Special Constable Training Length

Zac Phillips

How long is the Special Constable training for your Police Force? Apparently for Dyfed Powys (The Force I'm applying for) it's run over 5 weekends. Which I thought was a bit short, I was under the impression it was 6 months.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zac Phillips

• Sepura

• Bakezz

• Igloo

6 months in ours. Start on Oct 14th ... Attest 19th March. With further training dates in April.

Works out at around 43 days.

Wed nights and all day Saturday.

BTP - Similar, run over 5 weekends including a full week.

I know other police forces MET (have various training options) and City Police, its up to 6 months.

Its easier to fit in training over 5 weekends, then over 6 months.

Notts- Different intakes over different time periods.

1. 3 week Monday-Friday 9-5 intensive course
  2. 22 weeks of Sundays with the occasional Saturday too for OST
  3. or a blend of online and classroom based (more so than the usual NCALT stuff you get with the other intakes) Unsure of the duration of this one.

I personally chose the 22 week one, fits better with a full time job and other commitments.

Are the 5 weekends continuous as in arrive Friday and then remain in the training area until Sunday and then go back home Sunday/Monday, do you remain there overnight or do you leave and come back the next day and so on?

Training all day Saturday & Sunday, I think we got 1 weekend off in the middle. But for those of us who had a day job, it was a long month working / training all the time.

At the end of the Saturday did you go back home and go back in on Sunday or did you stay overnight? Yeah I bet it's tiring. I also have a full time job so needless to say I'll be dying as well. :p

Right, okay I heard some people mentioning that they stayed at the training center or wherever their training was. Was your training fun?

6 Months is what the officer at GMP told us during our information evening.

Durham Constabulary spread it out over 8 months.

Phase 1 is 19 weeks of 3 hours on one week day and a full week of PST and 2 full Sunday training days.

After week 15 we were Attested and once Phase 1 was complete we were allowed out on shift.

Phase 2 started a week after Phase 1 and this is a further 13 weeks of 3 hours on a week day and 1 full Sunday.

We have to do the same NCALT online training as the Regulars do as well.

Northumbria is 5 weekends over 6 weeks, held on Saturdays and Sundays. Approx 0830-1600 each day.

Attestation follows a few weeks later then you're off.

Monthly classroom training is supposed to be held, but isn't, and NCALT training is few and far between except for annual OST and first aid.

Warwickshire Police is 16 weeks.

8 weekends and 23 evenings in total I think.

I think West Mercia is exactly the same.

Edited by Bakezz

British Transport Police Specials training is done over :

5 weekends and 1 full week (Monday-Friday)

Attestation is done on the last day of training.

Wow so there's quite a lot of variety I was under the impression that it was all quite similar when it came to training, thanks to all for the input. :D