Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Your guide to VETTING

Recently posts regarding Vetting are on the rise. That's not a problem, after all this is a forum and people do look to come on here to seek advice or answers.

The only problem is that no one (that I know of) here is a vetting officer. The answers to your questions will probably lie within the force you apply for. My best advice for anyone who is wanting to ask a question relating to Vetting is to contact your police force, they will hold the best advice for you or if you're lucky might even give you a contact number for a Vetting team that deals with the forces Vetting.

If you have any questions regarding Vetting, have a read of this: HMG Personnel Security Controls - It's a PDF file that will most likely answer most of your vetting questions if not all.

Please also see this thread which was written by a Forum user who worked for the CRB giving a brief outline of the security checks.

Brief overview:

What should I do if I have a vetting question/scenario?

Contact your force (and if they have a vetting department, contact them). This may be a forum with tons of Police Officers, but truth is we have been through the same process as you and had no idea what goes on inside vetting until we decided to talk to our forces.

Should I hide anything during the vetting process?

No, declare whatever it asks for on the vetting forms/questionnaires. If you lie about anything and they find out, it will be a serious question on your honesty and integrity, not to mention questions being raised as to why you lied in the first place. IF you have forgotten to include something which you think will effect your application - CONTACT YOUR FORCE IMMEDIATELY AND LET THEM KNOW.

I have forgotten to include something. What should I do?

As said previously, CONTACT YOUR FORCE IMMEDIATELY AND LET THEM KNOW. Contact via phone first to confirm with them what you forgot with every detail of what you forgot, answer all their questions. Then you can send them a written letter detailing what you forgot to add in the questionnaire and why you think it may be necessary to add.

I failed vetting. What should I do?

I believe some forces give you details of why you failed. On that basis you can launch an appeal (unless they say otherwise) - make it strong because it may be the only time you get a chance to have a say.

What effects the financial part of vetting?

I don't know what exactly. But I will say that ANYTHING that you are seen as not being able to manage or pay back, will most likely result in a rejection. Student Loans (I think I read in the HMG Personnel Security Controls PDF are sort of exemptions)

How long will Vetting take?
No one knows. The best time period I could give you is 8-10 weeks. Some may be even faster than that, some may be even later than that. It all depends on the workload of your forces vetting team. Remember you are not the only one applying. However, there are some things which may have an effect on how long your vetting takes, for example, you may already have a vetting clearance - this is something that might make your process faster.

Ladies and Gentlemen, that is the end of the "Frequently Asked Questions" - may I stress that Policespecials.com members are no vetting experts (unless there are any here which like to make themselves known. Be aware you will probably face lots and lots of questions). Forum members must understand it is always best to contact the force you are applying with for vetting questions, they will know more than us. Serving Officers here have gone through similar (if not same) process as everyone going through vetting, I'm sure most of us were clueless till we contacted our force!

If there is anything that I have written and someone knows the information is false. Please let me know and I will change it immediately.

Financial Vetting (by Rosemary)

CCJs: Applicants with existing CCJs outstanding will not be considered for appointment. If the CCJs have been satisfied then applicants may be considered but this will be on a case-by-case basis because of the possibility of higher susceptibility to incurring further debts.

IVA/Trust Deed/ Debt Relief Order: Applicants who have entered into any of these will not be considered. However, if they have been satisfied then applicants may be considered but this will be on a case-by-case basis because of the possibility of higher susceptibility to incurring further debts.

Bankruptcy: Applicants registered bankrupt with debts not discharged will not be considered. Those who have previously been registered bankrupt will only be considered once three years have passed since the discharge of the debts. Then consideration will be on a case-by-case basis because of the possibility of higher susceptibility to incurring further debts.

Credit Reference Check: applicants will be subject to a credit reference check (Experian in the case of Kent). Where this reveals defaulted account(s) careful consideration will be made on a case by case basis because of the possibility of higher susceptibility to incurring further debts.

Debt Management Plans: where these are in place guidance suggests that Forces should take steps to satisfy themselves that both regular and sustained payments have been maintained over a number of months before making decisions regarding clearance. Forces will interpret this general guidance differently- for some DMPs are a bar to entry, for others decisions on individual applicants are made on a case-by-case basis depending on circumstances. Remember that if you have a vast amount of debt it may be that you will not get clearance despite being on a DMP.

If you have compelling individual circumstances e.g. a CCJ not owing to your own debt then it may be worth contacting the individual force to explain the situation.

As a general rule, as was said previously in a thread, the financial aspect of vetting revolves around the management of risk. If an applicant has huge debt and is not making payments then s/he will be considered at a higher risk of corruption than someone who is making regular and manageable payments towards clearing any debt. This is why individual circumstances are considered and forces may request a detailed breakdown of income/expenditure to reach a final decision. Showing that any debt is under control is likely to improve any chances.

If your application is unsuccessful then a good idea is to take any feedback on board and re-apply when any debts are significantly lowered or disappeared.

Edited by Rosemary
Added Financial Vetting
  • Like 4

Owl

Very good post and a very good document. Thanks for that!

Member Achievements

Very good post and a very good document. Thanks for that!

No problem, Nathan! Funny what a little research can bring up, eh?

May I add: If there are any users making Vetting topics, could they please be referred to this topic. Thank you :)

Owl

Also be prepared for a wait people. I emailed my forms a month ago and I still haven't heard anything. They probably won't look at it right away, I'm guessing they have only been looking at mine since the previous intake started.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Rosemary

Good idea, looks very useful to me! :D

Member Achievements

richr

The HMG guide only refers to the National Security side of the vetting. Refer to the ACPO guidelines I've posted in one of the pinned topics in this section for recruit vetting on the police side.

The HMG guide only refers to the National Security side of the vetting. Refer to the ACPO guidelines I've posted in one of the pinned topics in this section for recruit vetting on the police side.

I'll ask the MODS to do a merger? I think it might help if the two topics get merged together!

All useful information! Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

BorderForceNewbie

Yes the most important quality to have is patience! I've been in the system since Jan 12 and gone through x4 vetting documents and they still can't figure it out!

• Like 1

BlueLight85

My vetting was done in less than 3 weeks. Is 8 - 10 weeks the norm then?

Rosemary
My vetting was done in less than 3 weeks. Is 8 - 10 weeks the norm then?

The letter I had with the vetting form to fill in said the checks can take between 10 and 12 weeks- I imagine it depends on how busy they are etc.

Member Achievements

Corbs

I have one amendment, you don't need to be told the reason for refusal to launch an appeal. I was given no reason for my initial vetting being denied, nor did my letter mention any avenues of appeal. I was distraught.

However I found out here that I could, wrote a letter to my vetting unit saying I didn't understand why I'd been refused, would like to appeal, would be happy to discuss it, and gave my ID number and contact details. I recieved a letter a month or so later informing me the decision was overturned. I have since upgraded my clearance with no issues.

In truth, the people checking cases are hugely overworked and quite rightly err on the side of caution. If you think something's wrong, say so.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Corbs!

Yup guys, any vetting experiences that you feel may help others can be posted in here, too!

BorderForceNewbie

I defiantly ain't selling the role to any potential MSC students but hey ho.

Not only was I told my training was due to start in June, given dates and times they now have said they have more vetting checks to be cleared. Great. Thanks. I have reduced my employment hours already!

Peacemaker

Quick question - does anyone know when you've passed vetting? Is it when you're given a date to start training, when you get the letter just prior to actually starting training, or at some other point? Thanks.

Paid Membership Required

There are 225 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David