PayPal account hacked

Bubba1546080759

This evening I have been receiving non stop spam email to my Gmail account, literally had a dozen emails in a very short period of time, I've been marking them as spam, but they are all different.

I then get an email from PayPal saying my £575 transfer was successful!

I've not transferred any money to anyone!

I've opened a dispute immediately, but it says it can take 10 days, so in the meantime I'm out of pocket by a huge amount.

I've changed my password and removed my cards from PayPal just in case

Any advice on what to do? (the spam is still coming!)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi mate,

How has the money been deducted exactly? If it's been from a credit or debit card look into a 'chargeback' (Google will help you here).

It's strange, a similar thing happened to me recently. I was away on a training course (with no Internet access) and when I came home I had to pay a few ebay bills; when I logged in according to Paypal I'd last logged in at 3.55am on the wednesday night I was away! I immediately changed my password though fortunately nothing had been taken, which is bloody lucky because being near the end of the business year all my ISA allowances have been used and my current account linked to Paypal had over 5 grand in it! :confused:

The other thing is do you log in from your smartphone? The way I see it these are quite vulnerable to hacks so maybe something else you want to check out.

I only use my smart phone or tablet.

The money was taken from a credit card which was linked to the account.

I've just checked my spam folder and it all started at 21:30 and there's around 12 emails every minute (don't normally get any spam email)

I logged into PayPal earlier to pay someone for an eBay purchase, other than that there was a pizza order from last week.

I'm fuming and the wife is also livid!

If you're getting lots of spam to your Gmail, I'd advise you to change your Gmail password too, if you haven't already done so. I'd also run a virus scan and spyware scan of the tablet; not so easy on the phone unless you have antivirus software on there..

I only use my smart phone or tablet. The money was taken from a credit card which was linked to the account. I've just checked my spam folder and it all started at 21:30 and there's around 12 emails every minute (don't normally get any spam email) I logged into PayPal earlier to pay someone for an eBay purchase, other than that there was a pizza order from last week. I'm fuming and the wife is also livid! Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Like I said then look at a chargeback and also phone your credit card company, you should come out of it fine but that won't help you much in the short term.

Have a look at some internet security suites available for the smartphone. They're worth the investment.

I've got AVG running on the phone and nothing has come up so far.

Good news is that PayPal have already decided in my favour, I was expecting a long drawn out process.

Thanks for the help could have done without the hassle last night, couldn't sleep and I'm in work now for early shift! :blink:

I also contacted my credit card company but they couldn't do anything.

I still have the problem of continuous spam to my Gmail account and its not getting blocked by the filter. Anyone know if you can link a new Gmail account to Google Play? I have some paid apps that I don't want to have to buy again, but I suppose it's not a massive deal if I do.

Neil

Unusual for your credit card company to be unhelpful; along with myself I've heard good tales. A few years ago my card number was used fraudulently and I had something like £1k worth of usage. The credit card company actually phoned me up but I refused to speak to them because I thought they themselves were a scam when they started talking about my card number's use! It was the odd pattern that had alerted them.

However, in the end they refunded all the fraudulent spends without quibble and said (at least) that their fraud department were on to it.

I had this, someone had attacked the account manually and managed to reset the account email and reset the password by a social engineering attack on paypal themselves via Skype. The attacker had attacked skype and was able to gain enough information to change my email and then reset the password about my account details to convince paypal they were legitimate. Thing is though, paypal caught it and deactivated the account as the combination of email change, password change, unusual spend all in about an hour was sus.

So you might not have been compromised yourself at all. I had this argument with someone at skype who said my email had been hacked which for a number of technical reasons is trickier than it is for a typical email account. Problem was I was talking to an idiot who insisted on the basis of no other evidence the problem was at my end. He went quiet when I asked how the email had been changed (over the phone).

PayPal have been very good, received an email from them and they are refunding the money. The credit card company couldn't help until the money had been taken, it was sat pending at the time. I have over 1000 spam messages in my folder, but nothing received recently, so fingers crossed they have buggered off :)

Thanks for all the advice peeps

Contemplating reporting it to Hampshire police, but not sure they'll be interested

Re: reporting it, unlikely. The chances are they're overseas and the level of investigation required is significant.

Not to belittle the offence but you know how it goes :)

I would say you could report it but as Troy mentioned, with this white collar stuff they usually aren't interested unless it's on a larger scale.

Cyber crime is so expensive and resource intensive to investigate that they only bother when they can justify the means. e.g large loss.

Most companies will jump at the chance to refund the money and to keep you satisfied because at the end of they day they want to keep your custom and its their reputation on the line with regards to keeping their customers data safe.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you but take solace in the fact that you're being refunded.

PayPal have been very good, received an email from them and they are refunding the money. The credit card company couldn't help until the money had been taken, it was sat pending at the time. I have over 1000 spam messages in my folder, but nothing received recently, so fingers crossed they have buggered off :) Thanks for all the advice peeps Contemplating reporting it to Hampshire police, but not sure they'll be interested Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

maybe report it to Action Fraud mate