'Like rats with good PR': PCC cuts into rival force

Fedster

CC Barton feels the sharp side of Holloway's tongue.

PCC Kathryn Holloway takes on Mike Barton

PCC Kathryn Holloway takes on Mike Barton

Date - 12th October 2018
By - JJ Hutber- Police Oracle
7 Comments7 Comments}

A police and crime commissioner launched a furious diatribe against another force at a local scrutiny meeting this week.

Bedfordshire PCC Kathryn Holloway harangued Durham Constabulary at her local police and crime panel’s meeting on Tuesday.

She told the slightly nonplussed committee: “It’s deeply frustrating to me when I see an individual force and that force being Durham being singled out as an exemplar for policing as a whole.

“Mike Barton [Durham chief constable] does not hide his light under a bush.

“It’s fair to say because I lived in the northeast from 1970 until 1990 and part of that time I was an investigative reporter across print, radio and television in the region.

“I can say there is absolutely no comparison which would withstand examination and scrutiny of the crime challenges complexity and for the type of crime that ferociously absorbs resource in Bedfordshire with that which is experienced in Durham.

“You only have to look at the potential terror threat to see that.

“But also around serious organised crime and other issues around county lines that are running into and out of the capital here because of our geographical location, which are not replicated in any way that is comparable in Durham and in the north east where they have one sleepy university town and a handful of mining villages.

“From personal experience the relationship between policing and the local communities is by no means as rosy as it is painted by Durham because the local population have a very, very long memory of the miners’ strike.”

She finished with: “They’ve got very good PR. Like squirrels. Rats with good PR.”

HMI Matt Parr who had been invited to speak at the meeting referred to Durham Constabulary as he explained why Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary does not rank forces.

He said: “If you go to anyone in Durham, particularly the chief constable, he’ll tell you it’s the best force in the country.

“We don’t say that, we just don’t. Durham is a very different place to Bedfordshire. It’s just very different. So I think saying any force is the best in the country or worse - I just wouldn’t do it.”

He also briefly mentioned he had been unimpressed when representatives from Durham Constabulary proudly told him they have the best vehicle crime resolution rate in the country as “in any parallel universe 19 per cent is terrible”.

Ms Holloway had apparently picked the wrong audience for her verbal onslaught as Mr Parr is Durham University alumni.

Mr Parr hit back: “Durham is not a sleepy university town- I went there and it’s fantastic.”

Police Oracle contacted Durham Constabulary but the force declined to comment.

View On Police Oracle

I once asked a very friendly pleasant man in the police station could he get the photocopier to work as we couldn't   I didn't know he is now CC in Durham 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pathca said:

I once asked a very friendly pleasant man in the police station could he get the photocopier to work as we couldn't   I didn't know he is now CC in Durham 

Don't leave us in suspense - did he get the copier working?