Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Fedster

Metropolitan Police drops tens of thousands of cases within hours of them being reported by victims

JulietAlpha1

Lazy reporting again. No mention of on what grounds the cases were closed. It states 32 “sexual offence” cases over a five month period, that’s less than two cases a week that are screened out on first submission. The article doesn’t confirm how serious these sexual offences are which would have a bearing on how they’re are assessed. A minor sexual assault where the victim doesn’t want to support a prosecution and a rape where the victim doesn’t want to support a prosecution will receive different assessments but will both come under the sexual offences category.

Similarly violent assaults or more serious crime. A GBH could be a stabbing or an assault where the victim suffers a minor cut that breaks the skin. For the stats, they’re both recorded as a GBH but if the victim didn’t want to support, then there is more chance of one of them being screened out than the other one.

Having worked in the Met and then moved to a county force, one of the county’s biggest issues is workload. There are less officers yet the official policy still seems to be that we will investigate everything fully. At a local level we have been told to be “ruthless” in getting rid of crimes in order to keep our heads above water but there is clearly a disconnect between local management and SLT which I’m sure will be the undoing of somebody soon.

Personally, I don’t have an issue with crimes being screened out immediately if there are good grounds for doing so but it needs to be done with the backing of the force leadership and I think victims should be contacted from the Crime Management Unit to inform them that the policy means their report will not be further investigated for reasons xyz. I think the Met is doing what they can to keep afloat but it doesn’t help the victims.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Is it any surprise that the public are losing confidence. There is an argument that you cannot screen crimes out until the scene has been visited. It is no surprise that sometimes when a neighbour is asked, "Have you seen anything" that occasionally the reply comes back "Yes I saw a youth who I know climbing through Mrs "A's" window".  The protection of Life and Property, the Prevention and detection of crime, etc.

I has to be a great temptation to screen out crimes without justification. As for a minor sexual assault where a complainant doesn't want to support a prosecution. As an experienced officer you should realise that those minor offenders can often go on to become rapists, as their behaviour deteriorates.

I agree with the assaults but that is the fault of the policy makers when a slap was a Common Assault and the Police would take no action as it was classed as a civil matter. Section 47 was when the skin was broken or serous bruising, and GBH depended on the severity of the injury and the intent to cause that specific injury.  The re classification of Common Assaults put a crazy workload increase whereby minor play ground scuffles became investigated crimes.

Member Achievements

Mac7

Whilst I don’t on the whole disagree Zulu, I would add that crimes can be screened out and filed fairly quickly where is no evidence. Part of me is pleased to see this as many officers will know when crimes aren’t going anywhere. When I first joined it was the opposite. Where it was evident crimes were not going anywhere you will still have to go to the nth degree to file it. Time that could have been better spent elsewhere. You have to remember officers have dealing with a huge increase in demand with severely less resources.

Member Achievements

JulietAlpha1
24 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

I has to be a great temptation to screen out crimes without justification. As for a minor sexual assault where a complainant doesn't want to support a prosecution. As an experienced officer you should realise that those minor offenders can often go on to become rapists, as their behaviour deteriorates.

And also as an experienced officer you should know that in the case of a minor assault there’s little to no chance of a prosecution if the victim/witness isn’t willing to go to Court. We still have to provide evidence. Why waste time on an investigation when the victim of crime isn’t themselves willing to support it when we could put that effort into an investigation that the victim is willing to support?

29 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Is it any surprise that the public are losing confidence. There is an argument that you cannot screen crimes out until the scene has been visited. It is no surprise that sometimes when a neighbour is asked, "Have you seen anything" that occasionally the reply comes back "Yes I saw a youth who I know climbing through Mrs "A's" window".  The protection of Life and Property, the Prevention and detection of crime, etc.

What you’re suggesting here is physically impossible. You yourself even state “occasionally” and how many of those people finish off with, “Yes I saw a youth who I know climbing through Mrs A’s window but you didn’t hear that from me.” Valuable information but utterly useless if you can’t corroborate it with something else that you can go to Court with.

Member Achievements

HazRat

Lazy journalism by FoI. It’s a great police bashing headline that we’re filing sexual offences within hours of reporting. Cue some quote from some interest group but without some context as to why an unspecified sexual crime has been filed as underfed, I’m not going to get excited. It could be the complainant made it clear that they don’t want to pursue the allegation or it could be a historical 3rd party report. Who knows? The context isn’t there. MentalHealth cop put out some good tweets about this last week:

Edited by HazRat

Member Achievements