BBC2:Police under Pressure

Is anyone watching the documentary about Sheffield,it's a 3-part series.

This episode seems to concentrate on Anti Social Behaviour in 2 parts of the city, the difficulty of policing both problems area's with limited resources and legislation and an uprising from residents against the police.

It's all very interesting and I hope it shows the people the difficulties we face.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matador

• Radman

• Eggnog

Jeebs1546081084

This program really isn't painting a good picture of NPT cops.

Reinforcing stereotypes if you will.

thefrugalflyer

Limited resources facing a huge problem. Hardly the NPT officers fault.

Jeebs1546081084

How so?

Just a lack of action, a lot of meetings.

I mean they've just gone to lock someone up and let him leg it. What's that all about?!

On a side note, good to see some LB officers waving batons about :)

Edited by Jeebs

very depressing watch, if i lived in Sheffield i would have cried :new_no:

Edited by GodAtum

Just a lack of action, a lot of meetings.

I mean they've just gone to lock someone up and let him leg it. What's that all about?!

On a side note, good to see some LB officers waving batons about :)

I don't think that reflects on NPT teams specifically.

andi

Quite accurate and honest picture of how it is in a lot of places really.

I don't think some of the bobbies came across too well though. I assume the lad who threatened to punch the female officer in the face then raised his arms to her continued walking away without intervention...

The bloke who ran away was unfortunately, not to mention completely avoidable.

They put the word "TRAFFIC" on PCSO uniforms as it gives them extra powers to enforce some traffic matters, I believe. Some forces do it, some don't.

Edited by Fenix

The programme seemed to be very pro police. On twitter there's a lot of supportive tweets about the police on the hashtag for the programme. It's good of the bbc to do a show like this as it helps people understand the problems the police face.

I think the word 'robust' needs explaining to some of these officers. The attitude of some of those attending ASB calls (particularly to the take away) was pretty embarrassing at times - just rocking up and winding the window down to have a chat with groups of youths while they swear and strike their 'gangster' poses. When they did get out the car there was a bit too much hands in pockets wandering about looking bored. If that is what the youths have learnt to expect then it is no wonder they don't fear police attendance. I fully appreciate that budgets are stretched and they are probably immensely frustrated but things like projecting the right image and refusing to be taken for a fool cost nothing.

hobnob gti

I liked the programme and I'm glad it shows how much we are struggling with the cuts and there simply not being enough officers for us to do enough of a good job as we'd like. However the examples of them letting that kid out of his house when under arrest not even having a slight hold on his arm, and then the PC walking along not doing anything while being threatened to be assaulted are quite frankly embarrassing. Its hardly a surprise that there is a lack of respect for the police round there.

Policey_Man

Local Policing, or whatever you want to call it is a nice idea in theory, but It just goes to show that in practice, the reality of it is that we don't have enough people or powers to deal with the little issues that people really care about. I suppose that then leads us back to the point about the role of the police.... are we here to catch criminals and fight crime, or deal with ASB and little minor issues that cause community tension?

Give us more money and more people and we can do more. Give us less, and what do you expect? I think that point was well made. I just hope some people from the Home Office and Number 10 were watching!

very depressing watch, if i lived in Sheffield i would have cried :new_no:

I don't think that this is a true representation of the city as a whole.

I liked the programme and I'm glad it shows how much we are struggling with the cuts and there simply not being enough officers for us to do enough of a good job as we'd like. However the examples of them letting that kid out of his house when under arrest not even having a slight hold on his arm, and then the PC walking along not doing anything while being threatened to be assaulted are quite frankly embarrassing. Its hardly a surprise that there is a lack of respect for the police round there.

I agree. But I suppose had the police been more robust whilst on camera, then there would be shouts of the Police acting over the top and being too aggressive?

Edited by policey_man
miffy1546082788

Must be such a difficult job to please both high ups and the community......

If you were the inspector, how would you deal with the problems in the show?