Network drive options

Bubba1546080759

Iomega 2TB Network DriveI'm looking for some opions on this device

Basically I'm after a network storage drive, which will store all my Documents, Videos, Pictures and music. I want to plug it into my router and be able to access it via my laptop (running windows 7 or Ubuntu). My PS3 will be able to access this too and stream the music, photos and videos.

This one seems to tick all the box's and has some very good reviews from customers.

Is there anything else out there that will also work (out of the box with no fuss)

thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Candles

• Bubba1546080759

• Damsel

• Burnsy2023

There are loads of options. Search for Network Attached Storage (NAS).

I kinda love buffalo for reliability:

http://www.ebuyer.com/169011-buffalo-linkstation-live-2tb-1x-2tb-nas-drive-ls-ch2-0tl

that one has:

- NAS

- 1 x 2 TB

- Serial ATA - integrated

- Print server

- FTP server

- BitTorrent Client

Some routers out there will allow any portable media to become a NAS, but from what you want a NAS device would be preferable. I'd go for that one over yours just because it's a name I can trust and it's cheaper than yours :rolleyes:

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

Not to sure on the buffalo, I've had a bad experience with one before (wasn't cheap either)

Also looking at this one, which has twonky installed which works very well with the ps3

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/networked-attached-storage/western-digital-my-book-live-review-50002327/

Will do some more digging in the morning

I have a couple of D-Link NAS drives on my network

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/d-link-dns-320-sharecenter-pulse-12-in-1-nas-server-2x-sata-hdd-bay-with-raid

I have 2x 2TB drives in each unit running a mirror on each drive, they aren't the fastest drives out there but they are good enough to stream video over the network.

I really recommend the synology range;

http://www.synology.com/index.php?lang=default

Personally, I went for the DS-211;

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS211〈=enu

The Synologys are a tiny bit more expensive, but far superior to anything on the market at the moment - including the Buffalos. My colleague just bought a Buffalo (enclosure) and had issues with RAID stability, but seems to be ok now... It could have been the HDDs themselves, but have heard similar stories from other people. The features on the Synology drives are extensive, the support and documentation are extensive;

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Home

and modification possibilities also, if you are into that sort of thing... I am :whistle:

Blimey, with the price of those NAS units, I think I'll stick with my solution. And that's to have a file server. I've got one full tower with (currently) 6x1TB drives in it (thinking of upgrading it to 2TB drives) plus it's OS drive which is 500Gb.

I think we put the whole lot together for less than the price of a 2 bay NAS ohmy.gif and by using the USB ports with 4 port expanders, using a 2Tb drive as a base, we have the potential to increase its storage capacity to something like 54Tb if we wanted/needed it.

Blimey, with the price of those NAS units, I think I'll stick with my solution. And that's to have a file server. I've got one full tower with (currently) 6x1TB drives in it (thinking of upgrading it to 2TB drives) plus it's OS drive which is 500Gb.

I think we put the whole lot together for less than the price of a 2 bay NAS ohmy.gif and by using the USB ports with 4 port expanders, using a 2Tb drive as a base, we have the potential to increase its storage capacity to something like 54Tb if we wanted/needed it.

Oh you will undoubtedly do it cheaper if you set up your own file server - I was going to do so, and will probably still do so - However, it depends on your requirements, if you want a small, quiet, easy-to-configure consumer unit style solution, these boxes more than fit the bill - but you will pay a premium compared to putting an HP Proliant box in with your own solution. The requirement of the OP is to have an OOB working consumer device...

For those interested, I will be probably be using FreeNAS for the NAS part, and a load of add other solution packages, such as a DLNA compatible media server, subversion, etc etc... but on a rack mounted Proliant server (which is loud, big and will take more amount of time to setup, etc) - What did you use Damsel?? I can't tell you what we use at work - but lets just say it's own power requirements are more than my house...

Edited by candles

We have an old Pentium III full tower running Windows Server 2003 in a cupboard by the back door. Loud(ish) but with the door shut you never hear it.

That runs a few bits of software including TVersity & WinAmp server for all the multimedia streaming to Wii, and xBox 360's.

Sure, it's not as neat as a couple of NAS boxes, but it's infinitely more expandable. thumbsup.gif

Oh you will undoubtedly do it cheaper if you set up your own file server - I was going to do so, and will probably still do so - However, it depends on your requirements, if you want a small, quiet, easy-to-configure consumer unit style solution, these boxes more than fit the bill - but you will pay a premium compared to putting an HP Proliant box in with your own solution. The requirement of the OP is to have an OOB working consumer device...

For those interested, I will be probably be using FreeNAS for the NAS part, and a load of add other solution packages, such as a DLNA compatible media server, subversion, etc etc... but on a rack mounted Proliant server (which is loud, big and will take more amount of time to setup, etc) - What did you use Damsel?? I can't tell you what we use at work - but lets just say it's own power requirements are more than my house...

I set up a Microserver at work running Freenas off a USB stick and 8TB of storage. Works great on iSCSI.

We have an old Pentium III full tower running Windows Server 2003 in a cupboard by the back door. Loud(ish) but with the door shut you never hear it.

Granted the tower is peanuts, but the licence cost for a server licence would bump up the cost on top of the cost of the Tb storage.

I set up a Microserver at work running Freenas off a USB stick and 8TB of storage. Works great on iSCSI.

Ah ok doke, as you are running it on a stick, I assume it was 7?? I put a virtual box together running 8 and the iSCSI was good on that too...

Granted the tower is peanuts, but the licence cost for a server licence would bump up the cost on top of the cost of the Tb storage.

I was assuming that Damsel was putting an old server to use - hence already written off the cost (usually 3 years in a commercial environment...).

But absolutely good point - not really an option if you are buying new....

Anywho, I think we may be wandering a little off topic from the OP's question :)

Ah ok doke, as you are running it on a stick, I assume it was 7??

Nope. V8.

Cheers for the replies, I've gone with the WD my book live 3tb drive. Couldnt pass it up at the price I paid. All this server business isn't my bag, I needed a small unit to sit next to the router (which is currently in my boys bedroom)

Just need to rebuild my laptop now and I'm all set!

Cheers for the replies, I've gone with the WD my book live 3tb drive. Couldnt pass it up at the price I paid. All this server business isn't my bag, I needed a small unit to sit next to the router (which is currently in my boys bedroom)

Just need to rebuild my laptop now and I'm all set!

Yep, thought that was what the type of thing you were looking for, I assume it was this one??;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DTXFDS/ref=asc_df_B004DTXFDS5169034?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004DTXFDS

Looks nice, let us know how you get on with it... :whistle: