Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

marcx99

Trauma Kit

marcx99

After the Westminster terror attack I carry a individual trauma kit with me, does anyone else carry one? 

M3DIC

I tend to carry a first aid kit when I am out and about away from my vehicle but realisticly you are not going to carry enough kit to deal with a mass casualty incident.

Better is to have or have an understanding of the advice in the citizen aid app...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

marcx99

I personally think every officer should carry a individual trauma kit, if ten officers turn up then you can treat ten people. 

• Like 1

M3DIC
I personally think every officer should carry a individual trauma kit, if ten officers turn up then you can treat ten people. 
And where should they keep (a trauma dressing, TQ, Tuffcuts and hemostatics) when they already carry a large amount of kit.

I believe firearms medics only carry the dressing (as do afo's etc.) and a tq & tuffcuts the rest will be in the motor....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

marcx99

You can get individual trauma kits to put on your leg or put it on your belt. There is pouches which have individual trauma kits in them and they probably would get used a lot in London if officers had them.

SierraEcho

You can purchase IFAK kits and their respective pouches that clip onto your belts all over the place. Some like mine are vacuum compressed so it’s a very small tight package. Normally contain the usual pressure bandages, hemostatic gauze, chest seals and the such. Some of the more expensive kits have decompression needles and more advanced items but obviously that’s going to be useless unless you’re trained in using them. Everyone should be carrying tourniquets in my opinion. Choose only TCCC approved kit, don’t go cheap and knock-off on medical. 

miffy
47 minutes ago, SierraEcho said:

You can purchase IFAK kits and their respective pouches that clip onto your belts all over the place. Some like mine are vacuum compressed so it’s a very small tight package. Normally contain the usual pressure bandages, hemostatic gauze, chest seals and the such. Some of the more expensive kits have decompression needles and more advanced items but obviously that’s going to be useless unless you’re trained in using them. Everyone should be carrying tourniquets in my opinion. Choose only TCCC approved kit, don’t go cheap and knock-off on medical. 

Why do you want to carry kit that you haven't been officially trained for or not officially supplied with?

For me, it appears to be opening a can of worms should things go wrong.

Member Achievements

bigboyblue
57 minutes ago, miffy said:

Why do you want to carry kit that you haven't been officially trained for or not officially supplied with?

For me, it appears to be opening a can of worms should things go wrong.

Or, saving someones life (maybe your other half, or an oppo).

Most of this stuff doesn't require much more training other than a quick youtube video. If they are in need of a chest seal, there's a very real risk that they are not going to be talking to you in less than 5 mins, to complain ………...

This 'dont do anything unless you have spent 5 years in medical school' sort of thoughts stem from the days of St John, where they actively encouraged you not to do anything unless they were training you, or there. Simply scare mongering.  

For gods sake, don't just stand back. Put pressure on, pop a seal on, tourniquet if needed, and use your hemostatic stuff if you have it. Don't let someone die because of your inaction. 

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Mazza
Most of this stuff doesn't require much more training other than a quick youtube video. If they are in need of a chest seal, there's a very real risk that they are not going to be talking to you in less than 5 mins, to complain ………...
This 'dont do anything unless you have spent 5 years in medical school' sort of thoughts stem from the days of St John, where they actively encouraged you not to do anything unless they were training you, or there. Simply scare mongering.  
For gods sake, don't just stand back. Put pressure on, pop a seal on, tourniquet if needed, and use your hemostatic stuff if you have it. Don't let someone die because of your inaction. 

