SGT's 2010

scorchio

Hi all,

I'm in need of some revision advice in relation to the up-coming sergeants exam.

Basically...what are/is the best study book? I've tried to research crammers, blackstones and whatever else there is but none have a definitive guide as to what they include.

Would I be right in thinking that only BLACKSTONES books have case law included in them? If this is so then will a crammer and copy of BLACKSTONES the job gave me when I first joined (just over two years ago) be a good combination?

Also, what do people think of CDs? I hear the Advance Traininghttp://www.policepass.co.uk' target="_blank"> ones are very good (despite the Welsh accent throughout). I've also heard good things about their crammer.

All your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Scorchio

Sorry for the edit but advertising is not

allowed in the forums and providing a direct link to a site gives an

unfair advantage to one product over the others.

Penbwlch2009-09-25 08:12:08

All your help and advice would be much appreciated.

DON'T DO IT!!!

DON'T DO IT!!!

That wasn't really the help or advice I was in the market for!

Cheers though.

I used the Police Pass cd's and books and they worked for me. The cd's are about £15/20 and the book £45. I also used the crammer book as well.

To be honest I didn't like Blackstones, they didn't work for me, but everyones different. Whatever you do don't use old books for revision as so many things change on in each exam year on year. Saying that I only did it once and passed!

I've just done mine last year, and the closest questions I found to the exam were the Blackstones Q+A online, which are accessible from any computer with internet access.

When revising I used the Tom Barron crammer cd's as well as the Police Pass ones(I have a 2 hour commute each work day) and although some subjects overlap there is a lot on each set that is unique.

As far as books goes I used the Blackstones for the case law mostly, but also used the PolicePass one as an easier to read quick reference.

I used the Blackstones books. Although I found them hard going I'd recommend them over anything else to be honest. I also used the Tom Barron audio cd's - which I turned to when my eyes wouldn't allow me to read anymore. Personally though, I don't think I would have passed without using a cd-rom I got from Advance Training. I know at least 5 other people who used this and passed first time.. may be coincidence of course! Everyone has their own way of learning - I found that doing questions over and over helped it all sink in. Good luck.

Sorry for the edit but advertising is not allowed in the forums and providing a direct link to a site gives an unfair advantage to one product over the others.

Penbwlch2009-09-25 08:10:59

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've done a month now using the Tom Barron CD's. I have an hour or so round trip to work each day so I'm making the most of them in my car. I've also added them to my Ipod for when I'm walking the dog.

I have to say that I'm finding them to be an extremely worthwhile purchase. I'm making sure I don't over do it.

My 'master' plan is to continue to use these through November before adding revision questions in from December onwards. I've booked a Crammer Course with Checkmate publishing as I've not seen a bad word said about them.

Can anyone assist me with a good online Q and A package? I've had ICAL, Police Pass, Blackstones and Detailed Technologies......??? Too mush choice!!!!

Heeeelp please!

The only issue I had with the checkmate publishing was the evidence and procedure side was lacking!! Although that may have changed now I passed 5 yrs ago.