Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Techie1

Police found woman dead 17 hours after 999 call

Techie1

POLICE officers and staff "failed in their duties and responsibilities" after a vulnerable woman was found dead almost 17 hours after her social worker raised concerns about her.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/16960773.police-found-woman-dead-17-hours-after-999-call/

Is A&E the best place for someone who has had a major depressive disorder?

Is it right to expect someone to make their own way - should an ambulance have been called or at least a friend or family member? 

Who investigates social services? 

Chaos

I wonder how many emergency calls they had in that 17 hours they struggled to deploy to?

Zulu 22

I wonder just what role the Social Worker had in all this, and what did she physically do herself. We do not even know what her message was, Perhaps it was another case of pass the buck and go home.

Mac7
I wonder just what role the Social Worker had in all this, and what did she physically do herself. We do not even know what her message was, Perhaps it was another case of pass the buck and go home.

He/she called the police. That’s what their own form of incident log will say and what their policy will dictate. Buck passed.

It reads of a classic case of how the IOPC should be shifting its culture from blame to lessons learnt. Beating people with a stick gets you nowhere and does not help this kind of incident be prevented in the future.

Two officers disciplined for delayed response sounds like scapegoats to me. But they’ve conducted their investigation, blamed some officers and staff, so job done.

Like Zulu says, what about the social care aspect, crisis teams, GP’s etc?

SOP

Police Conduct seem to no longer routinely publish investigation report except for the most serious of cases. Instead publishing vague summaries that offer no learning. https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/recommendations/response-concern-welfare-report-essex-police-and-suffolk-police-august-2017 The investigation summary reads doesn't explain role each member of staff had and officer's had , just management action all round.

Police Conduct also haven't published any " learning the lessons " since march .https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/research-and-learning/learning-and-recommendations/learning-lessons Internal policies probably haven't been followed regarding escalating the unassigned incidents, which I suspect their were many . Additionally management action two PCs relating to delayed response , if your not in a position to respond don't accept the call. If you are committed with calls ,paperwork, enquires even refreshments don't accept any calls to you are actually available. With reduced resources reports like these will only increase.

Edited by SOP

Hyphen

It does irritate me that the IOPC aren’t publishing the actual reports anymore. It’s not really good enough. I think it is far too vague. 

As a bigger issue I’m amazed that we aren’t seeing reports like this every day. There are tonnes of jobs which just get delayed and delayed and even when escalated the answer is the same, there is no one to send. 

Policing is getting by on dumb luck most of the time and things will come crashing down eventually. 

It does seem very much like scapegoating going on here which does not help anyone and is a disgrace. 

This is one of those stories that should be a wake up to those in senior roles. Should we as a service be looking at this and asking why this was a job that needed resourcing in the first place? Why do we attend these sorts of calls anyway? How can the police be at fault here? 

If the social worker was so concerned why were the Police called, why didn’t he/she attend the address in person or make arrangements with EDT to attend? As has been mentioned why weren’t the ambulance service contacted? Where were the MH services in all this? 

I think the issue here is we have reached a point where people’s default is to call the police, we don’t have enough resources to get to actual police jobs let alone everything else.

Sadly nothing will change.

SD

If we are going to take the responsibility for SS then we have to accept the rubbish that comes with it when it goes wrong. Till forces start saying ‘no’ we should treat them as urgent calls and crime takes a back seat. If the public don’t like the fact we don’t deal with their burglary then they can complain to their MP and local NHS trust.

Jeebs

This really is an investigation which should have been directed at Social services. How is the social worker being held to account for this? Sounds like a 5pm Friday special.

Just remember, “Your job is nothing more, and nothing less, than to cut crime”

Zulu 22
14 hours ago, Jeebs said:

This really is an investigation which should have been directed at Social services. How is the social worker being held to account for this? Sounds like a 5pm Friday special.

Just remember, “Your job is nothing more, and nothing less, than to cut crime”

I hope you missed an emoji there. "Our first and primary duty is the Protection of Life and property"  It is unfortunate that when agencies like Social Services fail to fulfil their duty and decide to left shoulder their responsibilities we are left in a cleft stick. It was brought to our attention, in any way, that there was a vulnerable person liable to self harm we have no alternative but to take some form of action. 

Mazza

I had a social worker try and report a young person who had absconded from school as “missing”. I asked if anyone had actually tried to look for her. They replied “no”. I told them to come back to me when they didn’t have a clue where she was and actually needed police resource to assist. Shockingly enough she wasn’t reported missing.

Unfortunately a proportion of social workers have been so used to the Police helping with genuine incidents that they have become complacent and instead of checking the lady’s house, like this social worker SHOULD have done (because she has a duty of care and a preexisting relationship), she’s gone home for the weekend trusting that we will do what she could do herself.

I think we need more clear lines in the sand and defined agreements made in partnership with social work which show where they stop and we begin. I think they have a lot of policy in place which we have no sight of.

obsidian_eclipse

Echoing the above.

I had a patient abscond from a residential mental health facility. Instead of them trying to search for the individual they rang their next of kin at 2am, an elderly woman, to tell them to report to the police that they were missing. Why? Because the facility had a duty of care for the patient and was responsible for their well being as well as organising relevant resources to search for them. This absolved them of responsibility because it was a relative reporting them missing, not the facility, therefore should they be found injured (or worse) then it wasn't their fault. No doubt it would be our fault as the police for not finding them quick enough.

Initially we didn't know they were missing from a secure facility because the relative only relayed the basics to the 999 call taker. It wasn't until much later we managed to get a proper missing persons statement from the relative we learned of this 'omission'. Can you imagine if we were attending other grade ones and hadn't had time to properly search for a missing person (unknown risk), only to discover them dead 6/7 hours later? The headlines would have been "Police fail to search for missing vulnerable adult who absconded from ____. Found dead 12 hours later after 999 call". It wouldnt matter to the media it was because all the pertinent information was missing and the buck had been passed!