction time etc in an automatic car on a private road. The private road is about 125m long. However, he is unlicenced and uninsured. Is it okay for him to drive if on a private road? It is ungated. 

I’m inclined to say he’s commuting offences. Drive otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance. You’re (possibly) committing the offence of letting him drive without a licence and insurance.

Does he have a provisional licence? If not why not? Who’s in the car with him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

If it is a road as defined by the Road Traffic Act 1988 - 'in relation to England and Wales, means any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes,' then he needs a licence and insurance. If is not such a road - i.e. a completely private road over which the public do not have access then he can do what he likes.
It may be down to a court to decide at the end of the day but in simple terms if the postman, electricity reader, traveling salesman etc are allowed to drive up the road to a house then it is likely to be a road under the legislation. This gives those people the relevant protection from being put at risk by unlicenced, uninsured drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Domd74
17 hours ago, Sectioned Detection said:

I’m inclined to say he’s commuting offences. Drive otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance. You’re (possibly) committing the offence of letting him drive without a licence and insurance.

Does he have a provisional licence? If not why not? Who’s in the car with him?

Hi, thanks for your reply. He’s currently got his learners permit as he needs that for an ID but he does not have a provisional licence as he doesn’t feel he needs one right now. He drives in the car alone as it’s a small road so you can see to the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strathy-SC
4 hours ago, Domd74 said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. He’s currently got his learners permit as he needs that for an ID but he does not have a provisional licence as he doesn’t feel he needs one right now. He drives in the car alone as it’s a small road so you can see to the end. 

Well he’s definitely committing and offence and so is the owners the vehicle. He’s needs his provisional licence, insurance and a suitable person to supervise him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sectioned Detection
7 hours ago, Domd74 said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. He’s currently got his learners permit as he needs that for an ID but he does not have a provisional licence as he doesn’t feel he needs one right now. He drives in the car alone as it’s a small road so you can see to the end. 

Can I ask where in the world you are as I’ve never heard of a ‘learners permit’ in England and Wales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Domd74
20 hours ago, Sectioned Detection said:

Can I ask where in the world you are as I’ve never heard of a ‘learners permit’ in England and Wales.

I’m from Kent. It’s the usual ID you get. With the red “L” in the corner, stating “Provisional Driving licence”. I’ve always known it as a learners permit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sectioned Detection
23 hours ago, Domd74 said:

I’m from Kent. It’s the usual ID you get. With the red “L” in the corner, stating “Provisional Driving licence”. I’ve always known it as a learners permit

It’s just that you clearly said he doesn’t have provisional Licence. Anyway, as said previously, he probably is committing offences as are you if it’s your car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
Well he’s definitely committing and offence and so is the owners the vehicle. He’s needs his provisional licence, insurance and a suitable person to supervise him. 

You haven't established whether the private road is a Road Traffic Act road. If not he can drive what he wants along it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

  • 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

    Meet The Team

  • Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David
    David Global Moderators
  • Fedster
    Fedster Global Moderators
  • Devil
    Devil Global Moderators
  • MindTheGap
    MindTheGap Global Moderators
  • blakey
    blakey Global Moderators
  • Techie1
    Techie1 Global Moderators
  • Sir Penguin
    Sir Penguin Global Moderators
  • PCW
    PCW Global Moderators
  • Hoofing
    Hoofing Global Moderators
  • XA84
    XA84 Global Moderators
  • Remmy
    Remmy Global Moderators
  • job_done
    job_done Global Moderators
  • Sapor62
    Sapor62 Global Moderators
×