Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Police Community

Tattoos....

Police Community

Official guidance on tattoos states that you should not have any which could cause offence. Tattoos are not acceptable if they:

• undermine the dignity and authority of the office of constable
  • are garish or numerous or particularly prominent
  • could cause offence to members of the public or colleagues and/or invite provocation. This would include tattoos which are rude, lewd, crude, racist, sexist, sectarian, homophobic, violent or intimidating or tattoos which display unacceptable attitudes towards women, minority groups or any other section of the community, or alignment with particular groups which could give offence to members of the community.

Attached, an example of a tattoo that might well not meet the guidelines :whistle:

post-1-1098091668_thumb.jpg

ventress9193

I saw a Sussex officer at Ashford with a tattoo I found quite offensive, obviously Sussex police must be short! It took up most of his right forearm.

karmapolice

Offensive on account of it's size or it's content/images?

Member Achievements

pH_14

TVP need to buy thicker shirts.. my tattoo is clearly visible through the sleeve... but then if anyone can find anything in it to be offended by they need to stop watching daytime TV.

ventress9193
Offensive on account of it's size or it's content/images?

410212[/snapback]

It was a full black lined tattoo that covered his forearm and I feel didnt look quite right on a copper. Hey dont get me wrong I have one, which was photograped and measured before I joined!

lostprophet

"It was a full black lined tattoo that covered his forearm and I feel didnt look quite right on a copper."

Hmm, i see your point but, at the same time, unless the tattoo is particularly offensive, i don't see too much of a problem, having said that if it is really, erm, garish i think the word was then fair enough.

Though, just because someone likes big tattoos it doesn't make them a bad person, and doesn't mean theyre not a good officer.

Kitty1546080758
TVP need to buy thicker shirts.. my tattoo is clearly visible through the sleeve... 

410244[/snapback]

Agreed, if you look closely at many officers shirts you can see a tattoo of some description on the upper arm, shoulder or back. As long as they're not offensive or overly numerous I don't see the harm in them.

Member Achievements

scouse
It was a full black lined tattoo that covered his forearm and I feel didnt look quite right on a copper. Hey dont get me wrong I have one, which was photograped and measured before I joined!

So what, he may have had the tatt before deciding to join, I have a tribal from my shoulder to my elbow and names in old english down both my forearms, does that mean i cannot serve the community as good as someone who has no tatts, i think not.......

• Like 1

Spelly

I have a tattoo on my forearm of a symbol of some sort.

All i get comments on from MOP's is how cool it looks!!

Member Achievements

MetPC
Attached, an example of a tattoo that might well not meet the guidelines :whistle:

332325[/snapback]

I'm not getting why that would fall outside of the guidelines

Pinky1546080778
I'm not getting why that would fall outside of the guidelines

526363[/snapback]

Honestly? :whistle:

ACAB = All Coppers are B**tards.

Not right nice.

Bubba1546080759
Honestly? :whistle:

ACAB = All Coppers are B**tards.

Not right nice.

531099[/snapback]

I didn't get it either at first, so thanks for opening my eyes :lol:

I have a tattoo on my right arm and was thinking of getting another one.

A chap on my rota is covered in tattoo's and just has to wear a long sleeve shirt, not really a problem.

Member Achievements

pc9844

A young probationer who I tutored had a tat' of the George Cross on his upper arm. Before he was aloud in the job, he was told to remove it or cover it with something else. Exactly what is wrong with a tat' of this description. Who will it offend.

What if he was an asian officer and had a tat' of an asian country. Would they say the same.

He removed it to get in.

I think this was an abuse of authority. :whistle:

Chaser81

Though I disobeyed my Dads request not to start smoking, I did however listen to him when he said he regretted getting a tattoo as a young man, and as such I have never felt the need myself. I have no problem with tattoos though as long as they arent offensive or intimidating to others.

Pinky1546080778

I was talking to a neer'do well the other day who was giving it all the "Er, yeah, I wouldn't mind joining the Police, like"

He was covered in tattoos.

I said "Oh, ever been in trouble with the Police, been sent down or anything?"

"Er, no. Never. Honest!"

The fact that he clearly had 'The Saint' logo on his bicep, 'cut here' and a dotted line around both his wrists and "Borstal Boys '74" on his forarm - all done with as needle and Indian Ink and mostly spelt wrong, somehow made me have my suspicions about his honesty and intergreity!

Edited by Pinky

Sign in to follow this  

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK. In 2019 the decision was taken to merge all four forums into this main form of www.police.community

Get in touch

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators