Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Pegasus0

Transferring To Surrey

Pegasus0

Hi everyone.

Been ages since I posted here...about 2 years I think!

Does anyone have anymore insight into the interview for transferring to Surrey?

I have my interview in early October and would like to prepare appropriately.

I have already spoken with a few friends already in Surrey but unfortunately none had transferred in. I have also met up with the local PC to ask questions, compare and find out more about surrey's policies, procedures and priorities.

Any help appreciated!

JVet

Did you transfer in the end?

Member Achievements

Pegasus0

In the process of doing so. Passed the interview and all vetting etc so just waiting for my posting now. Start date should be 3rd April.

WhiskeyWhiskey99

Any insight for people wanting to transfer in from the Met?

Pegasus0

I transferred to Surrey from The Met in April. Best thing I did. I really enjoy it here.

It's very different to the Met but i find people are so friendly, helpful and despite the model of APT (Response team) putting stress on staff to complete files, investigate workloads and respond to jobs, people are still friendly and helpful.

I find it alot more efficient despite the lack of staff and you get the kit to do your job. The MDTs are fantastic (Samsung Galaxy s7s at the moment) and you do pretty much ALL your paperwork on them.

If you're considering it, I would thoroughly recommend them as a force. I love it here and wish i could have done it sooner.

• Like 1

WhiskeyWhiskey99

Sounds good. 

Whats the situation with driving courses? Are they given out quite quickly?

in terms of constant watches, hospital guards and scene how do they work in Surrey. As you know in the Met PC’s do them and will go on forever...how do this compare?

Thanks!

Edited by OscarW1

Pegasus0

As i say, I transferred in April and got my driving course in August. It would usually be very quick but Surrey have been on a big recruitment drive so there is a backlog of people waiting for courses.

As for constants etc, still done by PCs but to be fair, i have only done 1 since I came over and that was for my own prisoner for about 15 minutes until he could see the FME. They can be regular or few and far between but it's not all bad! Sometimes people come in on overtime purely to do constants...cant say it floats my boat!

We only have 3 custody suites in the force (Guildford, Staines and Salfords) so if you work Western division, you will do them at Guildford but you will generally only take over constants from your own borough (Woking, Surrey Heath, Waverley, Guildford etc) so you will rarely be doing stuff from other boroughs or divisions.

You also won t have to do SRO ever again....PCs don't work the front counters which was a nice change!

WhiskeyWhiskey99

Thanks for your response, pretty sure I'm going to apply sounds far better!

I think I could cope waiting for four months for a course, if I stay in the Met it would be at least another couple of years. Do officers in response carry Taser? 

Is there regular overtime in Surrey? If so is it generally just aid stuff or manning up teams. I'll need to do some to make up for the loss of London weighting :-)

What is the personal parking situation like? Particularly at Guildford as that would be my first choice...

Cheers :-)  

Pegasus0

It will be personal choice with what people prefer but i personally love Surrey (and I've been in TVP as a PCSO, Met and Surrey as a PC).

Response officers do carry Taser however only a few do on my borough but it's choice and course availability. Surrey are quite big on skilling people up so most courses are often available.

As for loss of London Weighting, I'm actually financially better off in Surrey despite the 4.5k ish drop due to overtime. Plus we get a £110 fuel card A month. I used to drive about 45-50 mins each way on an average commute in the Met but as I now only travel about 25 mins each way (soon to be 10 mins when we move bases) I dont pay for fuel at all....especially good considering I was paying £220-£250 a month on fuel alone in Metland. Couple that with overtime and i actually technically earn more. So depends on where you live in comparison to where you work now...and where you will be working on how much you save. Surrey are quite good at posting you where you want to be though. Particularly as transferees tend go come to be closer to home. I have only dropped about £100 (give or take) difference on take home because of the fuel card and that's without OT added on.

Overtime is in abundance here too. Although Eastern division (Reigate way) are stricter on theirs, you can usually do as much OT as you like across the force on response teams. Aid wise...we don't get it really unless you're PSU (level 2). I've done 1 since April and that was Wentworth Golf.

