Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Steve2295

Possibly losing my licence.....

Steve2295

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice please......

I recently passed my test last year on April 2017, and i am a safe driver - never been in trouble with the police my entire life. I am 45 years old.

In March 2018, in Aberdeen while running late for a very important work appointment i was over the speed limit and got 3 Points on my licence and paid a Fee - which is my own fault and i accept that.

I have made sure to be very careful 100% since then, and was trying to keep my record clean till April 2019 (at least) - so i don't lose my licence (as i need it for my job).

Yesterday while travelling back from Inverness on the A9, i was travelling at the normal speed and attempted to overtake this person (as normal) in a smaller car, when i was on the outside lane - he started to speed up matching my speed, so i decided to slow down and pull in - he slowed down aswell. He was a younger (ned) type character - apologies (only way to describe him....lol). He wasn't letting me get to the inside lane, and cars were closing in from behind on the outer lane - so i sped up quickly and eventually overtook him (as i had a slightly bigger car than him). As i over took him, it took me over the speed limit, i immediately pulled into the inside lane and quickly slowed down to below 70 mph (in a slow gradual safe manner).

But at that exact moment i managed to pull into the inside lane, and slow down (gradually to below 70mph) - a Police Van (Monitoring Speed) was hiding behind a truck and obviously caught me doing over 70mph.  I was gutted!!

Now, i know its only a matter of time till i get that letter through saying you have an extra 3 points, making 6 in total - losing my licence (6 points in 2 years for new drivers) and effectively losing my job........and I'm already having a bad month, this would put me over the edge i fear......

I see people everyday speeding past me as i keep to the limit on roads, and wonder how these people get away with it, and it annoys me that these 2 incidents (1st one was my fault in Aberdeen I admit, and i learned my lesson, but the 2nd one yesterday was unavoidable) have now cost me (i assume) my licence.

I suppose my question is, if the Police Van caught me speeding yesterday - didn't they catch the incident involving this other driver that caused it???  And can i appeal this at all??

I phoned the DVLA this morning, but they said the 6 points would go on to my licence regardless if i appeal at court or not.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Steven

Strathy-
On 31/05/2018 at 10:12, Steve2295 said:

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice please......

I recently passed my test last year on April 2017, and i am a safe driver - never been in trouble with the police my entire life. I am 45 years old.

In March 2018, in Aberdeen while running late for a very important work appointment i was over the speed limit and got 3 Points on my licence and paid a Fee - which is my own fault and i accept that.

I have made sure to be very careful 100% since then, and was trying to keep my record clean till April 2019 (at least) - so i don't lose my licence (as i need it for my job).

Yesterday while travelling back from Inverness on the A9, i was travelling at the normal speed and attempted to overtake this person (as normal) in a smaller car, when i was on the outside lane - he started to speed up matching my speed, so i decided to slow down and pull in - he slowed down aswell. He was a younger (ned) type character - apologies (only way to describe him....lol). He wasn't letting me get to the inside lane, and cars were closing in from behind on the outer lane - so i sped up quickly and eventually overtook him (as i had a slightly bigger car than him). As i over took him, it took me over the speed limit, i immediately pulled into the inside lane and quickly slowed down to below 70 mph (in a slow gradual safe manner).

But at that exact moment i managed to pull into the inside lane, and slow down (gradually to below 70mph) - a Police Van (Monitoring Speed) was hiding behind a truck and obviously caught me doing over 70mph.  I was gutted!!

Now, i know its only a matter of time till i get that letter through saying you have an extra 3 points, making 6 in total - losing my licence (6 points in 2 years for new drivers) and effectively losing my job........and I'm already having a bad month, this would put me over the edge i fear......

I see people everyday speeding past me as i keep to the limit on roads, and wonder how these people get away with it, and it annoys me that these 2 incidents (1st one was my fault in Aberdeen I admit, and i learned my lesson, but the 2nd one yesterday was unavoidable) have now cost me (i assume) my licence.

I suppose my question is, if the Police Van caught me speeding yesterday - didn't they catch the incident involving this other driver that caused it???  And can i appeal this at all??

I phoned the DVLA this morning, but they said the 6 points would go on to my licence regardless if i appeal at court or not.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Steven

You were caught speeding, sorry but that’s just life. It doesn’t matter what your reason for it is you were caught full stop. 

You have the right to take it to court but when you’re given a fine and points you aren’t accepting guilt of the offence you’re accepting that it was likely to have happened. 

If you go to court and you’re found guilty it becomes a conviction and the JP/Sheriff could punish you more if they wanted too. 

You can of course make a complaint against the driver but it will make no difference to your licence. 

Edited by aero2