Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Response Pleb

Vests or Belts?

Response Pleb

We're experiencing some sort of retro feeling from the Job at the moment, whereby the equipment vests we were issued now seem to be going 'out of style'. I wear a vest and, as i work response, it works a treat; all my equipment is where I need it to be and it's comfortable to wear in or out of a car.

We're now being pushed back towards belts, which are uncomfortable to wear when zipping about in a car; you end up with all of your gear pushed to the sides or digging into your groin (which gets a bit irritating). I can see the attraction if you are a neighbourhood officer on foot for the majority of the time, but I find them uncomfortable and back-fatiguing over time.

Whats the consensus out there?

999tommo

I had a back op a few years ago in relation to two prolapse discs and for that reason I can't wear the utility belt. The default position in our force is vest and belt, although if you have particular back issues you can obtain what we call a TAC vest, which goes over the top of your vest, like a waistcoat and all you PPE goes on that. The more preferable idea for me is to get hold of Peter Jones Clickfast products for your baton and cuffs, so they click directly onto your vest, without the need for the TAC vest, but these are frowned upon by our force and in any case you have to buy your own.

Member Achievements

Traffic Rat

My force has decided all but ARV, Dogs, BCU Taser Officers & Motorway must hand Tac vests back in and revert to a belt, one reason given was that there is no scientific evidence to support that wearing a belt causes back problems ..........

Member Achievements

Penbwlch

I had a back op a few years ago in relation to two prolapse discs and for that reason I can't wear the utility belt. The default position in our force is vest and belt, although if you have particular back issues you can obtain what we call a TAC vest, which goes over the top of your vest, like a waistcoat and all you PPE goes on that. The more preferable idea for me is to get hold of Peter Jones Clickfast products for your baton and cuffs, so they click directly onto your vest, without the need for the TAC vest, but these are frowned upon by our force and in any case you have to buy your own.

My personal choice would be to have an officer as an assistant. He/she could carry the equipment. ;):tongue_cheek:

Member Achievements

999tommo

When I started Pen, we did have Sherpas and they could carry a fair amount !!  :D    The inward facing rear seats made travel in the rear to a big incident, a bit of a challenge. :o

Member Achievements

Penbwlch

When I started Pen, we did have Sherpas and they could carry a fair amount !!  :D    The inward facing rear seats made travel in the rear to a big incident, a bit of a challenge. :o

I always found that the biggest challenge in those circumstances was the driver. Well, that and the solid tyres. ;)

Member Achievements

999tommo

Solid tyres is not something I recall. I joined post-traction engines !;)

Member Achievements

Penbwlch

Solid tyres is not something I recall. I joined post-traction engines ! ;)

Huh! Youngsters today. They have it so easy. :angry:

Member Achievements

Constable Cop

there is no scientific evidence to support that wearing a belt causes back problems ..........

Those with scientific knowledge should be forced to endure the heavy PSNI ballistic vest and belt equipment including Glock which comes with the job, for I'm convinced they'll soon change their minds. Shouldn't grumble, it's all kids stuff compared to the troops in Afghan.

Member Achievements

canadacop

Here we have the option. Of course we all wear sidearms on a belt and we all wear ballistic vests. The debate however , is an under shirt vest which is vest only. OR, an over shirt vest which can carry everything except firearm and ammunition magazines. The undershirt is hotter in summer as it cannot be removed but is far safer ..... It cannot be pulled off in a fight, and a bad guy won't try to "shoot around " it in a gunfight. The latter is somewhat far fetched but I have have a colleague of mine lose his outer vest in a fight......with it went his radio, baton, spray, evidence book, cell phone, money, ballistic inserts , and his girlfriend address book. He now puts all his gear back on his belt, wears his ballistic vest under his shirt and sweats a bit more in July. Different take on a similar issue from across the big moist.

RogueTrooper

I much prefer not having to wear a belt, with my handcuffs/baton etc carried by the vest.

Member Achievements

MightyMouse

Vest for me every day. I hate duty belts. They cause pain and they place weight on certain areas of the back that's not a good idea.

We have to wear belts for public order duties but pretty much all other times it's tac vests. And the amount of people who complain of back pain after a day in a belt on foot is high.

There have been studies about belts and back pain although nothing concrete in the uk it seems. Have a google, there are links. I also believe Arktis show an example of a force that cut injury time related to cal injuries when they started to use their vests instead of belts.

I suspect one day we'll see a class action type of legal battle between a large number of retired officers and a police force over long term back pain. Until that day belts will remain.

bikerider

We're experiencing some sort of retro feeling from the Job at the moment, whereby the equipment vests we were issued now seem to be going 'out of style'. I wear a vest and, as i work response, it works a treat; all my equipment is where I need it to be and it's comfortable to wear in or out of a car.

We're now being pushed back towards belts, which are uncomfortable to wear when zipping about in a car; you end up with all of your gear pushed to the sides or digging into your groin (which gets a bit irritating). I can see the attraction if you are a neighbourhood officer on foot for the majority of the time, but I find them uncomfortable and back-fatiguing over time.

Whats the consensus out there?

The speedcuffs (and other equipment) on a belt will also in a very short time, damage the vehicle's upholstery, perhaps this should be brought to the attention of management. Also if you are distracted by discomfort when driving, then this may detract from your concentration when in a response situation. That is also something that should be considered.

Member Achievements

Rossandrew1

Just yesterday a lot of the other cops I was working with had vest attachments rather than a utility belt, baton, PAVA, cuffs etc all attached to their Hi Vis jackets. No belt needed at all. I would have given my left arm yesterday to be able to drop the belt for those attachments.

Does anyone know where I can buy them? I need one for my PAVA holder, Cuffs and Baton.

Cheers

Reasonable Man

Do you not have a stores department that gives you your uniform items for free?

Why would you be buying uniform?

Sent from me using witchcraft

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this  
There are 6 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David