Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
jmc195

Boots and equipment

jmc195

Hi, due to start my training in the near future and I have a few questions. Firstly, is there a certain pair of Altbergs that people would recommend? I'm going to visit the Richmond warehouse in North Yorkshire this weekend. Secondly, I've had my uniform fitting, will this be issued on the first week of training? And finally other than uniform what equipment is actually issued, are there other things you would recommend purchasing? 

Thanks! 

Member Achievements

Ygnharad
Hi, due to start my training in the near future and I have a few questions. Firstly, is there a certain pair of Altbergs that people would recommend? I'm going to visit the Richmond warehouse in North Yorkshire this weekend. Secondly, I've had my uniform fitting, will this be issued on the first week of training? And finally other than uniform what equipment is actually issued, are there other things you would recommend purchasing? 
Thanks! 

Hey jmc195!

Having recently joined the job, I'll happily help you here!

I wouldn't be able to suggest anything on altbergs, I chose Bates but have heard many good things about both! My recommendation would be to try every damned pair on that you can!

We were advised on our first day to wear smart clothes, a suit, essentially. I went out and bought several new shirts and wore my best clothes, just to be issued with a big box including all my equipment minus body armour, radio, phone and warrant card.

The equipment I was issued is as below;

2x combat/patrol trousers
6x wicking shirts
1x soft shell jacket
1x super comfy raincoat
2x Number One shirts
1x Number One trousers
1x Pair of Kevlar gloves
1x regular belt
1x tactical belt
1x CPR mask
3x utility clips
1x document pouch
1x Waterproof over trousers
1x Waterproof over hat thing
1x Tactical vest
1x High vis
1x radio pouch
Hats

Upon the end of my training I was issued with:

1x Radio
1x Samsung Smartphone
1x Warrant cards
And everything else that you get!

Things I would recommend buying:

- Good socks, something like 5.11's
- Better gloves, something that you can use a phone with, write with, use well
- Under clothes like thermal underwear (depends when you go operational really, I use them all the time in the winter)
- We got given some freebies like key chains and stuff from PMAS but if you don't get these, I would invest in them, getting keys to your locker, nick, radio locker, etc. Makes it worth keeping them safe and attached to your clothing.
- Notepad for quick reference (call signs, etc)
- Thermal flask if you drink as much coffee as me!
- Vehicle for day one as the amount of stuff you'll be issued is a fair bit!
- Document pad for taking notes during training
- A good nights sleep, expect to be murdered by powerpoints
- A few pinches of salt
- A good sense of humour
- Plenty of jokes
- if your force uses Samsung devices, I'd recommend an external battery supply from somewhere like Anker, but this isn't needed for your training
- A pocket full of pens
- If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

jmc195

Thanks for such a great and super fast reply ! Really appreciate the detail. So much kit... might have to clear out my wardrobe! Really excited to start now it's so close, just a nice little holiday to Mexico to endure first :). Again, thanks for the response, but, can you please not ruin the grand slam hopes this coming Saturday tea time ? 

:D

Member Achievements

Ygnharad
1 hour ago, jmc195 said:
Thanks for such a great and super fast reply ! Really appreciate the detail. So much kit... might have to clear out my wardrobe! Really excited to start now it's so close, just a nice little holiday to Mexico to endure first :). Again, thanks for the response, but, can you please not ruin the grand slam hopes this coming Saturday tea time ? 

You're more than welcome!

I've been self employed and have been in pretty relaxed employment most of my life, so going from that to the police was a big shake up. My best bit of advice would be to keep your head down really. Enjoy the holiday while it lasts! Unfortunately I'm working lates across this weekend! Won't stop me from keeping an eye on the result though! I'm skeptical, but hoping for a win for god country! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Ygnharad

PCW

Oh and don't forget a torch, unless your force supply you with a decent one it might be worth and investment.

We get issued with maglights which no one uses apart from propping doors, but it's under review...

• Like 1

Member Achievements

jmc195

Visited the Alt-berg factory today,  bought the peacekeeper aqua's very comfy. Were £160 but got them for £105 with police discount- not bad at all. Time to break them in.

Member Achievements

Co1923

Great choice in boots. I've got the peacekeepers and warriors in black. Both very comfy but supportive. The peacekeepers are best for driving in too.