• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reasonable Man

• Matt23

• sidewinder

• Sister Purity

I have never had to contact Unison directly although I am a member. We have Unison reps at my place of employment so contact is easily available.

I am on sick at the moment having been hospitalised. This was expected & my employers advised. I do expect to be contacting Unison if I am given the usual advice that my absence was 'not appropriate' when I return.

Does any other force (I am with Essex) follow this ludicrous policy of warning their staff, police & civilian, for periods of sickness, even though in the case of serving officers this is sometimes with injuries sustained in the course of their duty?

• 3 months later...

In previous employment with another police force, i had occassion to use the services of UNISON on several occassions, from employment, pay and condition disputes through to legal representation, and in the main found the service to be adequate, with my issues being dealt with to my satisfaction. Because of my job role I found it an advantage to have a large organisation to fall back on (legal representation) as opposed to going it alone.

• 2 months later...

I recently had UNISON support after being a pedestrian in an RTA where I was injured by a drunk driver. They were great and helped with some employer issues that I had as well.

I have also seen them do some good work with colleagues over welfare and pay issues. Most of the time I don't need to bother with them but they are really worth having!

smiley4.gif

Im with MSF union, as they cover me for my Police and Ambulance work, they are really good too. I have only contacted them once and i couldnt fault the service.

Seems to me that you civilians get a better service than we do from the fed!

Im luckly only having to use them once. Im sure every union have pros and cons. Im just just to have only found the pros!

• 2 months later...

I am not being nasty towards Union Reps when I say this, but my experience is it is down to the luck of the draw if you get a good one or a not so good one.

I found having studied Employment Law meant I could do all the work myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as a UNISON Rep and a member of my Branch Executive Committee I agree with outrageous comment about good and bad reps. Yes you can learn a lot from reading but in the legal profession they have a saying, "a lawyer who conducts his own defence has a fool for a client". Not, I hasten to add, do I think that outrageous is a fool.

To anyone who thinks that they could do the job better than their present reps then why not become a rep yourself and make those improvements.

smiley1.gif Pete

Pete,

I was not being funny against Union Reps, I was talking from personal experience.  Unions are invaluable, I would advise anyone to be a member.  But depending on what is being argued sometimes you know your own defense more than anyone else could.  Reps know employment law, but sometimes, and this is where my experience came in, it begins to venture outside of Employment law.  If you have the knowledge to identify when that is happening you are halfway home.

I would never become a union rep for one reason, I am a screamer, terrible temper when management are trying to bull me.  That is why I would never advise anyone not to be a member of a union.  I go into things (God, I'm making it sound like am I right nightmare) with the idea I win or do not win.  Not interested in a middle-ground, no, I win or do not win.  No one needs that for a Rep.

Therefore, please do not think I was sl*gging your profession off, I certainly think you should be given more power and more resources.

No offence taken and none intended. We have far more power than the Feds but a bit more would be very useful.

• 1 month later...

We area  support group for police oficers and staff who have been bullied or victimised for raising public interest issues.

We have found that often the culture of an organisation may affect the level of support being provided by a representative.

We have also supported Police Federation Representatives and Unison Reps who have themselves been victimised for trying to properly represent their clients.

www.ipsg.co.uk

Independent Police Support Group

Smudge,

Your website does not load for me. I have tried it with both Firefox and IE. The percentage bar loads up to 82% and then wants to download a file (appears to be a sound file of some sort). I will not allow an unknown site to download any file to my computer (for security reasons) so I stop this file. At that point the web page refuses to load. Have you a url that does not want to download a file?