Sorry, I have to agree with miffy here. You shouldn’t be using medical kit you haven’t been trained on. In my area only AFOs have any kind of medical training past the normal CPR, defibs, bleeding and shock. I’m not going to be buying things which aren’t force-approved or issued and risk disciplinary action or kill someone because I haven’t been trained and I’m trying to go outside of the box. No one will ever look at you after an incident and go, “Goodness Mazza, why didn’t you have a tourniquet or a chest seal on you?” But they WILL absolutely go, “Goodness Mazza, why on earth did you have all this stuff on you?” Irrespective of the outcome.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
47 minutes ago, Mazza said:

Sorry, I have to agree with miffy here. You shouldn’t be using medical kit you haven’t been trained on. In my area only AFOs have any kind of medical training past the normal CPR, defibs, bleeding and shock. I’m not going to be buying things which aren’t force-approved or issued and risk disciplinary action or kill someone because I haven’t been trained and I’m trying to go outside of the box. No one will ever look at you after an incident and go, “Goodness Mazza, why didn’t you have a tourniquet or a chest seal on you?” But they WILL absolutely go, “Goodness Mazza, why on earth did you have all this stuff on you?” Irrespective of the outcome.

Tourniquets are what Defibs were years ago, totally blown out of proportion in complexity.  Now you need no training for a defib and they are available everywhere 

18 year old soldiers carry and use them with little issue. In the UK it’s unlikely that a tourniquet will cause a great issue with access to medical care in mins. 

Funny how they have been fashioned in emergencies and saved lives, yet the prospect of a purpose made device scares people. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Toms

A tourniquet saves lives, its as simple as that. If a person has a cat bleed on a leg or an arm then that you being there with that piece of kit will have a much more positive outcome than simple pressure. So for me if you want to carry one then crack on (plus unless you are putting it round someones neck, don't, there's very little that can go wrong with it). I carry a couple (though I am issued and trained as a PO medic) and will gladly dish them out at a major trauma scene to all and sundry and take any flak afterwards

The rest of the trauma kit its really not worth paying for, the job first aid kits (and this is were kit checks and vehicle checks come in) are more than sufficient for what response cops deal with most of the time as direct pressure and a bandage is one of the most effective treatment options in the vast majority of case

Member Achievements

SierraEcho
18 hours ago, bigboyblue said:

1 hour ago, Toms said:

A tourniquet saves lives, its as simple as that. If a person has a cat bleed on a leg or an arm then that you being there with that piece of kit will have a much more positive outcome than simple pressure. So for me if you want to carry one then crack on (plus unless you are putting it round someones neck, don't, there's very little that can go wrong with it). I carry a couple (though I am issued and trained as a PO medic) and will gladly dish them out at a major trauma scene to all and sundry and take any flak afterwards

The rest of the trauma kit its really not worth paying for, the job first aid kits (and this is were kit checks and vehicle checks come in) are more than sufficient for what response cops deal with most of the time as direct pressure and a bandage is one of the most effective treatment options in the vast majority of case

Nice to know there are like minded people in this job.  I see too much "Don't do that, you'll get in trouble, i'ts not worth the risk"... Something that was rare in my previous work. But all to common in this one.

Funkywingnut
23 minutes ago, SierraEcho said:

Nice to know there are like minded people in this job.  I see too much "Don't do that, you'll get in trouble, i'ts not worth the risk"... Something that was rare in my previous work. But all to common in this one.

What was your previous job?

Member Achievements

SimonT
Posted (edited)

I partly subscribe to the too much kit bad notion. But only to a degree. 

Good bandages, face mask, that sort of thing, no worries. Even a tourniquet as long as no one gets silly. 

But if you start carrying a medical bag and and carrying medical sheers on your vest, without training, you are in a dark place. 

If someone is bleeding out, I'm going to use something like a tourniquet, so it might as well be a tourniquet. 

Edited by SimonT

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
18 minutes ago, SimonT said:

I partly subscribe to the too much kit bad notion. But only to a degree. 

Good bandages, face mask, that sort of thing, no worries. Even a tourniquet as long as no one gets silly. 

But if you start carrying a medical bag and and carrying medical sheers on your vest, without training, you are in a dark place

If someone is bleeding out, I'm going to use something like a tourniquet, so it might as well be a tourniquet. 

What training do you need for shears??? 😁

Member Achievements

There are 40 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David