Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Police Community

Application Form: Written English

Police Community

Your written English is assessed in the competency based part of the form across all 5 pages. If you make more than 10 errors you will be deselected (failed).

At the moment about 35-40% of people are passing the application form, but then about 15% of them are then failing the written English standard.

The commonest problem is internet applications where silly keyboard errors are evident. Assessors will give you some grace for errors that are clearly keyboard errors but will penalise you if the error isn't obviously a keyboard error (e.g. spelling the word WHICH as WHICXH). They will penalise frequent keyboard errors in the same way that they will penalise poor handwriting. You can pick up 5 of the 10 errors allowed from poor keyboard skills or handwriting.

You will also be penalised for using the lower case 'i' instead of 'I', for not starting sentences and names with capital letters and for frequent crossings out. Anything that distracts the reader from the fluency of reading or which causes them to stop and re-read for meaning will be penalised.

It is OK to use block capitals if you want/need to.

Don't use Americanisms (like spelling colour or behaviour without the 'u'), text speak or advertising speak (like Kwik or Swop).

Police family applicants (Specials, PCSO, and Support Staff) beware using police jargon as you will be penalised just like anybody else, so no IC1 males, LPT, LBM etc.

The written standard is benchmarked to the AC, so if you are weak at application stage when you can take your time and check your English, the AC will find you out when you have to write under time pressures. The standard was developed by looking at the applications of people who had failed as the AC based on written English alone and then seeing how many errors they made. People who made more than 10 errors almost always went on to fail both written exercises at the AC.

After all the effort required it is such a pity to fail because you have been careless in checking for errors. Assessors have no choice but to fail you once you hit 11 errors. I am betting that somewhere within this post there are errors and I have checked it over before hitting the button!

This is a list of the common errors, which I suggest you get someone to read out for you and then use it as a check to ensure your English is up to standard:

1. Absence
  2. Academic
  3. Accelerate
  4. Accessible
  5. Accidentally
  6. Accommodate
  7. Achievable
  8. Achieved
  9. Acquaint
  10. Address
  11. Already
  12. Altogether
  13. Ancillary
  14. Apparent
  15. Attendance
  16. Audience
  17. Auxiliary
  18. Beauty
  19. Beginning
  20. Beliefs
  21. Believed
  22. Benefit
  23. Calendar
  24. Colleague
  25. Committed
  26. Competence
  27. Conscience
  28. Conscientious
  29. Consensus
  30. Dealt
  31. Definite
  32. Definitely
  33. Desperate
  34. Develop
  35. Disappear
  36. Disappoint
  37. Embarrass
  38. Environment
  39. Exaggerate
  40. Existence
  41. Fascinate
  42. Forty
  43. Fourth
  44. Fulfilled
  45. Government
  46. Grateful
  47. Harmful
  48. Hierarchy
  49. Humorous
  50. Incidentally
  51. Independent
  52. Interest
  53. Liaise
  54. Loose
  55. Liaison
  56. Manner
  57. Meant
  58. Necessary
  59. Noticeably
  60. Occasion
  61. Occurred
  62. Occurrences
  63. Omission
  64. Omit
  65. Omitted
  66. Opportunity
  67. Paid
  68. Parallel
  69. Personnel
  70. Pleasant
  71. Possess
  72. Precede
  73. Preparation
  74. Privilege
  75. Procedure
  76. Proceed
  77. Professional
  78. Pursued
  79. Receive
  80. Received
  81. Recommend
  82. Relevant
  83. Response
  84. Separate
  85. Severely
  86. Society
  87. Strategies
  88. Successful
  89. Tendencies
  90. Unnecessarily
  91. Until
  92. There/Their/They’re
  93. Affect/Effect
  94. Past/Passed
  95. Of/Have

tls

Now you have me nervous. I submitted my application form (printed from the computer) in block capitals. Reason being if the spelling was to be in block capitals, then the computerised version would be too. I hope this doesn't affect my application, as all my spelling is correct!

jenna-hayes

Oh no!!! :unsure: I submitted my form online and didn't really take that much care with my written English!!!!! OH NO!!! :unsure:

Tim in the South
Oh no!!! :unsure: I submitted my form online and didn't really take that much care with my written English!!!!! OH NO!!! :unsure:

Why not? Do you think it's not important? As you know there are many, many applicants and recruitment must select from these - and the way that the application form is presented is just part of the process.

Ryobi
Now you have me nervous. I submitted my application form (printed from the computer) in block capitals. Reason being if the spelling was to be in block capitals, then the computerised version would be too. I hope this doesn't affect my application, as all my spelling is correct!

When I got my Met application, I was told to complete it in block capitals. You should be fine.

Rich-Allen

They said block capitals on mine for SYP as well, and to do it in black ink.. My handwriting's quite neat though despite my poor dexterity, and my spelling's always been excellent even as far back as when I was in Junior School, I used to get 20 out of 20 every week on spelling tests, my grammar is also excellent, in fact mine's so good I'm pedantic about everybody else's, lol.

geebee

They said block capitals on mine for SYP as well, and to do it in black ink.. My handwriting's quite neat though despite my poor dexterity, and my spelling's always been excellent even as far back as when I was in Junior School, I used to get 20 out of 20 every week on spelling tests, my grammar is also excellent, in fact mine's so good I'm pedantic about everybody else's, lol.

Any idea how many mistakes I spotted in that post?

They said block capitals on mine for SYP as well, and no comma before and to do it in black ink.. double full stop My handwriting's no apostrophe before that s quite neat though despite my poor dexterity, and and again my spelling's and again always been excellent even as far back as when I was in Junior School,semi-colon here, not comma I used to get 20 out of 20 every week on spelling tests, full stop here; sentence too long my grammar is also excellent, in fact mine's as before so good I'm pedantic about everybody else's , lol txtspk nt gud.

I am just messing with you. Compared to most that post is pretty good!

Edited by Mercutio

Arb123

Any idea how many mistakes I spotted in that post?

They said block capitals on mine for SYP as well, and no comma before and to do it in black ink.. double full stop My handwriting's no apostrophe before that s quite neat though despite my poor dexterity, and and again my spelling's and again always been excellent even as far back as when I was in Junior School,semi-colon here, not comma I used to get 20 out of 20 every week on spelling tests, full stop here; sentence too long my grammar is also excellent, in fact mine's as before so good I'm pedantic about everybody else's , lol txtspk nt gud.

I am just messing with you. Compared to most that post is pretty good!

Actually those apostrophes are correct as they're contractions of 'handwriting is', 'spelling has', and 'mine is' :p

DCI TAGGART

The standard of English has gone downhill since texting came into play. People who also have spell check on their computer should know better.

I'm seeing a lot of 'I seen him' rather than 'I saw him' etc.

Poor standards!

Member Achievements

judaspays

well some people even use "payed" instead of paid..

Zindy123

hi

Just wondering how much my dyslexia will affect me in this stage. My reading is fine, but my spell it kind of bad.

any replies will be appreciated ^_^

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David