Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
SZ2

PIRT Frequently Asked Questions

SZ2

To clear up any confusion on the Merseyside Police forum about the format of the Police Initial Recruitment Test (PIRT) I have collated the following for members using information gathered by posters in various topics already posted within this forum.

Information given is believed to be correct at time of post - updates/corrections to be made if and when changes take place.

What is the PIRT?

The assessment consists of four tests:

• Basic English - word substitutions and spellings (examples: where/were/we're, they're/their/there, too/to)
  • Basic Maths - Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ratios, percentages.
  • Verbal Reasoning - Reading a passage and demonstrating the ability to distinguish facts from conjecture
  • Writing - For example, writing a passage at least half an A4 page in length about why you want to become a police officer to enable assessors to evaluate your ability to use good spelling, grammar and punctuation

It will be held under timed, exam conditions and save the writing section, will be multiple choice.

At what stage of the specials recruitment process does the PIRT fall?

The standard process for recruitment within Merseyside Police is as follows:

Paper sift (review of your application) > PIRT > Open evening (to talk to Special Constables within specific areas of Merseyside Police) > Interview > Medical > Vetting > Training > Attestation (being sworn in as a Special Constable)

What if I fail the PIRT?

You fail the specials recruitment and will be able to re-submit an application in six months.

Are there roleplays at the PIRT?

No. There are not roleplays during the PIRT. There are roleplays at regular assessment centres (a national standard).

Will I be interviewed at this stage?

No. The interview is held at a later stage to the PIRT and a completely separate assessment.

How can I prepare for the PIRT?

You can search this forum as well as the other forums here to search out how others prepare. It would be advisable to google example PIRT or assessment centre/ national standard maths/english/verbal reasoning assessments and test yourself under timed conditions and of course use communications from Merseyside Police themselves as a guide of how to prepare. There are also online/reference book resources available to prepare yourself for specials recruitment processes.

What should I wear?

It is always advisable to dress smartly for any form of recruitment assessment.

Any further questions, please feel free to add your questions or seek reference from other topics within the forum. Thank you.

• Like 2

Lee- Lee

Thanks for this, i'm really nervous about the maths part as i'm not the best with maths

LeanneSC

Lee-Lee, I had my pirt yesterday and I'm absolutely terrible at maths but I just done the best I could. That is all you can do :) good luck. When is your pirt?

Edited by LeanneSC

Lee- Lee

It's the 27th Aug, so still got time 2 practice my maths, lol :)

LeanneSC

Ahhh yeah, I'm away on that date which is why I chose the earlier date :)! Best of luck

Lee- Lee

• Like 1

P.C.Goody

It does - I wish I had this for the PIRT. However, ahem, page 2 :shhh:

Member Achievements

sammyball001

Does anyone have a breakdown for the timing involved for each of the four sections?

Any help much appreciated.

sammyball001

Additional question, is there still a checking element to the PIRT? I've seen it in other posts but not this one, thanks

Sign in to follow this  

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK. In 2019 the decision was taken to merge all four forums into this main form of www.police.community

Get in touch

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators