michaelgaga

Just wondering if there are any openly gay specials in the force? How do you feel about being a gay officer? Dose it impact on your work or are you treated differently by colleagues/public?

Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrative Account

• max

• Dice

• Posh

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Im an openly gay officer. Im ok with it and im not bothered what people may think. It doesnt impact on my work as an officer at all. Im not treated any differently for it and i dont expect to be. I'm good at what i do and just because im gay doesnt change that. Those that think it does are narrow minded.

• Like 4

The majority of MSC SLT are, so I doubt you'd have problems in MetLand. And you'd certainly have some support and a half of anything was said or done!

Fry

The short answer is ... there's plenty of openly gay officers. People, by and large, judge you by your competence as a police officer. There's no real reason why it'd come to the attention of your average MOP unless you tell them, so it shouldn't impact on your work.

Personally, I find it easier. It means I don't have to awkwardly (not) contribute to the which-drunken-woman-do-you-find-least-unattractive type conversations... you can openly judge their boyfriends instead. :whistle:

• Like 4
Traffic Rat

As a long serve officer who joined in the late 80's I have seen the whole situation change, especially in the Met where I started.

There used to the sniggers / snide comments behind an officers back (esp female officers) who others suspected to be gay.

A lot changed in about 1991 when a young fresh faced PC, who I belive is still serving as, who turned up on day fresh from Hendon and was open from that minute. It went round the station faster than a bush fire, and do you know what, after about 2 days that was it, everything that could be said was said. He got on with the job, proved himself as a good officer and like every other officer earned and got the respect of the relief through his work.

I will only judge you as to your competance as an officer, nothing else.

Edited by Traffic Rat
  • Like 2
Administrative Account

I think there's a surprising number of gay officers merely on this site, there are probably more using it who are not open for whatever reason.

Of course this is hardly representative, but I wonder if the figures were projected to the Force as a whole I think we'd all be surprised (but not shocked).

Perhaps up until the 80s it might not have been a good idea to have been openly gay. Thankfully through those who were, attitudes in the police (and thankfully society as a whole) have changed. So as others have said, you will be judged on your competency as an officer not your sexuality - any kind of negative comment from any quarter and it will be jumped on.

I happen to know a gay officer whose boyfriend is also a PCSO. I don't know much about the PCSO boyfriend, but the PC is very well respected from colleagues, senior officers and criminals alike. They even had a page regarding their relationship in our Force newspaper. I did wonder if it was something of a parade, but it was well-enough done.

Fry mentions it above. I never really felt comfortable with the 'who do you fancy' conversations, but as other officers comment on the females they like, you can comment on their boyfriends :D

There is a thread somewhere regarding gay officers and those worried about joining; it listed members who were happy to assure new and prospective members by PM but it seems to have gone. Being some years old, I think I will resurrect it and ask for new contacts.

Watch the pinned section.

Administrative Account

Just to add to this I have been open since I joined.

Yes you get the odd bit of banter - but just give as you get, but nothing like the old days - to be honest i have had more issues in my day job (not police) than I have in the specials!

Nelson1545926257

Me also.

Don't regret it for a moment. Good banter and makes for a closer relationship with your colleagues I reckon!

Just to add to this I have been open since I joined.

Yes you get the odd bit of banter - but just give as you get, but nothing like the old days - to be honest i have had more issues in my day job (not police) than I have in the specials!

Wheyyy :) it's easier if you take a bit of banter I think and give it back.

( I have no problems with gay people)

Administrative Account

"Remember you have to be nice to straights! It takes two of them to make one of you!" - Boy George (sometime in the 80's)

I haven't had any issues.

In fact I think colleagues respect you more.

I think the police service as a whole is quite inclusive.

Edited by Dice

These are all very reassuring replies :-) I notice the national GPA are disbanding, do most forces have force branches- including the BTP?

SkinSte

In fact I think colleagues respect you more.

I tend to respect my colleagues for their work rather than who they fancy. I couldn't care less who people sleep with as long as they do the job.