Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Police Community

Tips For Assessment Day

Police Community

For the duration of the assessment day, you are given the role of a Customer Service Officer at a fictional leisure complex.

It is against this background that you perform the tests, and you are assessed on that basis. Throughout you will be assessed on your professional and ethical standards, your communication and decision making skills, all of which are essential for a police officer.

Top 10 Tips for Your Assessment Day!

• Remember you are being assessed at all times, even in "down time" so be mindful of what you say and how you react.
  • Take time to read everything through carefully, so that you don't misinterpret anything.
  • In your interview, the 10 or 20 seconds you use to think up a scenario to answer the question with seems like forever, but don't rush it. Think carefully about what example you are going to use.
  • In everything you do remain diverse. Don't take sides with anyone and look at the situation from the perspective of everyone involved.
  • If you have time in the PIRT and written exercises, take the chance to read through your answers, check and double check.
  • On the maths and verbal reasoning - if you can't answer a question still give an answer. It's multiple choice so a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right is better than nothing.
  • Again on the multiple choice papers, if you miss a question out to come back to then make a note of it. I've heard horror stories of people missing a question (e.g. 7) and then filling in the answers for the subsequent questions in the wrong boxes (e.g. question 8 in 7, 9 in 8 etc) and not realising until it is too late.
  • Make sure you read through the information pack that you are sent, but don't panic about not remembering everything. You just need an understanding of it.
  • If you are unsure of what you are being asked to do, then ask. Chances are other people have the same questions.
  • Try not to panic or think negatively. It is going to be 5 hours of hell, I'm not going to lie to you, but if you keep a level head and give it your best shot you will be fine.
  • Like 2

The Backwards Man

Good advice, thanks. 39 days and counting.

jenny13

hi i have an assessment centre in july for gmp, anyone on here have the same?? think ill be ok with numeracy and verbal reasoning its more the role plays, this site is helping a lot, anyone recently done an a/c and got any advice??

kevscot

hi, does anyone know if the scottish assesment day is the same as england?

Dramaqueen

The role plays are the key to passing the assessment centre as 50 percent of the marks sit in them....this is what I did....make sure you have a structure....when you sit down to read the info for the role plays the first thing you do is write down a structure as you can take this into the role play with you....My structure followed a dstructure I was taught in retail.....So 1/ Introduce yourself and explain you are there to listen to there issue 2/getting them to tell you whats wrong 3/empathise...use active listening like "I can hear that" "you sound " etc...if they won't listen say something like "I am frustrated by our converstion as I really want to help you" 4/Clarify/summerise-before decideding what you are going to do clarify and summarise the situation i.e so let me get this right you are saying ....etc 5/Tell them what your going to do and clarify that that action is ok with them 6/ Thank them for bring the issue to your attention. If you have the structure written down (with arrows pointing to information you have got from the sheets you read before you go into the role play) then if you get lost or flustered then you can look at the sheet and find your place again. Having that in front of you gives you a safety net and will make you feel more confident.

The rest of Centrex- Writtens-Keep short, sweet and too the point

Maths-Do the ones you know first and go back to the hard ones last

Hope this helpsx

Oh and the interview.....read your application form and remember the scenrios of those as the interview questions will be very similar to the questions they ask in interview...so you then don't have to worry about think up a scenerio

• Like 4

Dazz1546620231

Hey.

I have my assessment for West Mercia on the 1 july..i am currently a PCSO with them but am seriously bricking it.I dont want to sound to "policey" and many of the examples i think of are from my job.

2 of the interview Q's i got are same competency as application but 2 are different so have to find new senarios for these 2 competencies...

fallenangel

The role plays are the key to passing the assessment centre as 50 percent of the marks sit in them....this is what I did....make sure you have a structure....when you sit down to read the info for the role plays the first thing you do is write down a structure as you can take this into the role play with you....My structure followed a dstructure I was taught in retail.....So 1/ Introduce yourself and explain you are there to listen to there issue 2/getting them to tell you whats wrong 3/empathise...use active listening like "I can hear that" "you sound " etc...if they won't listen say something like "I am frustrated by our converstion as I really want to help you" 4/Clarify/summerise-before decideding what you are going to do clarify and summarise the situation i.e so let me get this right you are saying ....etc 5/Tell them what your going to do and clarify that that action is ok with them 6/ Thank them for bring the issue to your attention. If you have the structure written down (with arrows pointing to information you have got from the sheets you read before you go into the role play) then if you get lost or flustered then you can look at the sheet and find your place again. Having that in front of you gives you a safety net and will make you feel more confident.

The rest of Centrex- Writtens-Keep short, sweet and too the point

Maths-Do the ones you know first and go back to the hard ones last

Hope this helpsx

Oh and the interview.....read your application form and remember the scenrios of those as the interview questions will be very similar to the questions they ask in interview...so you then don't have to worry about think up a scenerio

Thank you so much for putting this on,i am so busy doing practice for the pirt that this has not been something i have been overly worried about but i am fast learning that this will make up a big part of getting through.

• Like 1

andyvk

nice one Daz pretty much answered the info i needed to know. still dont help my nerves though :(:(:(:

beetlejuice

Remember you are being assessed at all times, even in "down time" so be mindful of what you say and how you react.

Take time to read everything through carefully, so that you don't misinterpret anything.

In your interview, the 10 or 20 seconds you use to think up a scenario to answer the question with seems like forever, but don't rush it. Think carefully about what example you are going to use.

In everything you do remain diverse. Don't take sides with anyone and look at the situation from the perspective of everyone involved.

If you have time in the PIRT and written exercises, take the chance to read through your answers, check and double check.

On the maths and verbal reasoning - if you can't answer a question still give an answer. It's multiple choice so a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right is better than nothing.

Again on the multiple choice papers, if you miss a question out to come back to then make a note of it. I've heard horror stories of people missing a question (e.g. 7) and then filling in the answers for the subsequent questions in the wrong boxes (e.g. question 8 in 7, 9 in 8 etc) and not realising until it is too late.

Make sure you read through the information pack that you are sent, but don't panic about not remembering everything. You just need an understanding of it.

If you are unsure of what you are being asked to do, then ask. Chances are other people have the same questions.

Try not to panic or think negatively. It is going to be 5 hours of hell, I'm not going to lie to you, but if you keep a level head and give it your best shot you will be fine.

The above info is brilliant as far as am concerned. I did my assessment on 17th July and passed with 65% and to this day am wondering how?

It is 5 hours of hell, I won't bull***t u, but if you remain calm, you will be fine. I found that when I was at my worst, I looked up (in interview) and said I'm sorry, I'm sure you understand that I'm nervous, but can you repeat the question please... You do have a copy in front of you, but they will answer and give you valuable time.. Please remember, if you can't immed think of the answer you had primed, pull something from your past, you will score some marks....

Good luck

• Like 1

tcaf

Is it acceptable to use the same scenarios as examples in your competency based interview as you did on your application form ?

edit - apologies for dumb question have found the answer elsewhere

Edited by vaughan

Babycakes

Hi Thanks for the above advice i am thinking of having another go did got for it a couple of years ago and just missed it by 9%! i was gutted but looking at results it was all good only overall mark let me down cos under scored in couple of areas hoping after reading your advice that i will do well just gotta decide who to apply to now!! i'm currently a pcso in the midlands do they all have different pass rates and if i get a mark that one force fails me on is there some out there that will take if its a mark that is acceptable to them?(hope this makes sense)

slouise24

Some really useful advice here. Thanks guys!

I'm at the Assessment Centre tomorrow - looking forward to my 5 hours of hell.

hayden_joe90

Hi, I have an assessment day on the 13th October for the Ministry of Defence Police. As far as i am aware, all assessment days are the same, with the structured 4 question interview, role playing, verbal and numerical reasoning and fitness.

However i also have a firearms assessment. Does anyone know exactly what this entails, and are these assessment days a mix of all diferent police forces or does each force assess separately. thanks,

Joe

Police Community
Hi, I have an assessment day on the 13th October for the Ministry of Defence Police. As far as i am aware, all assessment days are the same, with the structured 4 question interview, role playing, verbal and numerical reasoning and fitness.

However i also have a firearms assessment. Does anyone know exactly what this entails, and are these assessment days a mix of all diferent police forces or does each force assess separately. thanks,

Joe

I presume its the MOD Police you are appying for or some other force that's routinely armed ?

If so it will include an assessment shoot on their ranges..... To see how you respond to holding a weapon, shooting at a target and most importantly whether you can follow simple instructions

Paid Membership Required

There are 151 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David