Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
marcx99

Trauma Kit

Ether
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, themaadone1546620582 said:

He was, I agree, yet the fact that a police officer has a duty of care (to work within their remit) shows that when things go wrong, they can go wrong to the extent it becomes a potential job-loser.

Personally, anyone smashing up windows etc has only themselves to blame but the law can be quite partial to a bit of blame-game.

If I’m honest anymore can safely use a tourniquet with very very minimal training. 

The arguments against their carriage and use are the same we heard years ago against public defibs, and look at how we use them now.

Edited by Funkywingnut

Member Achievements

themaadone1546620582

I agree @Funkywingnut but how many know that for a lower limb that you need to use 2, that wrongful use will cause more injury than good and that if you cannot prove you were trained that a rubbish solicitor will have the capability to press for damages if there is just one bit of uncertainty regarding post injury rehab. I was trained to do surgical airways and chest drains when I was attached to HEMS. I still have the theoretical knowledge and in many cases even the equipment to do so but I wouldn't. It isn't worth getting it wrong, losing my job, then losing my registration and possibly my home. I have become quite selfish in my old age when it comes to those 3 things.

I would like to see ALL police and ALL ambulance staff trained in the use of tourniquets but even some of our front line ambulance staff are not allowed to utilise some of our kit including tourniquets which, being honest, bothers me because I'd want them to do it to me if needs be!

Ether
3 hours ago, themaadone1546620582 said:

I agree @Funkywingnut but how many know that for a lower limb that you need to use 2, that wrongful use will cause more injury than good and that if you cannot prove you were trained that a rubbish solicitor will have the capability to press for damages if there is just one bit of uncertainty regarding post injury rehab. I was trained to do surgical airways and chest drains when I was attached to HEMS. I still have the theoretical knowledge and in many cases even the equipment to do so but I wouldn't. It isn't worth getting it wrong, losing my job, then losing my registration and possibly my home. I have become quite selfish in my old age when it comes to those 3 things.

I would like to see ALL police and ALL ambulance staff trained in the use of tourniquets but even some of our front line ambulance staff are not allowed to utilise some of our kit including tourniquets which, being honest, bothers me because I'd want them to do it to me if needs be!

You raise very valid points, difficult to argue with, I carry a tourniquet in my duty bag, but then I have been trained. 

Member Achievements

Cuddles

TQs and Israeli bandages are now part of the standard first aid training in Lancs, though you have to be on Tac Ops to get them issued, which isn’t exactly ideal. 

Tac Ops officers get a course named Basic Trauma and Casualty Care, which is a very useful course. We’ve put it to good practice at a range of jobs including a car vs pedestrian RTC on the M65. With Ambo being as depleted as they are it’s good to have the kit and knowledge.

TQs are really basic and the training required is minimal. That said, I wouldn’t go rushing out to buy one without being trained properly as you may have to justify its use one day. I’d rather be able to say that I was trained by the ATACC Group on these dates rather than providing a URL for a YouTube video. 

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Beaker
3 hours ago, Cuddles said:

TQs and Israeli bandages are now part of the standard first aid training in Lancs, though you have to be on Tac Ops to get them issued, which isn’t exactly ideal. 

Tac Ops officers get a course named Basic Trauma and Casualty Care, which is a very useful course. We’ve put it to good practice at a range of jobs including a car vs pedestrian RTC on the M65. With Ambo being as depleted as they are it’s good to have the kit and knowledge.

TQs are really basic and the training required is minimal. That said, I wouldn’t go rushing out to buy one without being trained properly as you may have to justify its use one day. I’d rather be able to say that I was trained by the ATACC Group on these dates rather than providing a URL for a YouTube video.  

Do the medics also carry the same kit?  Used to work with one fairly regularly, and he had a massive rucksack full of medical gear. 

Member Achievements

Cuddles
15 hours ago, Beaker said:

Do the medics also carry the same kit?  Used to work with one fairly regularly, and he had a massive rucksack full of medical gear. 

They carry all sorts of kit in their bags, including oxygen. Tac Ops cars have a pared-down BTACC bag, which contains a good chunk of the kit the parabags contain, minus Penthrox, pelvic splint, oxygen, iGel airways, BVMs and some other bits and pieces. They do contain some pretty useful bits of kit like NP and OP airways, SAM splints, tourniquet, Israeli bandages, etc. Basically the sort of stuff you might expect to use at a serious bump.

All Tac Ops officers should also have a pouch containing tourniquet, Israeli bandage and TuffCuts.

Member Achievements

Beaker
Just now, Cuddles said:

They carry all sorts of kit in their bags, including oxygen. Tac Ops cars have a pared-down BTACC bag, which contains a good chunk of the kit the parabags contain, minus Penthrox, pelvic splint, oxygen, iGel airways, BVMs and some other bits and pieces. They do contain some pretty useful bits of kit like NP and OP airways, SAM splints, tourniquet, Israeli bandages, etc. Basically the sort of stuff you might expect to use at a serious bump.

All Tac Ops officers should also have a pouch containing tourniquet, Israeli bandage and TuffCuts. 

Cheers, that explains it. I carried the bag, but I never had to go in it for anything!  I just like to know what to shout up for if I get desperate.  Ambo as said above aren't overly quick, and our first aid kits are OK for a few minutes, but not for anything major. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cuddles

No probs! It's relatively new that we have all this kit to use so not everyone knows about it. ARV are generally pretty good at shouting up for trauma jobs and they have all the gear too.

We did ask why we don't have oxygen in our cars and the simple answer was that the 330ds are too close to their weight limit as it is. Oops!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

We are trained in tourniquet use but not issued them.  I carry one in my kit vest (again, not issued but 90% of officers use them) and one in my car bag.  Anything else you want me to carry you need to supply.

Member Achievements

Xray

In my opinion, all frontline staff should be trained in and issued TQ's.