Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Fedster

Senior Scotland Yard officer faces the sack for using 'racist' term 'whiter than white' in briefing to colleagues about being faultless in their inquiries

Growley

It'll almost certainly go nowhere, but it is frustrating to hear that people even complain about things like this. Who wants to work with someone who's actively looking to be offended by everyday non-controversial sayings?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Hyphen

The only people that should be disciplined or sacked in relation to this are the person who made this ridiculous complaint, clearly they have racial issues if they are making an issue out of this and even more so the person who has taken this complaint in the first place and treated it seriously. 

They should be held to account for this gross abuse of the misconduct process and for seriously bringing the reputation of the force and service as a whole in to disrepute. 

I might sound harsh but something has to give.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Who ever complained should be investigated as to see any form in the remark is disgusting and completely out of order. White is the universal colour of innocence, as shown in the colour of a brides dress and a child's christening gown. To regard people as white is totally incorrect. The nearest I have seen to a white person has been a corpse.  I have never seen a white officer; I have see slightly pink, slightly mushroom colour, very slightly tanned but never white. Sorry just realised that I have seen someone who was white but, he was wearing white make up as a Circus Clown.

Whilst typing this Hyphen has posted and I absolutely  concur with his remarks.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Mac7

Restricted duties as well????

I honestly think that if your first thought in matter such as this is racism then you have serious issues and potentially racist yourself. Like the cartoons involving Serena Williams. If you see them and instantly think racism, you have issues.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

It’s half a story in the Daily Fail. IF an officer ends up in a misconduct hearing then I agree with the previous posts but at present I am taking it as typical Fail Fake News.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Member Achievements

Mac7
It’s half a story in the Daily Fail. IF an officer ends up in a misconduct hearing then I agree with the previous posts but at present I am taking it as typical Fail Fake News.

I think the Evening Standard is running with as well.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

Political correctness gone mad. 

A phrase that has no racial connotations at all. 

Member Achievements

Radman

Someone needs to put an end to this madness.

How can this ever get so far?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf

'It may have been a poor use of language but this is not what the misconduct process is for. This is not corruption, this is not serious wrongdoing.'

In the absence of any other aggravating factors, this just about sums it up.

Member Achievements

Sapor62

It's beggars belief that this has even got to complaint stage, in a world of budget cuts and no proverbial pot to p**s in, we've got an officer on restricted duties on full pay who earns circa £80k a year for something as ridiculous as this...

Member Achievements

SimonT
16 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

While this story rumbles away, generating its own news, someone from the met needs to provide some form of clarity about what this is actually relating to. 

Not the full details, just enough to confirm or even deny that this isn't the full extent and context of the allegations 

Member Achievements

Hyphen
47 minutes ago, SimonT said:

While this story rumbles away, generating its own news, someone from the met needs to provide some form of clarity about what this is actually relating to. 

Not the full details, just enough to confirm or even deny that this isn't the full extent and context of the allegations 

Definitely, I would go as far as to say the full nature of the case needs to be published. The way it is at the moment is extremely damaging to the reputation of the force.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

Maybe this bit from the Evening Standard makes it more understandable, ‘The complaint involving the phrase “whiter than white” is among a number of claims levelled against officers in the Met’s anti-corruption unit in an IOPC inquiry codenamed Operation Embley. Allegations include racism, interfering in investigations and turning a blind eye to wrongdoing.
Three officers have been served with gross misconduct notices, including the superintendent accused of using the phrase “whiter than white”. Another officer is also under criminal investigation. Up to 11 others are facing possible inquiries.’
The Fail story made it look like a single complaint about a single incident, this suggests a more involved Operation.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

It does not change the fact that the term "Whiter than white" is not, and never has been a racist term. The problem is that it is now normal for someone to cry racism at the slightest excuse when it blatantly not.

Member Achievements