Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Police Community

Restricted Occupations

Police Community

This is the current list of so-called 'restricted occupations' - in other words, if you do one of these jobs then you cannot be appointed as a Special:

• Members of Police Authorities
  • Magistrates
  • Clerks to Justice
  • Clerks to Courts
  • Members of employer's police forces
  • Holders of liquor licences, managers of licenced houses and their husband or wife
  • licencees of betting and gaming establishments and lottery promoters
  • Bailiffs
  • Members of private security organisations (whether directors, partners or employees)
  • Private detectives and enquiry agents
  • School crossing patrols and traffic wardens
  • Members of Fire Services (but see below)
  • Members of medical, nursing and midwifery professions, and Ambulance Service (unless written permission is given by their employing NHS Trust or Health Authority)
  • Subject to approval by the Chief Superintendent of Personnel Services, members of the Territorial Army may be permitted to join the Special Constabulary whilst still serving in the Territorial Army.

If you are a member of the reserve forces (i.e. Royal Navy, Army, Air Force) then you can join the Special Constabulary, and the same works in the opposite directions (i.e. Specials can join a reserve). It may be that police forces have local policies which would go against this, however it seems likely that under the "unfair treatment of part-time employees regulations" or the Human Rights Act any appeal would be successful anyway.

Although some forces, including the Met, still won't accept members of the fire service into the Specials, it appears that others will. If this affects you, then check with the recruitment department of your chosen force to be sure.

Source

nav1546620150
This is the current list of so-called 'restricted occupations' - in other words, if you do one of these jobs then you cannot be appointed as a Special:
  • Members of Police Authorities
  • Magistrates
  • Clerks to Justice
  • Clerks to Courts
  • Members of employer's police forces
  • Holders of liquor licences, managers of licenced houses and their husband or wife
  • licencees of betting and gaming establishments and lottery promoters
  • Bailiffs
  • Members of private security organisations (whether directors, partners or employees)
  • Private detectives and enquiry agents
  • School crossing patrols and traffic wardens
  • Members of Fire Services (but see below)
  • Members of medical, nursing and midwifery professions, and Ambulance Service (unless written permission is given by their employing NHS Trust or Health Authority)
  • Subject to approval by the Chief Superintendent of Personnel Services, members of the Territorial Army may be permitted to join the Special Constabulary whilst still serving in the Territorial Army.

If you are a member of the reserve forces (i.e. Royal Navy, Army, Air Force) then you can join the Special Constabulary, and the same works in the opposite directions (i.e. Specials can join a reserve). It may be that police forces have local policies which would go against this, however it seems likely that under the "unfair treatment of part-time employees regulations" or the Human Rights Act any appeal would be successful anyway.

Although some forces, including the Met, still won't accept members of the fire service into the Specials, it appears that others will. If this affects you, then check with the recruitment department of your chosen force to be sure.

Source

any advice for me? after 18 months of stress and wait and pasing all tests and interview for specials in Birmingham i was told today my application cannot go further because i fall into the security industry(cctv op) but what iiritates me is that it has taken them 18 months to realise that?ive gone through the stress of passing everything and trying to better myself to join the regulars in 6 months.I think its totally unfair especially when they are crying out for ethinic minority police officers and they wont have to pay me lol

Dogs of Blackpool
any advice for me? after 18 months of stress and wait and pasing all tests and interview for specials in Birmingham i was told today my application cannot go further because i fall into the security industry(cctv op) but what iiritates me is that it has taken them 18 months to realise that?ive gone through the stress of passing everything and trying to better myself to join the regulars in 6 months.I think its totally unfair especially when they are crying out for ethinic minority police officers and they wont have to pay me lol

Please read the post above, which states:

Members of private security organisations (whether directors, partners or employees)

Whilst this may be disappointing, that’s the way things are with the force you applied, however I do know of one force who had a Special that was a Borough Council CCTV Op and a Regional Loss Prevention Manager.

Member Achievements

pichacker
Please read the post above, which states:

Whilst this may be disappointing, that’s the way things are with the force you applied, however I do know of one force who had a Special that was a Borough Council CCTV Op and a Regional Loss Prevention Manager.

Yep, at Essex police Central div we have council CCTV operators as special constables. We benefit from their knowledge of the town layout etc...We even have a retained fireman on board.

It's a shame your force feel differently.

dixie2007

I have recently passed the police specials and I am a Front of house manager in a shopping centre with a security and CCTV card (SIA), I have had no problems with Hampshire Police but I still believe that some forces do not like to recruit people with those badges/ qualifications.

gemmalwood

eeks! after applying for specials and passing my interview and fitness, I am currently awaiting my vetting to be complete (have one check left)..

However, during this process I have started working for a magistrates court on the admin side of things... will this affect my application?

Plus my last job was with the NHS working for the primary care trust?

HELP!

beanieaz
eeks! after applying for specials and passing my interview and fitness, I am currently awaiting my vetting to be complete (have one check left)..

However, during this process I have started working for a magistrates court on the admin side of things... will this affect my application?

Plus my last job was with the NHS working for the primary care trust?

HELP!

your old job's fine cos you've left... but call recruitment about the mag's. it may be a problem... let us know!

Member Achievements

gemmalwood
your old job's fine cos you've left... but call recruitment about the mag's. it may be a problem... let us know!

I'm only here temporarily and technically am leavin in 2 weeks... so should I just leave it?! x

beanieaz
I'm only here temporarily and technically am leavin in 2 weeks... so should I just leave it?! x

I'd give them a ring... better to be safe than sorry. If you don't, and then they find out once you've started training, it may come back and bite you on the bum

Member Achievements

explodJP

You cant become a HATO if you are a special I believe

Bart
You cant become a HATO if you are a special I believe

Alternately if you're already a HATO you can't become a special, something to do with conflict of interest.

Member Achievements

Rector1546620277

I have just noticed that GMP have added:

§ Neighbourhood, street wardens and other uniformed patrol wardens.

§ Highways Agency Traffic Officers.

Squirrel684
Alternately if you're already a HATO you can't become a special, something to do with conflict of interest.

Traffic Officers have certain powers under the Traffic Management Act 2004. They can direct and control traffic on certain roads in England. Police have the same, and more, powers regarding Traffic. So there is one conflict.

The other conflict is if you are on-duty as a TO...and come across a DIC or pedestrian on the motorway - your Police duties will expect you apprehend them and deal with them; but a Traffic Officer, obviously, does not have these powers! Also, if a TO was to arrest someone...the Highways Agency would lose that TO for the day whilst the suspect was processed!!

• Like 1

mevans1546620498

I was working as a self empoyed process server (issuing court warnings for civil law).

I have just returned to policing(after leaving 18 months ago) as a special rather than a full time officer.

I was offered the postion with the condition that I no longer conduct door knocking to serve orders.

I can however field the work out to others to complete.

At first I could not understand why as I have never had any trouble, had to call for police assistance and I was working in the civil law sector rather than criminal law.

Having listend to one of the recruitment team I can now see why.

Martyn

(New Member)

Signature to follow

Universally_Challenged

Would working as a Red Cross Events First Aid Coordinator with some "on call" duty be acceptable, do you think? :)

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  
Paid Membership Required

There are 9 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK. In 2019 the decision was taken to merge all four forums into this main form of www.police.community

Get in touch

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators