Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
sb871546081077

Cumbria Constabulary's Sellafield Policing Unit

sb871546081077

http://www.cumbria.police.uk/news/latest-news/new-policing-arrangements-for-sellafield-ltd-site-in-west-cumbria?mobify=0

New policing arrangements for Sellafield Ltd site in West CumbriaSellafield Ltd, Cumbria Constabulary and Civil Nuclear Constabulary introduce new arrangements for policing West Cumbria siteCumbria Constabulary’s new ‘Sellafield Policing Unit’ was born this week when the first group of police officers dedicated to policing the West Cumbria site and the immediate vicinity took on their new roles.The officers are part of a new policing team that has been created by Cumbria Constabulary to specifically deal with conventional policing issues that occur in and around the Sellafield Ltd site.Following several months of discussion about what the services will include and the level of cover required, the government, through the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA), has agreed to provide funding to Cumbria Constabulary to enable the Force to secure the full-time resource required.Cumbria Constabulary’s ‘Sellafield Policing Unit’ will be embedded within Copeland Neighbourhood Policing Team. However, to ensure that the service does not detract from the policing service the rest of the Copeland community receives, the funding will ensure the Constabulary can recruit a dedicated service which will grow over the coming months to a team of seventeen police officers.Temporary Chief Constable Bernard Lawson said: “Cumbria Constabulary has a valued partnership with Sellafield Ltd and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and I am pleased that we are able to work together to provide a policing solution that will benefit those who work and live around the site, as well as the wider community. “Our new ‘Sellafield Policing Unit’ will work at the Sellafield site and the Copeland Neighbourhood Policing Team base at Whitehaven police station. Although the team’s main focus will be on attending incidents that affect the site, they will also be a resource we can call on to attend issues that affect the surrounding community.“Cumbria Constabulary has a successful history of working alongside Sellafield Ltd and the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and we all share an understanding in the joint role we have to play in maintaining site security.“We have created a new agreement which will see Cumbria Constabulary take responsibility for general policing issues such as upholding the law and preventing crime. This will allow the Civil Nuclear Constabulary to continue concentrating on site security.“Eight Cumbria Constabulary officers began work in the new team this week and this number will grow as we recruit more officers over the course of this year.”Rory O’Neill, Director for Stakeholder Relations at Sellafield Ltd said; “This partnership shows our continued focus on the security and policing of the Sellafield site. We welcome the additional knowledge and skills that members of Cumbria Constabulary will bring to our existing arrangements with the Civil Nuclear Constabulary, and the benefits for our surrounding community.”The Sellafield Policing Unit will comprise of a team of:• 1 Sergeant• 1 Detective Constable• 15 Police ConstablesThe new Sellafield Policing Unit will respond to reported incidents in the usual way. They will be despatched by Cumbria Constabulary communications centre.
As a CNC officer this embarrasses me. I'm sure we'd be quite capable if only allowed to by the hierarchy.

Sorry for double post

Mpt

So with that, what role do CNC play there now? Bar the transporting and on site expertise

Member Achievements

sb871546081077

CNC are responsible for the counter terrorism measures at site. I can see the logic behind it, but it's not like we're inundated with crime to deal with that it would detract from our CT capability.

Javioli

Did that sauna ever get built?

Radman

I find it very strange that this has happened - CNC is well and truly an 'Armed Security Guards' job now it seems (excuse me if that sounded harsher then I intended it to) but why dont you deal with crimes that occur on site?

MOD Plod do

BTP do

Port Police do

Parks Police did (to an extent)

Its not like you're not capable of investigating the amount of crime that comes your way, what did you do in your training?

Edited by Radman

Member Achievements

BlueLight85

I'm sure I read somewhere as a force the CNC had 7 arrests in 5 years.

Javioli

And there are more CNC officers on duty within the Sellafield site at one time than the entire county of Cumbria?

• Like 1

Radman
I'm sure I read somewhere as a force the CNC had 7 arrests in 5 years.

I pulled the statistic up for 2010/11 and in total they only had 12 arrests, nationwide in the entire year...

Heres the link from a Freedom of Information Request

Compare that with the much smaller Port of Dover Police - who detected 69 (Oh yeah... ;) ) offences in the month of December 2012 alone - thats probably more then my station detected in December!

Edited by Radman

Member Achievements

port
I find it very strange that this has happened - CNC is well and truly an 'Armed Security Guards' job now it seems (excuse me if that sounded harsher then I intended it to) but why dont you deal with crimes that occur on site?

MOD Plod do

BTP do

Port Police do

Parks Police did (to an extent)

Its not like you're not capable of investigating the amount of crime that comes your way, what did you do in your training?

Well, their CC is ex-Security Services, make of that what you will.

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

How much crime is there on these sites though? I can't imagine there is all that much.

Member Achievements

Radman
How much crime is there on these sites though? I can't imagine there is all that much.

Which sort of baffles why they dont investigate them, smaller forces seem to manage it and as we've already seen CNC seems to have a fair number of cops on duty on site.

Member Achievements

Mpt

Baring in my Port of Dover has their own CID, the investigations at least get a large amount of attention!

Member Achievements

Radman
Baring in my Port of Dover has their own CID, the investigations at least get a large amount of attention!

CNC also has a CID Team doesnt it?

If it doesnt why not employ one?

Edited by Radman

Member Achievements

Mpt
CNC also has a CID Team doesnt it?

If it doesnt why not employ one?

I'm not sure!

I'll plead ignorance if they do

Member Achievements

Radman
I'm not sure!

I'll plead ignorance if they do

But even if it didnt what are the PC's doing 99% of the time? Bar gate guarding and patrols?

Whats wrong with them investigating low level offences that occur on site?

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  
Paid Membership Required

There are 15 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David