Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

JonBrad1988

Hi Visibility Equipment Vest

JonBrad1988

Morning All,

I'm currently a Police Community Support officer and wear all black kit.

Last year it was introduced to us that we have to wear a hi visibility jacket at all times to help improve our main priority, Visibility. This meant we have to wear four layers in the baking sun, walking the beat! An Op Top (t-shirt), Mehler Vario Body Armour, Equipment Vest, hi visibility jacket (zipped up over the top!).

We have raised concerns to our superiors that things aren't fit for purpose but feel it's being brushed under the carpet. Our main concern is heat followed by not having quick access to our equipment should a spontaneous moment occur (we'd have to unzip the jacket etc).

Our superiors have told us that there is no hi visibility equipment vest available that is BS EN 471 Class 3 Compliant like our jackets, therefore, we would not be covered under health and safety regulations.

Any help or ideas anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers.

skydiver

The PPE my force uses is high viz and has pouches built into it for equipment, although most officers still use a separate utility belt as there isn't an attachment point for a captor lanyard!  I couldn't tell you if it is built to match the  BS EN 471 Class 3 your force has quoted.

999tommo

Not sure about the BS stuff, but surely, irrespective of the type of high vis, the PPE should be worn on the outside. If an officer is injured because they could not get to their PPE due to it being concealed under a jacket, worn under direct instruction, the force would be sued and would lose...big time.

I suggest you put your concern in writing, even via email, and when you get a written reply.....store it somewhere safe.

skydiver

Not sure about the BS stuff, but surely, irrespective of the type of high vis, the PPE should be worn on the outside. If an officer is injured because they could not get to their PPE due to it being concealed under a jacket, worn under direct instruction, the force would be sued and would lose...big time.

I suggest you put your concern in writing, even via email, and when you get a written reply.....store it somewhere safe.

Our old model which will be in use for quite a few more years is designed to be worn under a fleece.  The new one I mentioned above, is designed to be worn on the outside.

KrustyG1545926289

Arktis make a class 1 vest http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/products/p156e/ this is probably the best you could get.

I work on the motorway and carry Taser. Our force tells us to fasten our jackets over our black equipment vests but this means you have no access to PPE if you need it in a hurry. We trialled a bespoke hi-vis taser vest but it was deemed unsuitable by the force. The non-taser version was deemed okay but in the end neither was purchased. We are also not allowed to carry taser on our equipment belts so that's not an option either.

The Arktis taser vest is deemed of sufficient quality but ive been told won't be purchased.

I'd be interested in hearing how officers working on the motorway throughout the UK are equipped and whether this is an issue elsewhere.