Laptop won't boot up

Bubba1546080759

I've taken delivery of a new budget laptop made by Asus. Everything was going well until I tried to do the 95 windows updates!

I was in the process of updating and it failed, now it's stuck at "failure configuring windows update reverting changes" it's been like this for the passed 3 hours, I've tried rebooting in safe mode, but I don't get the option when pressing F8, it just goes straight back to that same message.

Lots of advice online about how to do the updates, but no good for me as I can't get the blasted thing to boot up!

I've requested a replacement from Amazon, but really would like to try and get it running.

Posted Image

I'm really having a bad week, my NAS packed up and I'm still on the process of recovering all the data when my Dell laptop have up the ghost, hence the new one!

I've only got a limited time to do the recovery and then the company charge me for the replacement NAS

Is there any data on there which only accessible via this laptop? If not I'd be looking at formatting it and then reinstalling windows... (Because I'm lazy). If there is data on there, grab a flash drive and stick an install of something like Ubuntu or ElementaryOS on it and grab the files which you need to save. Then I'd still reinstall windows.

Edited by Webley

If you have a recovery disk, it's likely on something like an Asus to allow recovery without losing data. Stick it in, boot from CD and see how it goes!

NB Booting from CD is device specific, try pressing all the F keys while starting up, one will do it!

Edited by fruitandveg

If what fruitandveg said doesn't work, try and find a local computing store near you (NOT PC WORLD, avoid them like the plague- absolute ripoff) and ask if they sell recovery disks, if it's a decent store they'll probably have them, and just tell them what version of windows you have. Normally there's a sticker on the laptop once you open the lid up, something like Windows 7 Home Premium. Once you get that disk (they're normally under a tenner), it's a case of you whacking it into the dvd drive and installing it using your serial key. Normally, for a laptop the serial key will either be on the side or the bottom of the laptop- it'll be a rectangular white sticker with a lot of small writing on it.

PS: Don't be scared if the recovery disk looks like a pirate dvd, mine came as a blank dvd with the windows version scribbled in sharpie on it, it's all legit. Good luck!

Forgot I posted here, I did manage to fix it, eventually got it to go into scabbarded m advanced start up and then used the recovery option. Asus don't provide you with any discs either.

And as for rebooting.......I tried that around a dozen times with no joy.

Took me a day to get the dam thing up and running, with all the update o done and on windows 8.1

The only issue I'm having now, is that my western digital my book live, won't map a network drive, says it worked, but it doesn't appear

Sounds like one of the updates has corrupted the Operating System; probably a driver being installed or upgraded