Parking depends on where you work. On application, you get to choose a preference of division, not borough. So Western (Guildford, Waverley, Woking and Surrey Heath), Northern (Staines, Elmbridge, Runneymede, Spelthorne) and Eastern (Reigate+Banstead, Tandrige and others I don't remember haha).

Most nicks you can park in on nights and usually weekends. Some have agreements with nearby places that you can park within a 10 minute walk so it's all good. I can only really speak for Western but I know a couple on Northern are also like this.

• Like 1

WhiskeyWhiskey99

I'm pretty certain I will apply, most of my concerns have been answered and it certainly sounds a good force! Especially as the Met is rapidly going downhill...

I will most likely pick West as I live on the outskirts of Woking and the overtime on tap sounds brilliant :whistling:  

Any tips on the interview/selection process post-application form? 
Thanks

Edited by OscarW1

Pegasus0

Ah ok. You're in a good spot for Western then. Woking Borough work out if Woking, Surrey Heath out of Woking (soon to be Camberley). Guildford and Waverley work out of Guildford.

You're also fairly good for Northern if that's your bag!

As I say, it's all personal preference but I love Surrey..despite having little time to investigate as well as respond but it's good at forcing everyone to be omnicompetent which is the idea of the current model and I've learnt how to do so much I wouldn't have in the MPS such as DVPNs. Just expect to hand very little over to CID and SIU (CSU). APT (response) investigate most crime including domestics (standard risk only), burglaries, robberies and some sexual offences.

Interview wise, I would just say read the Surrey Police website. It's what I did. Learn about the current priorities, the new model (Policing in your neighbourhood 'PIYN') and make sure you have knowledge of CSE, high risk offences and decision making. As with every Police interview, its examples based on the core competencies. Just write down a load of different answers and learn them. Make sure you know them inside out and you should be fine. The interview itself is fairly formal but not stuffed shirt...well mine wasn't anyway!

WhiskeyWhiskey99

The Met is currently going to the model where response team keep everything and it has so far been a disaster but as you know there is literally no time to investigate. 

Another question...are you single crewed all the time? Also, does Surrey have an equivalent to an Area car for response policing? 

Pegasus0

Yea i heard that before i left. It wont work in the Met from my experience of response team still having to attend every call to put a report on. Surrey have been more unforgiving and just said 'We don't have enough resources to deploy to that job just to take a report' so they do alot of stuff over the phone if it doesn't require attendance for another reason which works for the most part.

We are generally single crewed on earlies and lates (except when a bit flush then you might get 1 double crewed car) and then double crewed on nights. If there is an odd number (on my Rota at least), then the odd person becomes the van unit. But it's down to individual skippers as to the make up of the team.

There isn't really an Area car equivalent. You just have your advanced drivers who can drive the higher powered cars but everyone tends to be equal.

Edited by Pegasus0

WhiskeyWhiskey99

I've heard Surrey has a sensible approach to reporting and which calls they go to. As you know in the Met we just go to absolutely everything, sometimes pointlessly! 

Don't know how I would get on with single crewing but I'm sure I'd get used to it! Must be a bit of a pain on an I grade trying to read the MDT and drive :huh:

Pegasus0

We have to be sensible. It might be a small force area but so few officers. Into perspective, the Met have roughly 15 times more officers than we do. We can't afford to resource every single call. You'll have to get used to smaller teams too. I know in my old MPS borough, team usually ran around 25-30 officers but here we just can't do that. Unless you're in Guildford for example which runs with a higher staffing level.

We don't have in car MDTs. Everything is on your personal issue MDT (Samsung S7 Edge). Its generally a case of get the info over the radio on grade 1s or read it on your MDT on your way to you car. Generally you won't be alone going to them even if you are single crewed and if the wheels fall off, neighbouring boroughs are usually drafted in to assist if they can spare units. 

When I was in the process, I popped in to Guildford nick and spoke with a skipper (who had transferred from Hampshire) and arranged for a ride along with his team so I could see the difference first hand. Might be worth seeing if that's doable for you too. It was good to just sit down with Surrey officers and get their true view of what it's like and see it for yourself. 

Paid Membership Required

There are 45 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David