Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

shibby_jay

Getting Out Of Awe?

shibby_jay

what's the likelihood of this happening once I'm out of tenure? (2yrs time) it seems all the decent vacancies seem to be going to new recruits at OCC :/

regards

J

kennyross1078

How long is a piece of string? It will be down to what vacancies are available at that time. Their is nothing stopping you applying.

PropIdol89

Your tenure is 3 years, unless it's for a very good reason you won't be able to move out of AWE. A few have tried on compassionate grounds but the criteria for this is exceptionally high.

After that as police1078 has said, how longs a piece of string? Sorry to be rude but if you're already looking at getting out of AWE, why are you wasting your time in joining the MDP and going to AWE?

shibby_jay

I'm already at AWE, and trust me I've since asked myself the same question about wasting my time here. Like many others I am thinking to the future and hoping for a move nearer to home as soon as the opportunity arises.

what i was getting at is- once I'm out of tenure (in 2 more yrs time) will my station *still* be able to put the kybosh on any "lateral development opportunities" to a territorial station due to low staffing numbers here at AWE (as that is essentially what our tenure is about)? or will understaffing cease to be a valid reason to hold me there (as that's essentially an organisational issue at that point and not 'mine' as such)

I hope this makes it a little more clear

thanks

PropIdol89

I'm already at AWE, and trust me I've since asked myself the same question about wasting my time here. Like many others I am thinking to the future and hoping for a move nearer to home as soon as the opportunity arises.

what i was getting at is- once I'm out of tenure (in 2 more yrs time) will my station *still* be able to put the kybosh on any "lateral development opportunities" to a territorial station due to low staffing numbers here at AWE (as that is essentially what our tenure is about)? or will understaffing cease to be a valid reason to hold me there (as that's essentially an organisational issue at that point and not 'mine' as such)

I hope this makes it a little more clear

thanks

Apologies, it's a lot more clear now.

Honest answer is I don't know, I'd hope any lateral development opportunities you'd apply for (and hopefully get) would be sanctioned - there are a few off my section done exactly that recently and have run in to no issues along the way. However, all these officers were out of probation and tenure. Other officers I know of who have tried for transfers on conpassionate/welfare grounds, despite having a strong case and supporting evidence have all had transfers declined due to tenure.

Achieving safe and lawful (Phase 3) is essential to any transfer. Achieve that and it'll be a lot easier once your tenure is up to transfer elsewhere.

You've also got to balance in the amalgamation and the proposed staffing decrease at AWE which would open up transfer terms to other stations. Whether that is nuclear or territorial I'd imagine depends on the available vacancies. As you must know, your guess is as good as mine on what is going to happen with regards to this.

Are you alone in wanting to get away after tenure? No. The question you ask probably is a common worry amongst many officers looking to move closer to home or just to another station - it's certainly one I wonder about also.

Magneto

Just to clear this up, a piece of string is (twice, half its length)

Sounds though you are in year 1 of your initial 3 year posting, maybe just make the most of it and look forward to completing probation. Worry about moving nearer the time you will be eligble. A lot may change over the next few years.

Civilian

The trouble is "looking closer to home" these days means looking at ever fewer stations.

MDPREC

Generally after your 3 years are up, you can apply to any vacancy advertised that you are eligible for.

PropIdol89

Generally after your 3 years are up, you can apply to any vacancy advertised that you are eligible for.

There's two sides to this really. At the minute the closest MDP stations to where I live are Telford (75miles) or Easington (122miles) so it's out of the question for me to commute to either daily.

However, the proposed amalgamation is "rumoured" (I emphasise the word rumoured) to bring together MDP, CNC, Motorways, Ports, Airports and BTP. This is a huge opportunity for officers at AWE IF it comes to fruition, there would be options less than 30miles away from where I live.

Tenure in this instance is likely to be waivered, it is well known MDP's presence at AWE is going to be reduced therefore voluntary transfer terms would be applicable. The only down side to the amalgamation is the heavy competition for any of the above vacancies, and the time scale which realistically would and should take anything from 2-5years to complete, possibly even longer.

It's all a waiting game at the minute, the best option in my opinion if you want out is to look at HO/BTP.

You're certainly not alone in wanting out of AWE and word has it the SPO is looking into why so many officers want out as a matter of urgency, so things may change. Unlikely but there's a chance.

Slade

What is the reason for reduction at AWE?

Just budget cuts or something else?

Edited by Slade

PropIdol89

What is the reason for reduction at AWE?

Just budget cuts or something else?

It's all part of the current review into several MDP roles at AWE and largely whether it's a police role or another body can fulfill it. There are several changes ongoing at AWE currently, for obvious reasons I won't be going any further into that.

An uncertain time yes but there's a chance to apply for vacancies closer to home if it goes how it's expected by most to.

Slade

Thanks for that. So are all roles covered by MDP Officers currently? No civilian security or just wondering whether that Security could cover more than they already do? If this question is allowed

MDPREC

The AWE review isn't done and dusted and the sensitivity of it would lend itself not to be discussed on a public forum. Any amalgamation is years away from full operating capability so don't expect opportunities to arise any time soon. Plus those organisations come with officers already in the jobs too

PropIdol89

The AWE review isn't done and dusted and the sensitivity of it would lend itself not to be discussed on a public forum. Any amalgamation is years away from full operating capability so don't expect opportunities to arise any time soon. Plus those organisations come with officers already in the jobs too

Agreed.

It furthers my point - the competition for these places, especially roads and airports would be immense. The biggest vacancy being the airports as HO would have to leave, and MDP be instilled. That would be an immensely slow process. I can't see any amalgamation happening within 5 years personally.

This does nothing for the officers at AWE who wish to leave, therefore my advice to anyone wishing to go to AWE - ensure you know what you're getting yourself in for. There'll be little or no chance to move elsewhere for 3 years at least.

Slade

Are you enjoying your time at AWE props or are you looking to get out too. I imagine its what you make it with a good attitude, unless of course you have a family hundreds of miles away

Paid Membership Required

There are 4 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David