Use of force legislation

ted123

During training, as part of your Officer safety training, you will need to know what legislation allows you to use force that is reasonable in the course of your duty. See below

There is legislation which covers you for using force on a person while performing your duty:

Common law (self defence)

Section 3 Criminal Law Act 1967

A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large

Section 117 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984

Where any section of PACE 1984 confers any power on a constable, this section allows reasonable force to be used in the execution of that power. This basically means that an officer may use reasonable force to effect an arrest or carry out their duty that conforms with PACE.

• Like 1

I'm currently on the cnc training course and we had to learn all three word for word.

I must have been saying it in my sleep lately ha ha.

Common law: A person when faced with the imminent threat of violence to themselves or another has a defence in law if no more force is used than is reasonable to repel the attack.

(This includes pre emptive strikes).

• 3 weeks later...

You've also got Mental Health/Capacity Acts, which allow you to use force, and Human Rights is relevant