S.144A RTA 1988

BlueLightHopeful

Hello all,

Am searching for a bit of advice on the aforementioned legislation. Can anyone give me a scenario where S.144A RTA would apply?

I think this the offence which implements the "continuous insurance" requirement. Essentially if you have a motor vehicle which is not SORNed, then it needs to be insured. So if you have an uninsured vehicle that is on private property (i.e. not a road or public place) and is not on a statutory off road notice, then an offence is committed, even if it's not driven.

Edited by Burnsy2023

• 3 months later...

I think this the offence which implements the "continuous insurance" requirement. Essentially if you have a motor vehicle which is not SORNed, then it needs to be insured. So if you have an uninsured vehicle that is on private property (i.e. not a road or public place) and is not on a statutory off road notice, then an offence is committed, even if it's not driven.

Really, are you sure? S143 RTA states that insurance is only required in on a road or other public place, so my interpretation of this is that if you're on private land, you don't have to have insurance.

Edited by BobCat

Ah, ok, so I have established that S144(B) is the Exceptions to a S144(A) offence.

There appears to be a number of conditions listed that allows a person to breach S144(A). One of those conditions (the forth) appears to be that the vehicle is not used on a road or other public place.

S144(B) is helpfully, as clear as mud.