Traffic spec vehicles

Hi guys,

Drawing the line at operational info, what do people mean when they say it's a "traffic spec" unmarked vehicle?

Same equipment carried, light board in rear screen? Advanced ticket needed? 

@Eebs I think you've answered your own question. To me it just means it's a vehicle that would require an advanced permit. Makes me think of the unmarked beemers etc. 

maxresdefault.jpg

That's what I'd think of if you said a traffic spec unmarked vehicle. 

BMW used to (may still do) supply vehicles in a “police spec.” Which means you get a very bland interior but the engine/dash etc are the same at the vehicles available to the general market. The blues and twos will be fitted in house or by external company.

An unmarked traffic vehicle (on the inside) will look exactly the same as a marked vehicle. The driving authority required is dependant on the BHP of the vehicle. But most, if not all, traffic vehicles with be advanced grade only.

• 1 month later...
Jeebs
On 06/10/2018 at 20:19, Mac7 said:

BMW used to (may still do) supply vehicles in a “police spec.” Which means you get a very bland interior but the engine/dash etc are the same at the vehicles available to the general market. The blues and twos will be fitted in house or by external company.

An unmarked traffic vehicle (on the inside) will look exactly the same as a marked vehicle. The driving authority required is dependant on the BHP of the vehicle. But most, if not all, traffic vehicles with be advanced grade only.

BMW Authorities do still supply vehicles directly to police, in fact I think they have the national vehicle contract for “performance” cars and 4x4s.

Like you said they will supply a vehicle with a non standard interior, for example on a civvie 5 series you can’t get a cloth interior, but the BMW Authorities one will have cloth and so on.

They can supply the vehicles fully liveried, with all lamps already fitted, but they will also supply the vehicles with all the looms fitted so a force can add the kit themselves.

Rumour has it/mechanics say a BMW Authorities car is had for less than a brand new Ford Fiesta.

Our traffic 5 series had full leather interiors. 

From what I could tell, they were no different to one's on general sale. 

Edited by Shmook
Spelling
Our traffic 5 series had full leather interiors. 
From what I cos tell, they were no different to one's on general sale. 
Pretty much, apparently they do it for "resale value". Having previously bought a couple of ex-traffic cars I can assure them it makes no difference. Whatever the price for a privately owned one is, it'll go for around half price at the auction.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...